U.S. psytrance scene?????

Guest pzeffan

Is it just me or does the U.S. have no psytrance scene??? I'm really frustrated when I read about all the cool parties happening in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. All of the bands I admire are from other countries as well. I'm a U.S. based psytrance producer and my band's name is Ghosthunter. I make that dark and demented kind of psytrance that borders on the edge of industrial. I want to break open into the scence but being from the U.S. I'm not sure where to start. I would love to play to a crowd but even their regular trance scene is pretty weak. If anyone knows some info about psy bands from the U.S. or a scene here I'd be happy if you shared what you know here. I'd be interested in hooking up with some other artists here to try to create a scene or promote our own parties. You can check out my music at http://www.mp3.com/ghosthunter. I'd be interested in hear opinions on my music because I'm not well known as of yet and haven't gotten much feedback. Thanks.

Guest pzeffan

I moved to Nashville Tn from Southern California back in December of 2002. This is such a drastic culture shock for me but I am adjusting. I moved here for family reasons (no I'm not from here but my inlaws have moved here from the midwest. I'm originally from Cleveland Ohio but I've lived in So Cal for the last 3 yrs and prior to that Pheonix for a little over a year.) I don't really call anywhere home anymore and I'm probably going to move again as soon as I finish with my school in August. (X-ray tech) I'm looking into maybe Portland Oregon or Seattle area as I here they have some sort of psytrance scene. I know Canada does and Vancouver is just over the border from Seattle. For now though...I'm stuck in what seems to be the middle of nowhere....unless you like Country Music, Gospel, Rap or R&B.

Hey pzeffan. I'm experiencing a very similar culture shock. I recently moved from Chicago to Asheville, NC (we're practically neighbors).

How about placing an ad in the local weekly paper ("Looking for trance/industrial record labels/promoters/artists...")? There might be some small underground industrial label there that might be interested in your music. You might also give Metropolis Records a shout. Think they're in Canada. Otherwise, if your music is really good you can always give the international labels a shot. I noticed, for instance, that there's an American artist or two on Sundance's Vibraspirit23. The key, I guess, is to get your music into as many hands as possible (self-promotion), whether or not they're labels.

Meanwhile, it seems every major city has their own scene, big or small; you simply have to find it. Did you do a Google search for "nashville psychedelic trance"?

Good luck. :)

Guest pzeffan

Thanks for the tips Epic Automata. I am kind of torn between the idea of finding a label to sign to and starting my own. I think it would be fun to start a U.S. based psytrance label. It is more a question of "are there enough people here for it to take off or will I have to go out of the states??" I haven't tried to do an internet search for a psychedelic scene here yet but I have physically searched the city and attended events at different venues with no luck. Still, I guess if I can't find one that doesn't neccessarily mean that there is no one here who likes that kind of music. Maybe there are people just sitting in the dark about the whole thing like me. =)

Ok I'm from canada (where theres a blossiming scene) heres what I know....

I know there is a huge party called burning man every year. and there is always headliner Psy artists (not to mention my freinds playing there)

and theres also north americas only psy lable:L Ceiba records; whick is out of sanfran.

basikly there is lots of psy in the us... and northamerica at that you just have to find it....

check out this

http://www.ceibarec.com/

www.djnokturnal.ca

also my top notch canadian crew always tying to bring hte bet of psychedlic to canada (including Kode IV the head of cieba records this oct)

http://www.katalystevents.com

oh ya don't forget Nuclear ramjet living here in Monterial..

Bom Bom

Xeruf

Guest blue spectral monkey

we are based in Asheville NC

www.touchsamadhi.com

full on parties

full UV deco

great djs (all can beatmatch haha)

outdoor events, if you are cool.

get in touch if you are in the southeast.

bom

BSM

www.touchsamadhi.com

full on parties

full UV deco

bom

BSM

www.touchsamadhi.com

full on parties

full UV deco

bom

BSM

damn sorry about the multipost.

the website gave me error messages i was just trying to get the word out;

touchsamadhi rules the south.

get in touch

bom

Guest pzeffan

**Hels** that's pretty funny but I don't think the rest of the world is ready for psychedelic country yet.

**xeruf** thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting that Canada isn't that far to travel. We're on the same continent for Christ's sake...your country is just so large I forget that big cities like ONtario and Vancouver sit at your borders. I'll be sure to check out the links you left. I guess I was just feeling discouraged but I haven't had the resources to conduct an adequate search until now. KIT. Pzeffan@hotmail.com http://www.mp3.com/ghosthunter

**blue spectral monkey** I got your email and I'm checking your stuff out right now. Kool tunes. I checked out www.touchsamadhi and it's nice to see that a trance community is developing so close to home. I'll send you an email to discuss further. Cheers.

bom shankar.....

i'm a FL native goa head...in west palm...got into the music in '99...

and spent the last 4 years in GOA, Japan, Australia, Thailand, India and Europe trying to figure out what it was all about. now i have been back in the USA

for about 4 days...and it's a little culture shock. ok, big shock.

up for positive psychedelic vibes, and keeping the healing cathartic goadelkic vibes that i picked up on the OTHER SIDE ..bringvibes alive back home

anyone can contact me,

brettborders@yahoo.com

monkey - Good to hear from you. I went to my first T.O.U.C.H. Samadhi party the other week (at the Bullseye building). It was great to see an organized event in this wonderful little town. The people, the deco and the vibe were all very nice. I couldn't, however, really enjoy the majority of the music since it was mostly progressive. Any suggestions? :)

i would disagree that most of the music was progressive.

it was mostly pretty full on that night, in fact people were going OFF. brain lizzard played a pretty minimal set but that was late late and most people were gone at that point.

kri and psyonic both rocked it hard, and my set was made up of mostly storming stompers from the likes of timecode and ambivalent and etnica.net and boom recs etc.

not sure what you consider to be progressive,

but in my opinion that wasnt it.

if you had called it - new school, i would agree with that...

progressive would be more like digital structures, spiral trax, etc?

none of that clubby style was played at all....

glad you had fun, and our djs are nice and you can always make a request or 2 if you feel the need.

oh and next time come up and say hi.

bom

i would disagree that most of the music was progressive.

it was mostly pretty full on that night, in fact people were going OFF. brain lizzard played a pretty minimal set but that was late late and most people were gone at that point.

kri and psyonic both rocked it hard, and my set was made up of mostly storming stompers from the likes of timecode and ambivalent and etnica.net and boom recs etc.

not sure what you consider to be progressive,

but in my opinion that wasnt it.

if you had called it - new school, i would agree with that...

progressive would be more like digital structures, spiral trax, etc?

none of that clubby style was played at all....

glad you had fun, and our djs are nice and you can always make a request or 2 if you feel the need.

oh and next time come up and say hi.

bom

I guess I was probably there at the wrong time (2-4am or so). What I heard was hard beats and lots of sound effects but little on top. I guess I need melodies to dance (unless it's tech trance). Sorry I missed your set. Next time I'll keep an ear out for your stuff, and I'll be sure to say hi. :)

Guest Zaratustra

Hi All,

I'm from San Francisco and there is a pretty good psy-trance scene out here. You can usually find a psy-party every weekend and there is even Thump Radio which is a twice a month all psy-trance club that gets pretty good attendence and often Headlines top Psy acts like Infected Mushroom, etc.

I spoke to the main guy in Infected Mushroom and he said that the San Francisco psytrance scene was the best in San Francisco. New York was #2 but barely there. He said that Mexico and Japan are the places to be for psytrance these days.

Guest Zaratustra

Hi All,

I'm from San Francisco and there is a pretty good psy-trance scene out here. You can usually find a psy-party every weekend and there is even Thump Radio which is a twice a month all psy-trance club that gets pretty good attendence and often Headlines top Psy acts like Infected Mushroom, etc.

I spoke to the main guy in Infected Mushroom and he said that the San Francisco psytrance scene was the best in San Francisco. New York was #2 but barely there. He said that Mexico and Japan are the places to be for psytrance these days.