Kick Drums Help

Guest Novacula

I am having a go at trying to get some sort of psychedelic trance out of Reason. The biggest problem I am having [apart from not have any idea how to make music] is that I can't for the life of me get a kick drum that sounds like a psy kick drum.

Whats the story. Do all these producers manufacture their own kick drum noises from a synth? Is there a sample pack from Jim the Psytrance Kick Drum Maker that I can't find? Are they standard samples of Kick Drum from Synth XX modified in some way ie Compressor or EQ'd at right places?

How the fuck do I get that oh so fantastic sound of a basketeball that we have come to love?

Are there and drum kits put together specifically for PSy Trance that you know of?

Any help appreciated.

Chers

Novacula

Guest soliptic

Well there are a few different answers to be had.

One - there are certain "classic" or "standard" kick drum samples - like the 808 for example.

Two - you can get really decent kicks out of basic "analog" style synthesis units (either an actual synth, whether hard or soft, real or virtual analog, or special kick synth things, there were a few decent ones for Buzz i remember). The essence is simply this: take a sine wave. specificy a frequency envelope, starting at a highish freq (150-250hz maybe) and falling to a lowing freq (50-80hz maybe) over a given period of time. add an amplitube envelope. thats about it - although distortion and overdrive helps to beef things up.

Similarly if u have a generic plonky kick drum you can get a more psy kick sound by applying a pitch envelope (starting higher, then falling).

Three - I have a few kick samples which are just exactly what I want from a kick. I have about 6 of these, at most, out of a collection of probably over 500 kick drums. So its really just a matter of searching, finding that classic sample or handful of samples, and then reusing them, perhaps with tweaks each time (no shame in that imho).

Guest MaNaMaO

Well said Hels,

as soon as I saw this forum I thought of the Infected site tutorial.

That is your best bet, you can use soundforge or cooledit or any program with a tone generator.

There's nothin' better then creating your own kick a tweeking it to perfection.

Best of Luck

Regards,

MaNaMaO

Guest blink

in the scope of making kicks using reason. i have a wonderful lil kick that i made with the reason subtractor. lots of pop with good low end (around 120hz). e-mail me and i'll send you the patch.

blink

Guest murklan

OHyeah.. i forgot a trick to make the kick sound softer is to uyse a bit of reverb on it.. in the background.. gives it more velocity...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tetsuo

if you boost the bass drop at around 4oo/500 and then boost a little after that i find it gives a nice sound... really doesnt work for all kicks though... try experimenting a little with eq...

• 1 month later...
Guest Negative Time

Since people have been mentioning sine waves I thought I would throw my 2 cents in:

A sine wave can be generated on any synth that has cut off frequency and resonance controls. If you cause a waveform to self oscilate (turning the resonance all the way up and cutoff half way or all the way down), it will create a sine wave.

Run that sine wave through a filter and amp envelope and you'll get a meaty synthesized kick. Compress, EQ and sample and your set. It involves alot of tweeking but alot of psy-trance you hear uses this technique to generate kick drums or percussion sounds.

It's also good to use a synthesizer (VA or analog) with a super fast attack (waldorf pulse, roland sh-101, access virus, etc etc) so you get super tight punchy sounds. If you have a synth like a Juno or Jupiter, with slower attack times; you can run the sound through some tight compression to make it sound more punchy.

If you have a synthesizer (not a rompler) and a compressor (software or hardware) then you have no excuse to not be making kicks! :)

regards,

Pat from Negative Time

Boston, MA, USA

Guest Negative Time

Since people have been mentioning sine waves I thought I would throw my 2 cents in:

A sine wave can be generated on any synth that has cut off frequency and resonance controls. If you cause a waveform to self oscilate (turning the resonance all the way up and cutoff half way or all the way down), it will create a sine wave.

Run that sine wave through a filter and amp envelope and you'll get a meaty synthesized kick. Compress, EQ and sample and your set. It involves alot of tweeking but alot of psy-trance you hear uses this technique to generate kick drums or percussion sounds.

It's also good to use a synthesizer (VA or analog) with a super fast attack (waldorf pulse, roland sh-101, access virus, etc etc) so you get super tight punchy sounds. If you have a synth like a Juno or Jupiter, with slower attack times; you can run the sound through some tight compression to make it sound more punchy.

If you have a synthesizer (not a rompler) and a compressor (software or hardware) then you have no excuse to not be making kicks! :)

regards,

Pat from Negative Time

Boston, MA, USA

Guest Negative Time

regards,

Pat from Negative Time

Boston, MA, USA