Will the Virus C make me sound like any other psyproducer?

Guest akindo

Hello friends! I'm just about to buy my first synth, but am a little unsure as to what to buy. I'm not asking a straight out question of "which synth to buy", I have done a lot of research and read many reviews and user opinions. I'm choosing between the Virus KC and Waldorf Q+.

My question is, since so many producers use the Virus C, isn't it likely that my sound won't be as distinct from the other producers'? But on the other hand, I would think synths are so versatile and infinite in their sound creation capabilities that this might not be an issue.

I will later, of course, buy more synths, but I will definitely get used to this one first.

The Waldorf Q+ definitely also sounds like a fat synth, especially with 100 voices and 16 analog filters. I have heard that the Virus C produces a more "in your face sound" though. Any comments on that?

It's so hard to choose! ;)

Thanks for any help!

akindo

Guest Mike Indidginus

Hello Akindo,

The Virus is a good choice. It's a good all round synth. But I believe that the Waldorf allows you to tune the keyboard to different scales, which is a bit of a bonus, & something I would like to be able to do with my Virus Indigo. I'm not entirely sure if it's the Q or Waves that does that though..... So you might want to check it out first before taking my word on it!

As for sounding like everyone else.... Some people would argue that's a good thing ;) I personally wouldn't. You needn't worry though. It's not the synth so much as your ideas that matter :) I've been using an Indigo for a while now, & I've not once been accused of sounding like all other producers :)

Guest Lunar

If you ask me defenetly the Q+!. I have the big yellow Waldorf Q Verion (only 16 voices) and it roxx! I have also a Nordlead 2 and i had a virus for a few days..Don't get me wrong all these synts are great and i really mean great! but the Waldorf Q sounds abit better..it's Osc and filters are awesome..sounds more alive! my Q have only 2 filters i can't imagine what you can do with 16 filters...but synths are like girls, only a matter of taste =)

Guest akindo

My question is, can the Waldorf Q+ still make those crazy, modern sounds you hear in a lot of stuff like Jahbo, Grapes of Wrath, Hux Flux, Digital Talk, Parasense, Neuromotor, and Hyper Frequencies, kind of more brain-twitching leads? When I hear them, I somehow think only a Virus could produce them, although I know little about synthesizers, weird. But it's hard to explain exactly what kind of sounds I mean. The best thing would be to try both in a shop, but there are none around here. I think I will get the Waldorf then, I really like the fact it has analog filters, which will give me a nice sound in this digital world. I listened to some digital/analog filter comparisons from Waldorf's website, and the sounds did sound really phaaat with the analog filters.

But thanks for your help guys!

akindo

Guest Pandable

In many cases the "modern" sounds you are hearing are neither of the aformentioned synths, but rather a return to a studio full of antiquated analog gear, ala simon posford's studio.

Guest Fredrik // Ethereal

Hmmm.. the Q+ does have 16 analog filters but the voice structure is identical between the Q and Q+, which means two filters / voice. The analog filters can be selected as Filter type and are dynamically allocated between the voices that uses them.

I also agree with that the Q/Q+ provides more flexibility and features but nothing comes free, because the sheer amount of possibilties means it's no "instant gratification" synth.. it takes some time to program new sounds.

The Virus, on the other hand, comes loaded with heaps of presets (they should be avoided!) and is easier to use, doesn't take a lot of time to come up with something useful.

/Fredrik

Guest Omar

I will probably have to make a similar choice in a hopefully not too distant future. Kind of hard picking one, I have to go to a store and give them a real test run :) . Kind of leaning towards the Q though (not the Q+ damnit, I'm on a budget) . If I don't decide to get a cheaper synth of course, like the Alesis ION, Novation KS4, KS5, Nord Lead 2X or even the Korg MS2000, all depends on how they sound and how nice they are to make sounds on. I know the new Novation synth are kind of limited in modulation possibilities, but so is the NL2X also, and damn it's nice to tweak out sounds on. Oh yeah the Nord Modular G2 seems kinda ok too :) .

As for creating different sorts of sound on the synths, the Q has some more possibilities of modulation sources and destinations. And the Q+ has those nice Analog filters that no other VA has, problem is you have to pay for them :( . If you want an instant gratification synth the NL2 is great!

Guest psy-puppy

listen omar to make good trecks there are lots of ways

and you dont have to buy expensive good synths to make crazy sound

today there are thousnds of vst and dx plugins and effects that if you know how to use them(you know one you know them all) you can make the best psytek and i know lots of artists that started from that and made full good selling album from keboards and computer.(like lish)

my advice for you start with that see how its goes and if its what you want go to buy more equiptment and good monitors should come before the synths.

Guest Slidingtrancer

A synth can sound so well, if you can't handle it, it's useless!!!

Buy a synth that has a distinct 'feel' and learn evcerything there is about it.It will make you do better decisions in the future...l

Guest akindo

Thanks a lot guys! Well, the Waldorf Q+ went up too much in price on ebay.com for me, so I'm gonna get the Virus KC. I think Fredrik is right, the Virus C somehow simpler to me, probably better for a beginner, I have also read elsewhere someone saying that it's nearly impossible not to make something useful come out of it, he he. And Slidingtrancer, yes, I think you are right, after having used one synth, you have a much better understanding of what to look for. I'm very much looking forward to it! Oh, and by the way, I don't plan to immediately start "producing" tracks, as I have a slow PC, SB 16 ISA, and not a very good stereo. But, I have summer vacation now, and wanna learn a synth. In about 6 months I will then buy the AMD Sledgehammer 64 bit CPU, once it's fallen in price.

Boom,

akindo

Guest Slidingtrancer

I'm gonna work alot this summer and try and save some on my vacation.

I will get myself a new soundcard in one or two weeks and then a pair of monitors will follow :P

Guest Woggzq

I differ! i think the Virus is horrible! i'd suggest a nord lead! they're much simpler, but lack fx onboard. thE Q+ is a FAR superior synth. but it definately is in a completely different price range. remember a lot of those producers usel ots of soft synth, like hux flux and reaktor... virus doesn't get that many crazy sounds. and honestly i don't think programming it is much of a joy! kind of a pain in the ass. If i were you i'd wait a month or two until the alesis ion comes out which will have i think about 4 or 5 times as much power ast he virus, allocated to less voices, so each voice will sound better. the ion definately will be a break through

me personally i'm an analog fanatic:- ) i can't deal with most VA, i like the nord lead 2, nord lead 1, those are bad ass synths with character. I like the Q, very GOOD, veyr deep in programming, but honestly there's the microQ out there, and it'll give u the same sounds, unfortunately not as a nice of an interface, but for $1000 less I think getting used to sound diver wouldn't be a bad thing. the Virus i think sounds like shit, and most VSTs can make it's sound. If u go hardware the only reason to go hardware naymore is i fyou're getting analog.

Oh yea if you really want nutty sounds get a nord modular for the cheap prices they're selling for now. itll be a good learning curve, but so will the virus. and believe me the virus does take some talent to make sound good. you'll probably enjoy it though:- ) i'm just a sound snob... the virus a was one of my first synths, and i thought it was wicked at the time, but now i have lots of experience with analog...and realize the virus's flaws...

i'd go on but my cat's meowing at me and i think i went off on a random tangent, i'm tired and hungry don't mind me;o