yes... sometimes I could need the help of you all :o)

Guest jaabdaaj

hi :o)

I sometimes use jeskola buzz to learn about music and about communication between us humans and I am wondering about why it is not possible for me to find a way to put my own ideas into a track. am I too locigal in myself, do I use the wrong soft or do I just need additional informations? :o(

I believe (I am of course not sure if it is provable) that sounds and melodies can do the same thing to our mind as reading a book does.

When I am reading a good book (e.g. the german translations of Philip José Farmer's "Riverworld" or "World Of Tiers") the lights in my head go down and a movie starts to play.

But that's not all with reading: As long as you read the book a continuosly following of pictures is presented to your mind and makes your mind building a movie. You would remember the movie as a combination of a few special scenes (highlights), a lot of shadows (scenes you can't remember) and -most important- your private summary of the (multi-)medial stuff that is brought to all your senses (believe me: it's not just the eye that is "touched" if you read a book. e.g.: you have a haptic impression if you touch the book | the book is not too large in it's physical dimensions to avoid that you feel lost in control about it and other things like that).

I always had this "summary-thing". Equal if I read a book, listened to some music or watched a movie. And I am interested in learning more about that. How do I create a "song"? how can I draw a landscape and how can I paint it with my own colours? :o)

I think I don't want to listen to finished examples because they will destroy my own thoughts but it is always interesting to have knowledge access to theories that could help to develop my own experiences. Any good idea?

Guest llazi

My suggestion here

First you need to know what kinda music you intend doin.

Try thinking of what style you would like to interpret.

After you made a choise try listening to these artists very carefully.

listen to every loop and brake and type of sound and....

After this you schould be enough expert to try using the sounds that are in your head with the combination of the style that you now know well and also seeking.

of course while doin that you schould really take time for your self, relax, take a joint ...

what you think

Guest jaabdaaj

hm...

my problem is: every time when I am arranging some stuff in a track it sounds good, it sounds like music for me and so on (if you know what I mean...). It's just my own interpretation.

But every time when I play it for one of my friends (they don't listen to electronic music) it sounds boring and I don't feel satisfied and when I compare it to the music that I like it can't stand the test...

I put one result of my work into the contest (although I know that I'm not good enough for that I don't care about my position. I put it into because I want infos :o) to get more detailed informations about what could be wrong with it. Maybe the track is somewhat boring. Anyone could (and would) tell me. That's better than to have a reaction like: "Uuh. I am sorry, but I don't listen to this kind of music. It sounds interesting but I don't have any idea what you have done there and if it is good or not."

Guest llazi

Well that's another problem.

When you show your track to friends who doesn't listen to psy it's more that normal that they will not dig it.

I mean even if you play something from big names they will still not dig it. It will sound boring to them.

So don't worry about it. Just try to please your self with the music you make more and more each day :) If you feel you are progressing with your work, then everything is fine. Just keep working on.

I don't know if buzz is that suited for psy. I my self use reason and find it much more confortable

Guest soliptic

yes, buzz is not making life easy for yourself.

the problem with this --

>> when I compare it to the music that I like it can't stand the test...

-- is that you have to fulfil two criteria. first, the musical side. second, the production side. to master any one of these is an amazing achievement... considering that with "old fashioned" music, an engineer would spend a life time learning how to mic up drumkits, vocals, etc; the band members would know how to play their instruments; the producer would know how to produce the track given good engineering from his engineer, and so on. now you have to be your own:

songwriter

engineer

programmer

performer

producer

mixing engineer

mastering engineer

thats quite a list, and it takes years to become half decent at all aspects. Myself, I had 10 years experience in music before starting to produce, which meant i was OK on that side. but it has since taken me 5 years to learn good engineering (clean, hard, well compressed, well eq-ed noises; well mixed, well mastered tracks; etc). I've now spent so long concentrating on engineering, making sure i get that down right, instead of making over-complex music with poor production values, that now i'm starting to wonder if i still know how to write interesting music.

So... its difficult basically. Dont let me put u off - its the best hobby/job in the world, or i wouldnt do it like i do - but it is hard, and you have to expect at least a few years of disappointing results before making stuff which honestly compares with professional stuff.

i've seen some people do it in under a year, but they had the benefit of a very rich learning environment (ie, they lived with people who had been doing it for 10 years).

if u wanna learn as quickly, first start listening really hard to tracks. develop CRITICAL listening skills. when u hear music, even on the radio or in a shop, u should be analysing its production in frequency-domain terms, structure and arrangement, etc, etc - without even realising it! and then copy what it is good.

a lot of people hate the idea of copying but honestly its the best practice. you cant innovate until you can make a solid track. besides, u dont copy people's music, u just copy abstract things about them which work very well - like the way a certain drum hit sounds, or work out why a particular buildup manages to get the crowd so wild, or whatever.

Guest soliptic

yeah... btw... u also had a very good point about rolling a spliff. that helps. at least, i hope it does, i smoke enough of em :)

good post soliptic!

you should save that for other people who are getting into producing!

its not easy!!!

im the same as you, i've played guitar and keys 9 years or so as well as composing/theory instruction (i dunno if thats a good thing... :)

so i have that aspect covered

and now ive jumped into producing and engineering and it was quite overwhelming at first!

the important thing is to keep at it...

and its hard to deal with...

I recomend to ya all playing an organic instrument... after some time, you can really get a different feel of music.. using the words my friend said when he started playng eletric guitar: "i'll never gonna be the same" ehehheheeh

U need to learn the techniques that enables you tou express yourself, and that techniques are: songwriter, engineer, ... etc so U need to know very well all tools that you will have to use... a music man is someone of a kind, he has to dominate all sort of things so he can express easily

kinda like, im playing with fruity over a year, now I wanna make something I make it more easily - i imagine a sound in my head and SOMETIMES i can make it in fruity because now I know the tricks of the trade... but there is much more to learn....