Specific Sound question

Guest --SYNTH--

How can i make this twisted known synth sound like a lot of songs has???

EXAMPLES:

gms vs x-wave - have some (starts at 1:32)

gms - who am i (starts at 1:56)

gms vs psysex - imprint (starts at 1:53)

astrix - eye to eye (starts at 2:01)

atomic_pulse_-_monster_dna_rmx (at 3:45)

sesto sento - the year 83 (starts at 3:07)

PS: give me details plz....and forget about real synths.....i have only soft synths :)

--PSY 4 EVER--

peace

You know, not too long ago I was thinking of asking the same questions...but then, I decided to just use my ear :P

Practice and you will understand :P

If someone says...oh reso=this and high pass filter that...or something its sort of missing the point...you should search to create these sounds yourself or you may as well just hire an engineer :P

I guarantee if you sit at your puter 4 hours a day for a few months you can have some of these full on sounds you speak of

just as you can begin playing beethoven songs on piano if you practice :P

sorry, hope this helps a little...

Guest soliptic

i'd be happy to try and help out, but i dont have any of those tracks

if there is a short clip or stream or legal download or something available, let me know (no, i'm not trying to trade the whole tracks)

Guest .:::EP

Why do you want to copy other bands sounds? make your own sounds..This way you will be unique and don't sound like the majority today.

good luck :-)

Guest jsainsbury

seriously though the key to most psy sounds:

experiment with high resonance, 4/8 pole filters, high pass or low pass

really short attack/ release, fast rate modulation, find a similar preset and tweak it using these methods and you will get close im sure, i do not have the tracks you mention to compare, show us asample?

EP,

Remembering your older releases, the basic filtered saw was everywhere... as it was in most GOA tracks back in 95/96. Were you copying other artists? I think not.. IMHO, these are the "bricks" most psy tracks are built of, and there's nothing wrong about that.. if it sounds so good, why not use it? And, really, learning how to make a certain sound that's on your mind is a big part of the process.

Back to the original question, I haven't heard any of the above-mentioned tracks, but I bet it's something FM-ish :)) At least, that's what GMS use 90% of the time.

---

Guest triplex

astrix - eye to eye.

are you talking about the soft lead starting at 1.53 ?

or about the high passed lead which starts at 2.18 ?

the first one is a surprisingly simple sound which sounds great. no sustain, some decay to the volume and filtering. the oscilator has to be simple SAW but other combinations will work as well. The reason why the lead sounds great is the careful EQ setting (low pass) with some resonance. A bit of reverb (just before the point where it can be heard) and an obvious 3/4 delay is what this thing is all about.

the second lead's oscilator is something more complicated than a simple saw, maybe went through some ring oscilation or hard clipping algorithm which created some harshness, definetely removed some freequency elements with an EQ (the sound is band passed) and the final outcome is being feeded in a phazer or flanger unit.

atomic pulse - monster dna rmx

this is a clasic gms'like sound. The oscilator is saw but with an obvious amount of frequency modulation controled by an lfo, so the main saw oscilator starts developing other frequencies as well. 2 LFOs controlling the frequency modulation of the original oscilator might do the job. play around and you will get the gms sound. EQ is needed as always to remove everything that is below 60-70-100 hz and generaly do whatever you feel like. boost the mid-highs if you want to produce an even harsher effect which will have big impact on how strong this sound will sound.

Note that when you get the sound you want, you are only half way through. The real accomplishment is when you have generated your own sound but have also managed to play it appropriately, in a way which will make it sound even better.

hope this helps

ps. the information and the terminology I used is a way of how I think of these things. This does not mean that what I said is correct.

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

I'm with EP - I just came out of the most serious writers block ever, and the only way out was to think new... And play computergames... There are some freaky sounds out there. What a cool job that would be, to make sounds for computer games. Anyone know if Blizzard's hiring?

.oO Andreas Oo.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest soliptic

> maybe went through some ring oscilation or hard clipping algorithm which

> created some harshness,

sounds to me like it could have been sample-rate reduction?