DC offset

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Hey kits... This is ussually whenever you convert a wav files bit or sample rate, or even when you record from a DC (Direct Current) anologue peice of gear. This is actually very important if your using waves that have DC offset in them... Your loosing alot of amplitude, and it actually can wear down your speakers a lot easier. It's always best to analyze you're waves if you create them yourself. Wavelab has a good analyzer that i normally use, it also removes it pretty well. If you are just using standard files in Fruityloops i'm sure the company removable all crap that occured in the conversion (if they even used it) before selling it. Mainly used if your importing files!

yah, ok i thought so..... so in theory there should be no reson to need dc correction in any digital signal created with softsynths.... is this correct?

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Right... Let me correct myself... 'Dithering' is what you should do when you convert a file to a different samplerate/bit rate. I was really tired, and i dont know why i put that in that... Everything else applies.

The average value of a waveform should be 0 - this means the speaker cone spends equal energy either side of its rest position. DC offset is what you get if there is a constant voltage on top of the waveform - a signal oscillating at 0Hz is effectively a direct current. On a spectrum analyser you can see a DC offeset if the lowest frequency of the graph is at a constant level, or never goes below a certain value. A spectrogram will show a continuous line for the lowest frequency. To get rid of a DC offset, EQ the sample with a low cut filter set to 30Hz or less.

Confused? Sorry.

Colin