Gallup

Guest Jolly Roger

Tiny gallup for psytrance musicians and musician wannabes.

Who you think is the most skilled musician still alive and why?

Guest Tranceptor

I am, because I have soo much potential at 21 :D

hehe

I dunno who's the most skilled, every 'best of a genre' artist is skilled.

Even people who make chartcrap are skilled at making a good living out of it.

Guest Mindbender

Skilled in what way?

Skilled in making super-complicated very "hard" stuff?

Or skilled in making very simple tunes that still work superbly together?

Skilled in making music for the public?

Being a virtuoso player of some instrument?

Skilled in composing?

Skilled in producing?

Skilled in searching new areas and having original ideas?

Skilled in making that which others do already, better than anyone else does?

Skilled in what?

Music is all subjective.

Lauri

Guest Ancientz

Simon Posford ( also known as , Hallucinogen,Shpongle,Younger brother,Infinity Project,Nomad of dub,and many others)

Why? Creativity

Guest Jolly Roger

What I mean by the best that he or she is just skilled musician. If you have many candidates just choose the one you think makes the best music. It's easy.

Guest Jolly Roger

"Best musician, definitly not any of the psytrance groups around..."

Heck! You destroyed my joy. I just wanted to check how many dumbasses (sorry if I offended you Ancientz) mention psytrance artist.

I tought that 50% would answer Elvis or Beatles because they know that would be stupid to mention psytrance artist so they try to pick a artist that they think "everybody" (read: hardly anyone but the answerer doesn't know it) respect.

I think that none of psytrance artists aren't very skilled afterall. If you don't believe me try to listen something extremely technical music (try Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Tarkus) and then listen to your favourite psytrance song by "the greatest musician of the world". I bet the greatest artist of the world doesn't sound so great anymore.

Guest Mindbender

Well, the most skilled player of an instrument I know, is a friend of mine who plays electric bass guitar. I couldn't believe all the things a bass could do before I heard him. Pure virtuoso and very creative. Miles Davis couldn't do better with his sax.

He also has a band, Djizuss (pronounced Jesus) and they are currently making their first record, which is metal/industrial/techno fusion, the weight being on metal, but not as we know it. I'm really looking forward for this.

He is also very skilled in piano, cello, guitar and he also makes electronic music (well, mainly the electronic parts for the band... and he composes songs for them).

I think you will hear about him in the future... Only 20 now, so he hasn't had time to come up. The other members of the band are also exceptionally skilled, so maybe Djizuss will rise in its present form.

"What I mean by the best that he or she is just skilled musician. If you have many candidates just choose the one you think makes the best music. It's easy."

Jolly Roger... What the hell do you mean by a skilled musician??? There are so many skills that are part of music making. The above answer is palying an instrument-style. You could for example choose most skilled in theory.

Lauri

Psy ain't about amazing technicality... and technicality ain't no measure of good or bad music. It is all between the ears of the listener.

in my opinion the best is Ravi Shankar... plays the sitar......

but btw... psytrance is a different genre altogether, we use technology to make sounds.. mozart might have been way more artistic and talented than any of the musicians today, but he lived in an age without computers.... its pretty much like a really good thoroughbred against a ferrari, the rider of the horse may be infinitely more skilled than the ferrari rider, but all the jockey's skills put together will not match the ferrari driver in the race.....

so although jolly ranger, you might think you have made a breakthrough in reading a psy fans mind, don't think you know it all..... and respect other people's music. i am saying this, because you mentioned that you posted the topic just to poke fun at others..... i think that it is a very pseudo and thereby dumb attitude to have... because an artist is a justifier not a judge.. who wants to be a damn judge anyway?

and if ancientz thinks simon is the best, well he has every right to think so.... music is subjective, unlike most other things in life, there is no real scale to measure its greatness.... so dude grow up////

Guest Jolly Roger

Dear GC

One year back someone did this gallup in other forum and there the Elvis lived and Beatles were the greatest. I checked was this still true but, alas, it wasn't. So this was a pure test.

I'm not comparing the genres. I just want to know what makes an artist to sound skilled for psypeople. Is it the mastering of an instrument, the composing skills, the studio engineer skills or all skills in a nice package.

I'm not comparing the production methods. The music is music no matter what instruments and techniques are used to produce the final product. The ferrari versus jockey story gives me an image that every musician who can't play a "real" instrument rely on technology and that way get better than the traditional musicians. If I got the point right I think your story is like a crippled monkey with artifical limbs... Err.. Maybe I'll think up a better comparisation next time.

I'm not trying to read psy fans' minds. I've got bored to it long time ago. Telecinetic ability is incredible. I think you're talking to my brother Jolly Ranger but he's out right now so I'll deal with you for him. Friends call me just Jolly but it's Mr. Jolly Roger The Space Avenger Lord for you. I think I'm comfortably floating towards complete shun of the psyscene. Hooray!

"Who wants to be a damn judge anyway?" I want to be one only if I get that fancy wig and a wooden hammer. Silence in court!

I very sorry for Ancients. You're right. He has all the right to choose his or her musical heroes. By the way there is an extremely accurate scale for measuring the greatness of music but there are two problems. The first problem is that every people has a diffirent kind of scale and thus everyone has a diffirent opinion on the greatest artist and the second problem is that some people don't take care for their scales so their scale is broken. Hoho!

Enough sarcasm for now. I hope the amount of peas in your nose doesn't exceed the legal maximum amount of green vegetables in nostrils.

-Best regards, Jolly Roger - Formal uncoolness and ruthless space battles since 2002.

Miles Davis wasn't considered a great virtuoso by any means...AND he played trumpet not sax. Miles was a pioneer of his time and a great improviser but was not a technical wizard...thats not why he was great.

Guest Slidingtrancer

I don't understand why people would call psychedelic masters 'unskilled' compared to classical composers. It's just a completely different ballgame. Most composers lay down something emotional, but earthly. With psytrance is the meaning to create an 'out of this world' atmosphere. Considering music theory, of course classical artists rule any genre with their modern scale and progressions. The skill of making psytrance is something completely different than making a brilliant musical genius composition. Trance needs to be repetetive as were classical music has a 'theme' and i think those are two completely different things with different approached.

As far as to call Beatles musical geniuses I would like to point out half the group didnt know any musical theory and didn't know how to hit a fly with their instruments when they began making music. I doubt their music is that special really, they were just ahead of their time. I doubt if any of their songs would have made it in our modern era...

Hels already pointed out Miles Davis and I think Mindbender ...

Above all, music is personal and thus subjective. I know people who think top40 stuff is brilliant! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

just my two euro cents

Guest Mindbender

Yes, I probably should shut up, really...

I just took the first example of an appreciated musician that came to mind... Most virtuoses are anyway in classical music... Doesn't make it any better for me, though I like some once in while, but... Yes, I will shut up, for I'll make a fool out myself again...

Lauri

Guest Mindbender

I will just add: as music is subjective, I am in no doubt that the fact that this bass player is my friend is influencing my judgement... but that's just the way it goes...

Lauri

Guest blink

i can only say that jolly roger's sad attempt to psycho-analyze his peers was a horrible failure. you approached a subject so vaguely, and attempted to place rhyme and reason to a purported concept that you had in your head, to people who never really cared what you were talking about anyway.............very boring

the opinions expressed by Slidingtrancer and KS, were the best opinions i think that could have been expressed objectively, under such subjective pretentions. music is nothing more thana concept. if i mentioned dizzy gillespsie now as my favourite, some people might agree or see the genius in him, but if i mentioned that 50 years ago, most people would have called his 'e-bop' noise.

have a (valid) point next time please.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thesoul

roger waters.

he may not be a great composer, but he succeeds in conveying the emotion in his songs.

his songs are full of desperation, ... and depression.

i think that a musician is someone who can convey any mood in a song.

and in that case,

i think simon posford is a genius.shpongle really can make you dream.

especially in psy trance, i think the delta side of x-dream definetely deserves a mention

oh , and in ambient, just listen to some of hariprasad chaurasia.

he's a flute player from india.

there will be a lot of similarities between chaurasia and shpongle [raja ram, flute] though.

Guest thesoul

hey i forgot to mention,

there's one more man, his name is michael cretu,

he is the man behind enigma.

remember sadeness part2 etc???

he is one of the very early pioneers of todays electronic music.