Synth questions...

Well I'm not sure where to start...I suppose it started at guitar center the other day and I was playing with a Korg MS2000r (the rackmount one) and I thought it rocked like hell from what I could do with it in just 15 minutes. But I've been reading about all kinds of other keyboards/synths such as the Nord Lead and the Jp8000 which seem to be very popular among psy/goa trance people. So basically I was just wondering if someone could give me a few of the advantages and disadvantages of some of those keyboards, or some new suggestions even. Also, are there any differences to the keyboard unit and the rackmount ones? For instance the MS2000; the rackmount unit was like 300 dollars cheaper than the keyboard, so if there's no difference wouldn't it be wiser to get the rack version and get a cheesy keyboard to control it (which I already have...)?

Thanks a bunch

Matt

Guest Andreas Chatzakis

Well the Ms2000 is a cool synth.But do you have any other synths/gear? I ask because the MS2000 doesnt offer big multitimbrality wich means you wont be able to write a complete track with it unless you record some parts to free up MS2000 voices. Have a look at the Virus,the Virus Rack, the Waldorf Q and the Waldorf microQ.

They have better specs. But whatever the case go to a store and listen to their sound.Choose the synth you like its sound most.You are going to spend a serious amount of money so you should really listen before you buy.

my suggestion, dont' g et any va bullshit save the money and get a super sfast computer :)....which can do what the VAs can do+a lot more:)...get a doepfer drehbank if you like knobs...:) analog is best, but not very reasonable on many budgets...but you should get one just t osample at least like most goa artists used to do..;o

Guest Inukko

Hey DPD,

Is the sound quality OK when

you do that? I mean, sample

old synths... they don't exactly

have SPDIF outputs. The

sound is analog, but still,

that's one more cable...

isn't it?

Guest Andreas Chatzakis

Thats not a problem. Get a good audio card and you will have no problems. I must disagree about the VA synths. Having a real synth (even if it is a virtual analog) with knobs on it and zero latency can be very inspirational. Playing with the mouse on a soft synth is not the same.And with a multitimbral synth you are more flexible. Because if you sample a synth you then have something static that cannot be tweaked to make it fit perfectly in the mix. I am not saying you cant make quality music with just a Pc. Far from it. But having a real multitimbral synth can help you create better music faster.

Well, I my first and only (so far) synth is an MS2000 and while I'm completely happy with the synth and the ffffffat sounds I can get out of it, a better synth to buy first up would've been a Nord Lead or Access Virus so you canhave way more drums/synth/fx's patches playing at once (as said above). The MS2000, however is great for some sick leads or fattarse basslines and twisted melodies over the top.

Guest Andreas Chatzakis

Inukko the analog to digital converters on professional samplers are excelent so you wont have any audible difference when you sample.Just use quality cables,turn off your computer mopnitor while you are recording and record at the highest volume possible without crossing the 0db limit that will cause clipping. And you should really sample whole loops not single hits from the synth because singe hit samples are static.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Elysium Project

Go for the Nordlead and or the Nordmodular or the Korg and dont be fooled to think that the JP 8000 is a killer synth...... it isn´t...... It is just a easy synth to program (compared to other synths) and I strongly believe that is why so many so-called psy artists use it.....

I make trance and I use all kinds of different synths ...even a Korg Triton Rack....a Modular....and a old Jupiter 8 just to mention a few.... It really do not matter what all the rest use....... make up your own mind,,,,, that way you will have your own sound and uniqueness and stand out from alot of artists that in my ears sound too similar nowadays.....