What are the TYPES of psytrance... Several Questions:

Okay, this is to ANYONE with answers, ideas, information...

I was wondering how many types of psytrance there are? Can anyone help address these questions below or any insight?

Okay, for example, I am aware that "Dark Soho" and "Xenomorph" is dark psytrance, but Dark Soho is stomping for the dance floor so is it full-on, dark psytrance? Also, they both have horror, atmospheric sounds too. Does that mean it is literally called ... (Dark, "horror" psytrance] or simply "dark (such as Miranda) Psytrance that happens to have "evil" or "horror" tones and style?

Second, I think that Astral Projection is full-on psytrance, right? Because full-on means lots of energy and continuous, right? Yet would you call Hallucinogen, Infected Mushroom, or X-DREAM, "FULL-ON," because you can dance to those too, or are those actually not full-on or does it really go by the track such as if one track is ambient it isn't full-on as opposed to an album that has all dance tracks?

Third, is the classic word "GOA" the same as "psytrance" when used as relative to this music, or is it not? I read somewhere that GOA is the older sound of psytrance, like some people say, ... "oh I miss the old, classic goa sound. Music has changed and doesn't have the old Goa sound, like Chi-A.D." Isn't the word "GOA" simply a generalization for psytrance or is it a specific word related to a time before psytrance broke up into multiple sub-categories, such as minimal psytrance, full-on, neo, etc...? I am aware that the islands off India (island called GOA) is where GOA originally formed, or so I read, but does it mean psytrance, for ex: is "minimal psytrance" truly considered GOA in anyway? I always looked at the word "GOA" as more special so I hope not, but it seems that the word "GOA" is taken out of context and misconstrued in too many ways. Can someone explain this?

Lastly and for the record, just how many category's are there in psytrance, and I don't mean house, trance, techno, drum and bass, trip-hop, I know that stuff and how to differientiate it... I mean how many category's of psytrance are there? It sounds way too lacking and weak to classify Hallucinogen as simply, "Psytrance?", right? what do we look for to distinguish one style from another?

Anyone?..

Thanks!

Guest bazooko

"buttrock goa" yeah that gave me a good laugh too :)

most odd term i heard recently: "aggressive chillout" wtf? O_o

now i read through the whole text - so my 2cent:

dark soho is dark psy, at times its even tech trance. AP is full on psytrance or melodic psytrance. hallucinogen has his own style :) but more on the full on side, because its always something going on and its not repetetive. IM is full on too, except their more experimental/ambient stuff ("other side" ;)) x-dream evolved from former full on days to now more progressive/minimal stuff, it can get "techy" (-->techtrance) at times too.

imho only the "older sounding" psytrance is refered to as goa. but as you mentioned, the term is often for psytrance/psypartyies in general.

Guest OFFICER BUNCH

SO MUCH TO LEARN YOUNG WARRIORS....BUT YOUR ON THE RIGHT PATH!! CHECK THE WEB FOR THE GOA DAYS STORY. THERE ARE LOTS OF DIFFENT TYPES OF PSY, THERE ARE LOTS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF "GOA TRANCE" GOA HOWEVER WAS NOT MEANT TO BE CLASSIFIED AS ONE STYLE OF GENRE LIKE PSY TRANCE HAS SLOWLY EVOLVED TO BE OVER THE YEARS DUE TO MAINSTREAM, MARKETABILITY, AND THE OVERALL FORGETFULLNESS THAT GOA HAS FAR MORE TO DO WITH SPIRTUALISM THAN A TRIPPY SOUNDING MUSIC. i CHALLENGE YOU TO TALK TO PEOPLE THAT WERE ON THE BEACHES OF GOA DURING THE MOVEMENT WHICH STRECHES FAR BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE TERM "GOA TRANCE" tHE STORY IS FACINATING AS IT IS INFORMATIVE EVERY TIME IT IS TOLD.

AS FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF PSY TRANCE, MOST OF IT ALL REFERS TO THE BASELINE. yOU CAN HAVE MELLOW MELODIC FULL ON(USUALLY JUST MELLOW PSY WITH THE CRAZY FULL ON BASSLINE) tHE MORE YOU LISTEN TO IT ALL THE MORE YOULL FIND OUT ON YOUR OWN. tHAT REMINDS ME: LISTEN TO THIS YOURSELF AND DONT ASK PEOPLE WHAT IS WHAT. whAT YOU LIKE IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING I CAN EXPLAIN TO YOU ABOUT IT!! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY