VA -Take Over

caban

Compilation: Take Over

Label: Resonant Earth ( http://www.resonantearth.com )

Posted Image

Tracklist:

1. partickle - introspection (6:56)

2. skeletone - roots (6:46)

3. dosage - congo (7:13)

4. skallstars - cyclopcybin (6:47)

5. dosage - shuma (8:04)

6. svemirko - LSD 500 (9:18)

7. illusionary vizions - stone age (8:33)

8. dosage - fensy trolls (7:40)

9. skallstars - trepanation (6:24)

10. psoma - synthetic (7:59)

The review:

The latest compilation in the Resonant Earth catalogue is this: Take Over. The promo says this: Do you like the playfulness and funkiness of soumi, but also the heaviness and depth of old-school and the energy of full-on? Then you better get ready for Take Over! A collection of exclusively Macedonian morning trance with a unique sound that will make feet move and faces smile.

Ok promo's are mostly smart talk about how something is supposed to be so good. Let's just cut to the chase then.

Track 1: We start off with this track from Partickle. It starts off immediately with some strange sounds and a dry muffled kick which gets clearer and then a simple bassline comes in and you're off. A nice simple melody progresses you further into the song and the bassline gets more trippy like. When the acidic loops start to come in it's tripping all through to the end. Nice track, although it took some listens for me to get into this, but it might be because I've been listening too much progressive, ambient and hardcore lately.

Track 2: A loop starts off this one and at about 15 secs the bassline comes in which immediately gets my interest because it sounds pretty fat. This definately has an old school vibe to it for sure. It proceeds in an old school manner too, working towards a big psychedelic climax. All in all, this is a stormer, and far more 'in there' than track 1. Great stuff.

Track 3: More in the vein of track 1 again, a simple dark bassline, a little slower, sounds flying all over the place, not as much coherence as say track 2. Proceeds to end pretty trippy though and I like the effects in this one. Good track.

Track 4: Typical forest trance with a standard bassline, and a high weirdness factor. Like the melody at 5:30 and onwards which sounds a little muffled but makes a nice change. Ok track, but not one of the best here.

Track 5: Dosage takes it up a notch compared to the previous track and this stuff is pretty good. More acidic and coherent and it has that old school kinda feeling to it again. Pretty psychedelic and pretty good.

Track 6: The longest track on here and it shows because this takes time to build. It sounds a little slower than some other tracks but it might just be imagination. Not as wild and psychedelic as some other tracks before, but still this is not bad.

Track 7: Starts off immediately with bass and kick and this one is more into the wild and psychedelic territory again. Doesn't really work towards a climax but there's a satisfying amount of psy-tinted flavour in here to keep your minds busy. Ok track.

Track 8: Dosage again and this is fatter sounding once more and a little slower. Works towards a nice finale, not too psychedelic and those dark pads and pounding bassline make this a more darker track than some that have gone before. A sample saying something about 'extraterrestrials' takes your mind back to the good old days. Nice track.

Track 9: Quite standard track with some acidic flavour but not much surprises. Ok stuff, but certainly not one of the better tracks.

Track 10: The last track is pretty fat sounding, it has a pounding kickdrum and bassline and it all sounds pretty dark and psychedelic. Finishes off with some nice acidic sounds and good percussion work. Good track.

Conclusion:

If you like compilations from a label like say: Stone Age Records, then you're all set with this. This is nice acidic, dark and most of all psychedelic forest trance and no mistake. There are some standard tracks here, but for the most part this compilation manages to keep me interested all the way through. In a time where there are a lot of average compilations released this is pretty good stuff. Thumbs up to Resonant Earth for releasing this. 8/10 from me here.

My advice: listen to some of the samples online, you might be surprised.

Get it here:

http://www.resonantearth.com

(That's basically all you need to know)