peace or freedom ?

please answer the poll question : do you prefer a world in peace , or a world that would fight for its freedom if neccessary?

thanks for any answers or comments....

by the way, I would go for freedom.

deep question.. i would also go for freedom, though it pains me to say so in light of the goodness of peace... how apt, for today's climate.. you make me think, thank you

Guest Ktrance

Very difficult question. To tell you the truth I dont know.

I think I would prefer freedom, but then I doesnt live in a war torn country, where killing and starvation are everyday matters.

after a minute of thinking i really cant decide... but i guess its ok to fight for freedom if its the authentic reason of the fight...

what we r seing now as freedom fights, has nothing to do with genuine freedom, but power.

hard one...

Guest konysus

i would definitely go for freedom even if if means fighting for. freedom usually comes at a cost but for me the idea of freedom is worth quite alot to get there, imposed peace were everyone lives in fear and under the control of someone else is pointless, for me its better to have freedom at the risk of sometimes having the peace threatened.

though i can appreciate that that from were i am looking at it at the moment i am not faced with war or fighting so maybe in different circumstances my opinion would be different.

Why peace OR freedom? Seems to me it's a totally illogical up question implying you can only have one or the other but not both. As in:

"What would you prefer, if you could only have one of the following:

a) your heart beating, or

B) being able to breathe"

Peace and freedom are both attainable on a personal level for EVERYONE, RIGHT NOW. All you have to do is make the change in your perceptions and thereby your actions (ok, maybe it's not quite that simple but you know what I mean).

For example, imagine if everyone thought this way...

PEACE: I try my hardest to act towards others as I would like them act towards me. I realise I cannot always succeed, but when I fail I do all in my power to show the other person that it was not meant personally, and make good my failing. As my life progresses I know I will fail less and less often, as my experience and wisdom increases. A person who attacks me - whatever form that attack takes - does not know me (or they'd know I was no threat to them), and so their attack should not be taken personally. Retaliation serves no purpose other than to perpetuate bad shit.

FREEDOM: My actions are constrained only by my desire to act, my confidence in the success of my actions, and my desire for peace. I accept responsibility for the results of my actions. As the Beatles said, "There's nowhere you can be that you're not meant to be" - If I obey a stop-sign it's because I don't want to cause an accident, not because I've been told to stop. My dealings with people are all in good faith, thereby eliminating fear and paranoia.

The above is a very poor statement of what I believe, and I realise it sounds idealistic, but I think it shows that peace and freedom are in no way mutually exclusive, but two sides of the same coin.

Wars will end when soldiers (who are, after all, people like you and me) refuse to fight.

Read a bit of Robert Anton Wilson (especially the Cosmic Trigger series) for more information on changing your reality.

Colin

Guest spacemonkey - 604

well i think it isn't a poor statement.

peace can be given in a society like the one for example discribed in "a brave new world".

Freedom there is no option you do what your tolld, even further you are made the way to do best and only what is good for society and therefore peace.

freedom is gone for peace is such a society, and in the end people will want freedom.

But i don't think it realy is a matter of choosing one or the other indeed, both can come at the same time, but there are numerous ways where the one wil rule over the other.

an interesting question with no easy answer...........

Guest :::EA:::

Doesn't "peace" imply "freedom"? It doesn't necessarily work the other way around. I mean, look at the US: We're "free," but we're not peaceful. I'd go with peace, for sure. Then freedom will follow. :)

Guest konysus

freedom is a matter of degree and a relative concept, in one sense not even those of us living in a liberal democracy are free in the sense we can do what we want, we are conditioned and constrained by other factors rather than physical factors, not only is how you act determined by how you want others to react. i think it was karl marx who might have said 'men make their own history but not under conditions of their own choosing' - or something to that effect.

i think peace is something you can either have or not have but freedom can exist at different levels, so is it worth sacrificing a little of that freedom for peace?

also i don't think that one necessarily implies the other as some of you have suggested. i find it easy to see how peace can be acheived by denying freedom.

Guest konysus

freedom is a matter of degree and a relative concept, in one sense not even those of us living in a liberal democracy are free in the sense we can do what we want, we are conditioned and constrained by other factors rather than physical factors, not only is how you act determined by how you want others to react. i think it was karl marx who might have said 'men make their own history but not under conditions of their own choosing' - or something to that effect.

i think peace is something you can either have or not have but freedom can exist at different levels, so is it worth sacrificing a little of that freedom for peace?

also i don't think that one necessarily implies the other as some of you have suggested. i find it easy to see how peace can be acheived by denying freedom.

Guest konysus

colin: it isnt always the issue but sometimes you have to choose... so i just wanted to know which one people in the forum would go for..

ea: i agree with konysus, peace is a state of not engaging in armed conflict... you could say that for example when my country (greece) was taken over by the turkish empire for 400 years, there was peace because there was no fighting... but, greece wasnt free... so my point is that sometimes you should fight for your freedom because peace doesnt guarantee it!

colin: it isnt always the issue but sometimes you have to choose... so i just wanted to know which one people in the forum would go for..

ea: i agree with konysus, peace is a state of not engaging in armed conflict... you could say that for example when my country (greece) was taken over by the turkish empire for 400 years, there was peace because there was no fighting... but, greece wasnt free... so my point is that sometimes you should fight for your freedom because peace doesnt guarantee it!

Okay, I agree that if peace means no fighting, then there's always room for pent up hatred and resentment. But if peace means everyone's happy, then freedom should be ensured. I suppose we would need to agree on the definition first. I was thinking the latter definition. :)