Can anyone advise me on hardware synths

Hello,

I am on the verge of getting a new synth and am unsure of the best one for the job. Have been using reason and have played around with other basic software software synths plugged into Cubase.

The sounds I really want to be able to create are the punchy basslines found on so many psi trance tunes (at the moment I auite like , and Mr Peculiar, Silicon Sound, Logc Bomb, Brocken Toy, GMS and some of Sirius Isness music, among others), and I really want to get a synth that is capable of this. I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to create these bass lines in reason with the Subtactor.

I have had alittle play on a Clavia Nord Lead 3 and liked the sound, but I would like to know what are the are the strengths and weaknesses of both the Nord Lead and the Access Virus, which is the best one to go for? and what is the difference between the virus A, B, C and classic.

Is the Korg MS2000 a good synth? what are it's strenghts,

Are there any others worth considering?

I have also just got a copy of Reactor 5, I haven't got to grips with it yet, but it certainly seems like a powerful programme but can it create these type of basslines?

Some good advice would be much appreciated

Every synth has its strengths and weakness. A lot of those punchy basslines you refer to are made simply with Cubase's VB-1. As for hardware though, between the Nord and the Virus I would probably go for the Nord considering what you want (especially in the bass department). Many people prefer the Nord Lead 2 to the Lead 3 soundwise. I personally own a Lead one and have plenty happy with it. Its a fairly straight forward synth and doesn't have any effects built it, but I can't imagine ever selling it. It does take awhile before you really start to realize all you can do with it but I highly recommend it. A friend of mine once summerized the Nord Lead perfectly for me by saying that "it doesn't always give you the sound you are looking for, but it always gives you the sound you need".

The Virus is, I guess, a bit more "all purpose" than the Nord and has build in effects and all (although I tend to not use a lot of them). It's not as good for psy-type basses as the Nord (that's not to say you can't get them, but I find it much easier to get them from my Nord), but is great for crazy ripping lead type stuff, pads and just about anything else. I own a Virus B also and find the contrast of the Virus' and the Nord's audio characteristics to off set eachother nicely. The Virus is nice and ripping, but tends to be a bit "dark" while the Nord is a much "brighter" sounding synth over all. The A is the original Virus while the B was a serious upgrade. The Classic is basically a reissue of the B with more memory and some other small tweaks. The C was an additional upgrade and I believe there are some nice additional filters there, but I don't have one so I can really say.

The MS2000 is a decent synth for the money. Its pretty simpy and straight forward and not as flexible as the previous two synths, but can give you some nice sounds if you work with it. If you run across one cheap it might not be a bad buy. As a first synth I'd probably go with one of the earlier models of the two above than this though.

As for Reaktor I use it a lot and love it, but I'd say it is definately a soft-synth you need to buy because a manual is a must (not to mention access to the free user libraries online which can supply you with free new synths, effects, samplers, etc for years). In all honesty I haven't even scratched the surface of using this and I've owned it for about 2 years now. I do use it for something in just about every track I have made since I got it though, if only for back ground stuff.

Thanks, that's pretty helpful as I don't want just bass sounds but good 'ripping' leads aswell.

You mentioned the some people prefer the sound of the Nord Lead 2 to 3, what is the difference in the sound?

Is this sound of the Nord Lead 2 the same as on the Lead 2X?

Also I notice on pictures of both Lead 2 and 2x there are less front panel controls than the Lead 3, does this mean they are less programmable? and the contols are less accessible and less easy to tweak in real time.

Thanks, that's pretty helpful as I don't want just bass sounds but good 'ripping' leads aswell.

You mentioned the some people prefer the sound of the Nord Lead 2 to 3, what is the difference in the sound?

Is this sound of the Nord Lead 2 the same as on the Lead 2X?

Also I notice on pictures of both Lead 2 and 2x there are less front panel controls than the Lead 3, does this mean they are less programmable? and the contols are less accessible and less easy to tweak in real time.

322913[/snapback]

Like the Virus Classic Being basically a slightly souped up Virus B, The Nord Lead 2X is a slightly souped up version of the original Nord Lead 2. As for the difference between the Lead 2 and 3 soundwise, I think they both sound great, just somehow a bit different. The Nord Lead 1 and 2 basically have more or less the same sound engine as it were, while Nord changed it a hair with the Lead 3. Personally I think you'd be happy with either one so its probably more a matter of taste and budget than anything else.

As for the knobs, the Lead 1 and 2 basically have everything right there and there are no real submenu's to go digging through... Just pick a knob and tweak it. I think the Lead 3 is more or less the same, but I haven't touched one in a couple years and honestly don't really remember. Your best bet is simply to go to a music shop with the synths you are looking for and play around with them. I love both my Nord and my Virus and would never get rid of either one, but if I was FORCED to choose only one, I'd probably go with the Nord. That said I suspect that in an in-store test run, the virus would probably leave a stronger impression first (a lot of which is due to the built in effects). Either one is capable of ripping leads and just about any other sound you want so go spend some time with them and decide for yourself.