anybody care to review my track?

Guest Mike Indidginus

Hey man, I haven't heard your track (I can't download) but just wanted to say that at the end of the day if you're happy with your track that's good enough. There are always going to be people who like your music, and people who don't. I know it's easier said than done, but don't give too much credence to what other people say about your creativity.

Allelujah and Hosannah in the Highest! Reverend Indidginus has spoken. Let us join hands and pray that Funktion gets some good reviews in the contest...

Guest funktion

ok you people are nutzoid!..heh..well let me just say that part of the reason i put my track up here, was for the very reason listed on the contest page..it's sort of an alternative to mp3.com or whatever, just better because it's dedicated to psytrance..a big part of posting it here, for me at least, was to hear others opinions on the music i create..where i live now, the only other person i know who likes psytrance is my girlfriend (and try getting an objective opinion out of her:)) so i don't really have anyone else to play it for..i know what you mean when you say others opinions don't really matter..they don't really..everybody has different tastes in music, even within this rather obscure genre, but it's cool to hear what people think anywayz..i mean yeah, it suks when someone tells you your music suckz (p.s.

"constructive critism" can have a "much" nicer effect on an artists fragile ego than just saying it suks)..and well whatever.. if you can't download like you said, i just put a page up at mp3.com, so you can stream it if ya want (and 128k gives it alot more justice than the track-destroying 96k, at least mine anywayz)..peace..

www.mp3.com/funktion

Guest Mike Indidginus

Hi God, I'll get back to you in a second. I've got someone on the other line...

Hi Funktion, sorry man, I had to put God on hold for a minute. I did not actually say that other people's opinions do not matter. I said don't attach yourself to their opinions. I agree with what you have said about "constructive criticism" though :) I think good on you for at least trying to follow your heart and write music. It's more than most people do. In fact, you'll often find (in my experience at any rate) that the people who put you down the most are the very ones whose lives are stagnating.

You may not believe this (but it's true) - I don't have any Real Audio, Win Amp or other such software. I have no internet connection on my PC at home. I use it purely to write music. That's it. If you really wanted me to listen to your track you could post it to me. I understand that is a hassle though, so will not be offended in the slightest if you don't want to do that.

OK God, back to you. My wish? Hmmm. A lobster called "Dietrich" sounds very tempting... But I think I'll have to settle for the family holiday to Blackpool and the lifetime's supply of Pedigree Chum (9 out of 10 preachers prefer it).

Guest Mike Indidginus

When I say post, I mean by postal service, not internet ;) You can mail me for my address if you want to do that...

Guest Dexium

Mike - You are absolutely insane. Keep it up. Sorry to hear about your computer situation. You're sure missing out on some amazing muziks :(

Funktion, you've got heaps of potential my friend. I'll give you a rundown of my thoughts on your track... Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion, and I am not a experienced producer. I'll try to be as honest as I can.

OK, the first 30 seconds are acually my favorite section. The pad and the "plucked" type sound work so well together, and you set up this really meloncholy mood. Unfortunately that pad becomes quite a strain on the ears for the remaining time it plays. It's just too.... plain.

The next minute (30 to 1:30) is simply to thin. To overcome that "bedroom producer" type sound you really have to layer your songs. I love listening to songs that are just oozing with detail and love... songs that you know the artist must have spent heaps of time tweaking every section. That analog bass tone you use is a nice one... I don't really dig your choice of notes for it tho... the chromatic scale doesn't sound too hot.

The track slowly builds from here, with some nice monotonic tweakage. I'm still finding it a bit thin for my tastes. But its plain to see you've got a thing for sequencing. You're no fool when it comes to making some trippy sounds :D

OK it's at 4:25 where some melody is introduced. I gotta say, it didn't exactly blow my head off. Seems to try to be discordantly trippy, but doesn't quite get there.

At 5:15 the 909 kick (which seems to be mixed a bit too loud) takes a much needed break. A sweet arse vocal sample comes in nicely, and the melody swells to a respectable mini-cressendo. The song is obviously in full swing at 5:35+, it's got a good deal of energy, but could do with a lot more too. More layers, baby!

A 6:15 you reciprocate that discordant melody, again, not to my liking. Basically - it's not f*cked up enuff to be avant garde or deliberately funny.

The last two minutes of the song are just minor changes on stuff already visited.

For me, the highlight of the song was the twisted parts played at 1:42+. Nice tweakage. Unfortunately this part was one of the only layers present besides the drums and bass. Therein lies my "constructive critisizm". I thought the whole track was too thin.

I hope I havn't been too harsh, keep writing man, you do have potential.

- Dex.

• 1 year later...

TR@V€LL€R'S TW1ST€D C0RN3R v4

__

(()) _llll_

/ /

/ / O O

/ /

/ ____/ /

click my left eye -------------> / (o) (o) /

( ) ______/

/ || ___||____

/ (..) /

/ /| are |

/ ____ / | you |

/ """" / /| normal |

/ / / | ?!?!! |

/ (__) |________| (__)

/ | |

/ | | |

/ | | |

/ | | |

______________()()()_______________________()()()__________________/__-____-___________

my webpage about life, the universe and everything..

Counter