Shakta/Logic Bomb Party(my 1st too!)/Party Sound Question(?)

Guest helium

I made it to the party last night and had a great time I must say- spent most of the time dancing and cavorting about which was heaps of fun and like a release in many ways...

Was a friendly crowd for the most part and the vibe was infectious to me which was nice since I may have been the only sober mofo in the place by the look of things(how wierd BTW to go to an AA meeting on psychedelics Friday night and then sober to a Psytrance party on Saturday night...). There did seem a smattering of punk types there but nothing too unpleasant... Only saw one pacifier the whole night which was a relief too ;)

Jeto- If you were with the "reason" shirt I saw you but didn't have the chance to talk given the decibals and such... I was the white guy with short hair and glasses, wearing olive green pants and a white/tan collered-shirt...

Logic Bomb had the place going nuts at times tho I wasn't so impressed with Shakta...

One thing I must remark about was the sound- the bass was WAY overdriven to the point that you were often lucky to hear any sounds and melodies coming through over the top or in between the beats. This was much more pronounced with Shakta than Logic Bomb who did get those synthetic-plastic-slippery-skwizoinky sounds they do so well to come through decently at times. Even them tho you could never really get a sense of the song in any cohesive way aside from the beat. Heard I guess was the "Unlimited" track from the new album(was the sample) which was a killer...

Anyhow is this typical for parties??? I felt kinda bad for people there who maybe hadn't been exposed to psytrance because you got no sense of the depth, layering, and sound-panning that is so great about psytrance. A shame too because the crowd would freak out and much more fun to dance when a decent melody or some wicked sounds were noticable...

Anyhow, am curious to hear what others thought if you were there...

Guest Mike D

Was the party indoor? I find indoor paty's are best for the more progressive/minmal sound, where it is more getting into a trance with the beats, whereas outdoor is great for the full on melodic type music, so thateven tho the bass is cranked up to the extreme, the synth lines flow out just as nicely! Otudoor is also nice because you can take break from the msuic, and also catch up with pople a little more easily. Hmm, I haven;t been to a party since MR Peculiar's cd launch, but do have the Tribadelice Vs M.D.M.A Records gig at the end of this month being advertised outdoors! Will be very nice. Am taking my sister, 2 cousins and their friend, my chick(hopefully) and a workmate of my sisters who loves the scene. Only me and my sister's work mate have been to bush doofs or any doofs for that matter (doof=rave).so am very pumped about this, only 19 days away!!

Guest helium

Yea it was indoor, with ceiling perhaps 12-15feet. Large rectangle room... The speakers were set up on either side of the stage but not anywhere else so if you went to the back of the room it'd be a bit quiter if you needed...

BTW who are the Logic Bomb now?- there was only two of them last night and I don't know which ones they were. There was the taller plump chap with long hair (looked like jolly ol nature boy type fellow)and then a shorter, gaunt, mad-scientist looking mofo who had short hair and was the one working the computers and such...

Anyone know which two that was last night?

I went too! I thought it rocked, maybe even better than the infected show!

I really liked Logic Bomb's live set...Shakta's was good too but not as good althought I really liked his DJ set a lot! Oh yea I was sober too! :P

Well minus 2 beers! But I thought it was a blast.

did you catch the blue screen of death bit during logic bombs set? I thought that was kinda funny actually...

Dunno who the two dudes were though, I figured it's the same people they've had (I'm not aware of any line-up changes...)

Anyway good party.

The party absolutely rocked...

It was Johan and Johanas from Logic Bomb, and Sebastian Taylor from Shakta.

Helium- I cannot really remember what people were wearing...

I was sober as well.. apart from 5-6 beers..

All in all it kicked.. and then was a chill party afterwards.. KICK ASS!

Guest asshopper

no more Jonaz Pettersson, he is working on his Tranan project, the short hair guy is Jonas Bergvall, the long hiar dood is Johan Krafft, i remember the music stoped playing shortly for a couple times in san francisco, it was looked like they messed something up, but i thought it was intentional... coz they said it was so embrassing that their gears got broken when they played in Japan, um, they should have learned the lesson.

Guest bugbread

To answer your question: yes, unfortunately, that kind of sound setup is fairly common in clubs. Dunno why. They have the facilities for better sounds, but usually mix the bass way up and the rest goes by the wayside.

one reason is that sound engineers are dumb as @!#$. even out here in Japan where there are some very high quality sound systems, the sound is not anywhere near as good as it could be because engineers don't use their ears and listen to the music. there are actually two problems: many engineers know a bit about techno, and these sort set the PA to minimal techno carnage which is just the bass booming your eyes out of your sockets. then you also have some geezers who learned engineering in the rock days, and they show up with their presets in hand, and then you get pulverizing highs that tear your ear drums out and leave you a deaf @!#$ with ringing in your ears for weeks. but both these buffoons do the same thing: they compress the hell out of everything to get maximal volume, which simply destroys the sound. it's a real shame. another problem is that these old geezers are borderline deaf from PA'ing so many parties, so they can't hear anything anyway (hence the presets, compression, etc). to make matters worse, people who consistently go to parties have massive ear damage (even though they don't know it), so they actaully like the massively compressed sound. everytime i go to a record store like technique to listen to new records, i have to bug the dude behind the counter to put the headphone volume about half of what they keep it at. at the "regular" volume, i will rip the headphones off my head in pain. it's totally beyond me how people can listen to music at such punishing levels. i went to two parties recently here in tokyo, an anti/reefer decree party and a shiva chandra/mapusa mapusa party. the pa man for the anti party was double dragon, and he spent the entire night fine-tuning and tweaking the system to get it just right for trance, and it sounded wonderful. the other party had the club's own PA man (supposedly one of the best in Tokyo) and he was totally shite. everything compressed to hell as usual and left us with very little music. daniel and mapusa compensated by cutting down the highs and the mids a bit and that helped, but there's really no way to overcome a crap PA man. I hate @!#$ engineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a plague on all their houses!!!!!!!!!

Guest Skaha

Hey!!! Congratulations Helium on your first party! And Alien Project is also in town soon for you (or was)...

How many people were there?

As far as I know the computer had a "Blue Screen" and it said Error...

Windows in busy .. press any key to continue

and they had to restart..

I was up there and I just moved the cross fader of the dj mixer and the music started again :) .. it was kinda wierd

Guest Bence

There were around 700 people at the party. Thanks Jeto for letting me borrow that last track to play. Excellent party, and sound could always be better.

B[al]ence @ liquidgrin.com

Guest Johan

Asshopper,

why do you make statements over things that you don't know s h i t about?

1. We're still 3 guys in logic bomb, Jonas P. is still with us. Where did you get the idea that he left the band?

2. If the hardware thats supplied to us fails, what can we do about it? The computer crashed twice for all I know, and at the second crash we had to put the backup CD on.

Cheers,

/Johan, LB