illegal sortware

does anyone knows if theres a problem to make music and comertialize with it having the music done with cracked (illegal)softwares and plug ins?

Guest Kostas

don't buy your software! beacause they are very expensive! i prefer to make a donation in a small group that makes vst and givethem free trough internet (some of them are VERY GOOD! you dont have to pay if you want to have quality vsts!)

Guest dybasser

theres lots of ways to get what you are asking but never write down in a forum or maybe you can face a bad experince with the law

Heya, If your going to actually make COMMERCIAL music, then it's definately not reccomended that you use pirated software to do it. I mean, the Psy scene is pretty underground and I doubt anyone would ever find out/care, but none-the-less if your going to sell your music then having an appropriate software lisence is in theory a must. You could possibly get your self into a fair bit of trouble if you got caught.

Guest anal0g_brain

heheeegeh what the fuck

dont give any money to buy software unless the prices fall 2 a reasonable state.I personally live in greece where the income per person is at least half than most of the other e.u. but software prices are the same or higher here......... :-/ see my point ? i'm no german or dutch or swiss or whatever although sometimes i wish i was so i cnt afford it

n e ways you can make music using illegal soft and then you can always say you made the track at the studio of a friend who has the software and can put his name instead of you.he should be someone to trust though....i'm glad i have one of my own

Guest anal0g_brain

Kostas is so fuckin right :))) much better way to spend your money.

and there's so much free software that kicks ass and makes you wonder abou t those high priced sparkly original packages.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The never ending dilemma of having software or not having software that is stolen. Imagine that you work on your album for over 5 months, then you release it, and everyone loves it, and its played on all of the parties around the world. Only there is ONE problem, no one actually BOUGHT the album, they all downloaded it. Now, there is a problem isnt there? Wouldnt you be pissed off? All that hard work for nothing?

Well, I would say that use the "free" software as a "try before you buy", and if you are making money on making music, then you should buy the software that you are using. Im no angel, and I will admit to that, but I always very carefully think about what I am doing, and I have a concious....

I know there are problems with software costing more money in countries that they earn less in, and that is a problem, in my opinion you should be able to get it cheaper in those countries, but that would also become a proplem. Because then anyone that wants to buy software cheap, can order it via a friend living in that country. It would be impossible to track whos buying what and where....

I just wish that there was more support for linux in the music world, then we wouldnt have the problems that we are having right now... There isnt even drivers for my soundcard for linux, so its for me impossible to make music on that OS.

Well, just my five cents :)

seriously, if u make money out of your music, support the ppl who made it possible for u to make your music in the first place. as u might do someday, they make a living out of the music business too. may the holy light of trance shine upon u forever, amen. B)

• 1 month later...

"Dont make money using warezed software" (as the warezed software says) :)

As far as i know, software like cubase,logic sonat etc. is some of the most stable software (your machine won't crash), but when the software has been warezed you can forget the word stable! B)

Guest The Journey Man Project

"Dont make money using warezed software" (as the warezed software says)  :)

As far as i know, software like cubase,logic sonat etc. is some of the most stable software (your machine won't crash), but when the software has been warezed you can forget the word stable!  B)

200354[/snapback]

Very true... friends who bought soem cd's of such softwar ein S.E Asia had so many problems with cracked versions that they ended up tossing htem all in the bin and buying the originals, and these cd's were done by very talented programmers... it is the same as buying pirated games, you often get the game going but little bit are missing, for exampl Sims 2 you cannot renovate the ouse at all, or in others there is no sound.

It's pretty simple, if you can;t afford something then you don;t get it. Hell, there are lentof cd's I'd love to buy, but I accept the fact that I'll be waiting maybe another 6 months before I can afford most of them... if you want a new pair of shoes do you steal them from the shop?

Ripping off big cprporations is mybe ok but a lot of small corporations do not make much money, and you are the cause of this... remeber in karma, what goes around comes around... if you release something made on stolen products, you can be guaranteed something bad will happen to your music... I know a certain Australian producer who did this, and for no reason his brand new Apple Laptop crashed halfway through his live set... was so embarrasin but he asked for it.. and when he sent it for repairs they sent it back saying it worked fine, nothing wrong, and it did!

That warezed software is more buggy is not true in my experience.

Several warez releases has been known to actually eliminate bugs in the original version.

I know many ppl who own the software running cracks instead because the problems the copyprotection causes when still active.

I even was around one time when steinberg was making a cubase demonstration, and had to resort to using a crack instead because the original was crashing on him.

I heard same has been the case with propellerheads when they made demos.

Copy protection interfere with your system and reduce performance and stability.

Of course there can be bad cracks sometimes, but normally they run just as fine as original versions, and like I said, many times even better.

In this scene it's not enough money involved to be able to buy all the software you like to use, thats just how it is.

Either we should all settle for lower standards, and have all muisc made on cheap or free plugins, or the manufacturers have to lower their prices substntially to make the software available for people like us.

How many tracks to you think one has to get released to be able to afford the waves diamond bundle?

Definatly buy your main and favourite bit's of kit when you can, but to sit and try to get nice productions until you get there with free software would just be a bit silly i think.

You are not actually stealing if you coudn't pay for it in the first place, since it anyway don't cost the company a penny if you download the software.

If you make yourself a load of money on the other hand, you should definatly be ashamed if you don't give some of it back to the programmers that helped you with thier nice tools.

You are not actually stealing if you coudn't pay for it in the first place, since it anyway don't cost the company a penny if you download the software.

Now, that is a statement that I never heard, but I guess it makes sense. Pretty funny haha :)

I thought it might come across as funny to some...but I think it's actually the case.

And many companies been accepting that.

Some belive they get something stolen from them and some realize that the are getting free promotion.

Apart from the open-source community, which taken things to the extreme, I think for example Adobe is not bothering with proper copyprotection for a reason. They actually understand that students can't pay some $800 for software to just have a little play with.

Ok...they could try to make sure they stick to paintshop instead, but for them there is no gain in that. They gain from their software being the most widespread, and if the students grow up to be graphics designers they will keep on using the same software but they will have to pay for it if using it within a pro environment.

I heard many people being convinced that thats the main reason cubase is dominant on the sequencer market.

I was using a legal version of notator at the time, and thought it was much nicer than cubase. But there wasn't a good crack and most ppl doing small time underground music at the time was using the cracked cubase.

Ok...old arguements to many I know..but it surprises me to still se some of the statements here, like for example Journey Man:

"It's pretty simple, if you can;t afford something then you don;t get it. Hell, there are lentof cd's I'd love to buy, but I accept the fact that I'll be waiting maybe another 6 months before I can afford most of them... if you want a new pair of shoes do you steal them from the shop?"

It's for me an extremly narrow minded point, and I know so many ppl who would never go in to a shop and steal a pair of shoes but use cracked software.

I don't know any that gladly would steal shoes but never use illegal warez.

It is two completly different scenarios.

It might be that ppl in general have a very confused moral. Persoanlly i think it's more the companies and ppl like Journey Man who is a bit confused.

Buy as much as you can of the stuff you really like. Then if you can't afford everything, you choose if you use cracks or limit yourself to only free stuff.

But don't go around thinking that the majority of people is theives because they don't see things in the same way.

And selling warez is a whole different issue...that is pretty much on the same level as stealing a pair of shoes, then you are actually stealing monjey that belongs to the authors behind the software.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all it's not so nice to see people that for sure would complain about their music being stolen (downloaded illegal) at the same time say that they dont care if they use cracked software now or forever. Yes it's expensive and yes it could be cheaper. But refuse to buy it is not the answer and it wont get less expensive this way ;)

I agree that people maikng money of their music (hint: professional artists) should pay for the tools they use just as people should pay for their music!

But to say that less fortunated people in less rich contries should get is for less money is utopia. If that had to be realized then all other products in those countries should also be cheaper. Hell then it's also very unfair that a car in Denmak cost 300% more than in almost any other Country in the world ;)

It's a free market and free price politics rule. But that does not stealing more legal and right.

Dont Know If this is a Bad rumour , but I actually heard that some software programmers have coded in some High Frquencies ( that can be traced/heard )if using Non registred software .. I think it was in connection with something from spectrasonics . But dont hang me up on this :D could be only rumour .. Actually i will search my google to see if i can find some more about this :)