Nord Lead 3 vs SupernovaII vs Waldorf Q

Guest Barry Martin

I have no Outboard equip.. and rely on all virtual synths and samplers.

Looking for a strong synth with a wide range of possibilities that can be used.

Thanx. Barry

there´s only one thing to do.

try it all out your gearpusher should have all you need so pick out what sounds best in your ears compared to what you can afford

i have a micro q and i think that there are more possibilities with this synth than compared to other virtual analogues. it is definitely fatter at the bottom end, but lacks that sparkle at the top end. its not an obviously great synth, you have to work hard in the modulation matrix to really get amazing sounds out of it.

the supernova11 is cool and the effects on it are good to use, particulary the distortion and comb filter. but it definitely lacks bottom end definition. its a good lead synth and does a good job in melodic areas. easy to use fm too but not so versatile.

i've had a go on the 1st nord lead and thats very good but haven't really explored these synths that thoroughly.

my advice is - if your'e looking for your first synth don't go for the micro q. although you can get fuckin fatness out of it you have to work really hard to get the amazing sounds you want - this can sometimes stunt the creativity. alot of other synths are instantly usable - like the jp8000, supernova, and sound great without having to working too hard.

at the end of the day...any synth has its pros and cons and its about how you push them which makes them good. but try b4 u buy!