Chopping voices

Hello,

I've a short question: how can you create those "a-a-a-a-aaaa"

chopping voices like Simon used for example in Are you Shpongled?

Thanks,

Marc

Guest Lifeform

There are a ton of midi control "gate" plugins on the web. One of the best is stock with cubase. Midigate 1.1... you use it as an insert on the channel you want to use it on, and create a seperate midi track with it's output being the Midigate. Create a pattern and turn down all the buttons and knobs in midigate to Zero. Sound forge can do this... But it's not controled at all. Midigate is cool cause you could make patterns 100 measures long if you wanted and it'd all be controlled by you. Have fun.

you can also just adjust your master volume on your sequencer to 'cut out' at certain sections. for instance, tossing a little reverb on your selection and then cutting the sound out on 16th count. that makes the ah-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a--a-ahh sound. soundforge is a good way to do it too, but is limiting in the adjustments you can make in the final mix.

blink

Guest Scalar

Nope.

At least I don't think you can.

If you have acid pro, then just zoom in on the audio as much as possible, then delete every other possible 'segment' of the selected audio patch to acheive the same effect.

hope this helps.

This should be possible in most audio sequencers though, if you are prepared to break the rules a little

;)(

scalar

Thanks Lifeform,

I tried the Midigate plugin in SX, great. For the best result, do

you place midinotes on every 16th note with a length of 1/32?

It's difficult to get the Shpongle effect on a long vocal sample.

Regards,

Marc

For the most part you can place MIDI notes on every 16th note with a length of 1/32, but for that Posford feeling (and OOOD, and God knows who else, everybody probably) you need to double up on the timing every so often... Try this:

At the end of every two bars, replace the last 16th note with 2 32nd notes each with a length of 1/64.

Then this:

Using the pattern above, replace the 2nd and 3rd gate pulse with one note 3 32nds long. Do the same with the 5th and 6th, and the 8th and 9th. Delete the 15th gate pulse (the one before the really short ones you put in earlier).

Sound familiar?

Colin

Guest Subsonic Pete

If you have Reason you can use the Matrix to play a sample like that. Speed up the Matrix and have it play the sample a bunch of times in a row. The last time it plays it will play the entire sample, but each step before that will only play the first fraction of it.

Pete

Thanks very much Colin,

I works great. I don't know exactly how to use the knobs but I will try it out. I did some more 1/64 notes at the end, very nice. Do you have a tip to keep the original sound on the background? Of course you can dub the voice by recording the sound but I use a VST sampler with the Midi Gate. Probably there is a simple way.

Again thanks,

Marc

Guest Lifeform

Copy it to another track, and let it play in the background...

About the knobs in midigate... turn all of them all the way down to get best results.

Guest Senserogen

Hi I am a 15 old Boy from Malta[an island in The center of meditereanen sea]

Well You Can sample a vocal In reason in the nn18 Sampler than in the Sequencer [ not the matrix one] u can chop of note and use The automation On The sample start and raise it all as you want Then youv got a Sound like thiss [ AaaA Aa - AAA Aa} mine was like thaht hehe I dont know hows your sample. You can use it on other sample as well any one that want to share any tips contact me i would be glad to talk :)) cu mates and Keep on Listening to goa and psychedelic music

Marc,

I'm not sure exactly, not having Cubase in front of me now, but I think one of the knobs on the MIDI Gate plugin should be something like 'Depth'. This controls the depth of the gating effect; setting it to anything other than full will keep a proportion of the ungated sound in your signal. You can automate this as well.

Colin