Synthesis Question

Guest Scalar

Okay - this one has been bugging me for YEARS.

How the HELL do I get that 'melodic fuzz' lead noise????

Cosmosis has used it on intergalatic, and just recentlely, altom on hologram.

I fiddled around with LFO's and Mod Matrix's, Distortion, very fast delays, weird choruses, and nothing comes close!

If anyone can help me, I will be eternally greatful!!

Cheers in advance

Scalar

Guest Lifeform

I'm having a hard time understanding what you man, Scaler. Could you give us an example of what you mean with times on the Intergalatic album?

...it may just simply be actual noise that anolog/VA synths create ... OSC'd with another type of waveform? I dunno, give me a track time!

2 or more pulse-wave with quite a lot of PWM; enough to fuzz the sound out but not too much to make it disappear (make the PWM different for each oscillator if you can). Modulate pulsewidth with a sinewave LFO at maybe 5 Hz. Detune the oscillators between 2 and 5 cents either side of zero. Wide open filter with maybe 25% res so it bites if you sweep it. A nice wide chorus and you should be there.

At least, if you're after the sound I think you are!

Colin

Guest Scalar

Yeah, sorry about the vaugness...

altom use it in track 4 of hologram, alot...........

and its most obvious use on intergalatic is the final chillout track, where there 'melody' kicks in. It is really hard to describe the noise, only there is lots of harmonics, and it appears like a a very quickly pulse, which is different speeds on different notes...... the timbre of the note is controlled by the speed of the pulses, and resonance seems to play quite a lot of importance in it to make it a noticable affect.

Colin OOOD - your'e advice looks to me like its along the right lines - I will duly check this out!

cheers man - unless I'm much mistaken, you used this noise on your Dance Trance and Magic Plants track?

Cheers guys

Guest scalar

OK - yeah I'm there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not modulating the PWM amount via the LFO was the prob, so I wasn't getting the textural varation in the lines,

Thank you SO much!!!!!

This (Hopefully) will allow me to realise some ideas i have quite literally buzzing around my head!

cheers again,

Scalar

Guest scalar

okay - cheers man - that would be very cool!

I'll get a nice bit for you and chop it out,

although it may not be what we were talking about, as I'm, programming in a gradualyl metamorphasising line over a couple of minutes with this noise now...

anyhows, xpect it soon, and thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

scalar

The "harsh" melody from the Cosmosis-Roswell track (most distinctive at 3:44) is made with a basic FM-modulated sound, and I bet it's Access Virus (althoug any FM-capable synth can produce such sounds). It also has some highpass filtering and digital distortion thrown in.

It is really easy to program, just set the main osc to a basic saw or sine wave and modulate it with another osc tuned to a very low frequency (experiment with the shape of the modulator to get the desired degree of "harshness"). Note that this trick cannot be achieved with LFOs alone (at least on the Virus) due to the lack of accuracy at higher frequencies.