sharp-tweaky sounds w/JV-1080

Can anyone post directions on making sharp/tweaky sounds and a hard-hitting Skazi kick w/JV-1080? I just got the hardware and am finding myself sliding into a lame, progressive techno sound...help me fly above to the outer-galaxies of psychedelia!

Am I going to have to get something like a Virus or Nord to get that sound?

Peace.

Guest norb-e

well... there are only a few good preset psy-sounds on that synth..

you can also modify some sounds to make them sound pretty good, but it takes a while to read through the manual, and to learn how to program your own sounds...

buying expension boards is a good idea, because it gives you more wave's to work with... but they cost like 250 american dollars ...

check this out...

http://www.nathansheldon.com/xp-80/expansi...oard-demos.html

(roland xp and jv has compatible expansion boards)

you should go to a music store and try them out before you buy them...

techno, special effects, and vintage synths boards should be useful for psytrance....

in my oppinion, the jv/xp has nice non-psy sounds which can work well with psy sounds of the "real" synths...

if i were you , i would definitelly save up for a virus... its awesome!!!

good luck

Guest norb-e

2 more things...

you can create nice new sounds by layering 2-3 different modified preset (or custom made) sounds from the JV...

when you layer them... dont forget to use the resonance and cutoff controllers... can sound great if you tweak each layered sound differently (by different ammount in different times...etc)

hope this helps

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, the plan was to use the JV as the foundation and to get a killer analog to elevate listener's minds. I tried to find some second-hand Viruses, but even the older ones are in pretty high demand. If I get a bonus sometime, I'm definitely busting the bank for a Virus C...just looking at that thing gives me chills. Peace.

Guest bahamut

I'm afraid you'll never get that typical psy-kick out of any jv/xp with any exp board.

if you want a load of patches try these:

http://jv-patches.onlinehome.de/all_syx.zip

these are all patch banks, u r gonna need a good patch librarian/editor to send individual patches, backup your own patches, sort patches to create your own banks & edit patches. ChangeIt works great for this:

http://aragon.iitb.fhg.de/moss/index.html

good luck!

Is a sampler the only way to get the psy-kick? All the drum machines I've heard so far sound weak, but I'm not sure if I can shell out cash for an analog AND a killer sampler...maybe in a bit of time.

Would anyone recommend a virtual sampler like Kontakt over solid hardware? Cost might make Kontakt more attractive, but if I'm already spending a bunch of cash, I'd rather get a solid sampler and not have to worry about it for a while. Any suggestions that sound good and in the $500(us)+ range?

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

The hard kick in my Proprioception Malfunction from the contest is made on my Waldorf... It's basically just a sheit-load of resonance, hard and fast enveloped... I would prefer to do it on a true analog synth though, but my juno-106 and SH-1 won't do the trick - I'm pretty sure the VA's will be nice for this sort of thing, 'specially the NordLeads :)

Oops, sorry - forgot the most important :)

I have a JV-2080, and use it all the time. Apart from the computer, it's really the backbone of my music - I agree, it's difficult to make really weird noises on it, it's so well-behaved :) - But there are people out there, who can make it growl, and it should be easy to find their patches - search for them :)

You can find them in standard MIDI-files, play them to the 1080, and there you go - new sounds... Just be sure to dump you old good ones, because they might be overwritten - I learned that the hard way :(

Andreas... if you can't get a hard-ass kick out of your analogs you can't be trying hard enough... I know the Juno's filter self-oscillates but not sure about the SH-1. I know it's possible to get a DAMN solid X-Dream style kick with an SH-101 though.

Colin

Guest Scalar

Oh - jeez...

Hell - Fruity loops has two presets which can be used to make rock hard logic bomb style kicks, and these can be fiddled with to your hearts content.

The secret of good kicks is....

RESONANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you end up with to much high frequency then cut it with a filter afterwards.

Remember you have to have it there in the first place before you can shape it.

Also, Make it SHORT, otherwise it will EAT room in the mix.

most problems in my experience aren't with the kick drum but the bass line though., or other lines eating the kick drums attack.

Roll of frequencies that interfear with the kick drums attack, or kick drum goes bye bye.

hope this helps!

scalar

Colin, you're probably right :) - The Juno's filter self-oscilates, but I hate that glassy sound it emits - so I haven't really been trying very much on that one. The SH-1 is a different story though - the filter self-oscilates allright, and with a *nice* clear tone, which the envelopes treat rather well... There are rumors, that the filter of the SH-1 is actually the same as that in the 303... Which pretty much blue-labels it :) I just don't like the analog filtersounds for my kicks - it's easier to knock the breath out of people's lungs with my Waldorf... Oh hell, I'll give the SH-1 another shot - or kick :))

Guest Slidingtrancer

did anyone get any GOOD kickdrums out of Soundforge's FM-meddling?

Can anybody point me the way to making a good bassdrum...? ( and no not the cheezy Infected Tutorial which leaves you with a weak bass)

The main problems of my music are the bassdrum and the bassline....