Reason vs. Fruity Loops

Hey dudes, i am writing songs in fruity for about 5 months... but i still have a problem I cannot use the event editor for control knobs for more than a pattern, because it loops! well the bottom line: Is Reason better than FruityLoops? Or it is just different?

PLUR

PiNG

Fruity loops is a bit like playing a video game about making music, and it's fun.

Reason is not as Fun at first, but it is set up like a real rack mount system and has very good sound quality.

Reason is more serious.

It is a step closer to using real equipment.

I can't say it is better,

but it is more professional looking and sounding.

For some reason the program REason will not play sound on my PC or my girlfriends, whilst all all other products from Rebirth to Fruityloops to Reakto work fine! Help please!

Although I'm quite a beginner, I can see just from opening either program that Reason is a bit more "complete."

Which makes it complicated. Really complicated! But I'm workin on it!

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Guest Jikkenteki

PiNG,

I think you are probably using the control editor incorrectly. I have no problem using it all over during the course of a track with no looping issues what so ever.... Could you explain how are you using it?

Hey, PiNG,

There is a pattern (9 by default) called main automation, it's where you make the automation for global (more than 1 pattern) events. But it's sometimes hard to fit it in exact place (after 36 played patterns or so), so I recomend you to make another patern witch starts where your automation for some knob should begin (an empty pattern of course) and you can automate for as long as you whant.

Reason is a better program

you have more control over your synths,

it sounds better

it looks and functions more like most pro sequencers

and MOST OF ALL---->> you can use more than ONE FINGER to make a song in it

hey everybody tells me why it is better, but no one can really explain me. I have nothing agains Reason, it seemed very very good, especially the sound quality but it is very hard to make a song, no? in fruity loops sometimes I use 60 patterns (in some songs) and that's horrible. I think fruity has more plugins and a wider choice of sounds and effects, it is also more easier but reason is bettter simply because of sound quality and profissionalism, and if you are making music it should have the best sound quality, no? I still don't know how to use reason, if some of you knows were I can find a manual (btw, a crack would be nice too... i cant find any for my version)

Thanks ppl for feedback

PLUR

PiNG

oh, by the way. I wanna know if you think it is a good idea for us, musik makers, to share fruity loops and reason files, because i sure wanna know if my songs are any good!!!

PiNG,

I agree.

That is why in my post above I couln't say reason was BETTER then fruity loops.

reason is a more serious program,

but fruity loops can make some great sounds and effects. i love the 404.

I use Reason more, but I'll never get rid of fruity loops.

It is a really usefull toy.

Guest eloostro

first go to the edit menu and select the preferences then select audio and the select your audio sound card, maybe this will help you.

bye

Guest Samadhi

the TS-404 is an outstanding Softsynth! One of the best i've tried !!!! :)

And the Sound quality... i think it's Way better in Fruity!!! AND U CANT HAVE VST IN REASON!! SUX!!!!!

The solution.. try both of them.. then decide wich one u think is best.. I use both!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Reason is the most powerful app for now,because fruity loops does't have sound quality like Reason.Fruity Loops sounds cheepy & greasey so i suggest Reason.

• 5 years later...

I have played with Fruity Loops some years ago.

But first of all I played with Rebirth.

So when Reason got out, I say ok let's give it a try.

It was so difficult at the beginning with a long manual!

If you are seriously going to work on Reason get prepared:

- 2 tft monitors

- A fast cpu

- Lots of memory

- A great motherboard

- A superb soundcard

- A nice cooling system

- A midi

and lots of imagination.

Everything will go fine.

For some reason the program REason will not play sound on my PC or my girlfriends, whilst all all other products from Rebirth to Fruityloops to Reakto work fine! Help please!

Funny, Reason plays sound on my girlfriends. I have two girlfriends: One for the left channel and one for the right. But I'm hoping to upgrade soon to a Surround 5.1 set-up. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks FL Studio is superior to Reason?

I haven't tried Reason in a few years so maybe my comparison is unfair, but..

The fact that Reason is set up as a hardware rack is not something that impresses me whatsoever. I just find it annoying to have to scroll up and down ad nauseum and not being able to use the full width of my screen. Also, in principle software supplies endless possibilities compared to a finite set of hardware, so software that pretends to be hardware just feels fundamentally and pointlessly limiting to me. Why not use a program that takes full use of the fact that it is indeed software?

Also i believe it is a huge myth that Reason sounds better than FL. My theory is that it is more difficult to make FL sound good because in Reason you get more "good" samples and presets built into the program, while with FL you have to supply your own samples and VST plugins to get some really good sounds. This means that FL is more work which is of course bad for lazy people, but it also makes room for more originality for those willing to make something of it.

But all other issues aside, FL supports VST plugins and Reason doesn't. That point alone should be enough for FL to win hands down.

Comparing FL to professional software like Logic or Cubase, however, is a completely different question..

i use reason and hav done for a few years now. i hav heard some inpresive stuff made with both reason and fruity loops. but i think reason as a stand anlone program lacks the crystal clears sound. however if you use rason as a rewire through logic, cubase or even live you can get a much nicer sound. plus mastering sound is a lot better.

I think it really depends. I get the feeling that people just sort of like the software they get used to. I've spent the last year with Reason and I really know my way around the program. I'm intimate with it, and that comfort keeps me from really trying too hard to have a similar relationship with another program. Now I'm at the point where I feel I need something more serious, at least to make the sound from Reason better, which is why I've acquired Cubase. But messing around a bit on Cubase I've realized there are things that I really love about Reason. To give one simple example, Reason allows me to undo my tweaks on a synthesizer. Cubase does not. Which makes me scared to twiddle too much, because maybe I'll permanently mess up a sound in the name of experimentation.

But FL Studio seems to be catching up, and before too long, I suspect, it will be a very serious program. The last experiences I had with it, back in 2005, it seemed sloppy and simple. But you can't argue with the VST thing.

So, like anything, I guess it's a trade-off. And it really comes down to what you feel most intimate with. When I recommend FL Studio to a newbie, I recommend that he get familiar with the process, but not intimate with the program itself, because there are other programs he might like better but may not try if he's too in love with FL Studio. I'm going to have a hard time tearing myself away from Reason. But thanks to ReWire, I won't have to entirely. I'm just hoping that the next version has some big improvements.

If only girlfriends were like this. Oh shit, they are! :lol: