infected mushroom - cities of the future cds (yoyo rec)

In a way Infected Mushroom is like the last samurai. Granted, conventionally samurais and Israeli psytrance acts don't have that much if anything in common, yet a thing that links Mushies to the fighters obviously exists, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this shit down, now would I? Unless I'm drunk ofcourse. Then again, maybe I just better cut out the crap and continue. So like I was saying, they're both last of a kind, abnormal relics from the past, the good ol' days, way back then when men fought with honor and psytrance artists created psychedelic music. Look what we've come to! It sure is a rare breed of an artist that still "knows how". Apart from a few English gentlemen and a couple of other giants -Infected Mushroom included- well the craftsmen of psychedelic sounds are gone! I for one am not in for the groove, kickdrum, bassline or even melodies. I say fuck 'em, just give me some psychadelia. It's about the saddest thing in the universe that this medium is so, so rare these days.

So, the name promises psychedelic and psychedelic it's. This time it comes with some damn fine cheese. But cheese can be gourmet, doesn't always have to be Cheddar you know. Not that there's anything particular wrong with this dairy product, mac 'n' cheese at least is rather tasty.

"Radio Edit" has a commercial ring to it, hasn't it? But, to tell the truth the sound is the same (compared to the original mix), the tune is just compressed into half the lenght. They don't play 7 minute tunes on radio you know, not here at least. Actually, there's no way in hell you'd hear this 3:50 minute composition on the radio here anyways.

I'm pretty sure Duvdev wouldn't win say, BBC's "The singer of the World" competition -not without hypnosis, bribes or a bomb threat anyways- but that doesn't mean that he can't sing. I mean you can hear he's obviously doing it while listening to this tune. He obviously is no Andrea Bocelli, who is quite of a singer, but then again Bocelli doesn't get a billion ultra cool effects thrown over his voice too often. "We gonna run, run, run to the cities of the future. Take what we can and bring it back home. So take me down to the cities of the future, everybody is happy and I feel at home." Then we get to the point. Those synths are fucked up, in the most positive way ofcourse. The guitar is cool too. Infected Mushroom is one of the few groups that has a sound that can be recognized easily, and this tune is no expectation. You can download it from www.Infected-Mushroom.net free of charge!

Twice the length, twice as good? Now we're given some candy that was left out from the previous. The synths are even more fucked up for one, and then there's that umm, popcorn land part and there's definetly even more to it. Just as you start thinking "Boy it's over now" the tune raises from the grave and the dead walk again. The track takes a 180 degree turn like every few minutes just when you least expect it to. How cool is that? To answer the question, it's pretty fucking cool!

Violet Vision spells quality, so even before hearing this one I already knew for sure that it was going to be smashing. Violet goes for a chilled drum n' bass approach. I'm sure some expert could name the genre more precisely, but then again, who cares. As long as it's rocking your ass. Two of Israel's finest on the same single, that's just great! What's even greater is that they've got totally different styles, so the single doesn't get repeative.

The 4th and the last is a bonus one. I think I've seen this one in some tops ages ago. Not that it matters. There's definetly some illusion of old Infected sound going on, but there's definetly a new horse on the track too. Violent, yet relaxed, just like rancid cream, the tune advances, it's lumpy. Slowly we enter the kinky theme park, 03:12 to be exact. Elegant is the word. It's all here, classical instruments, brilliant composition, absence of Duvdev's voice (no offence :) ), just the way I like my mushrooms. Fried with cream, oh momma that's so tasty! This tune could have been on Classical Mushroom, really, maybe they kept it hidden in the deepest corner of the B.P Empire for all these years? Then again maybe they're returning to the roots. Many people wouldn't mind that at all that's for sure, no?

And now to the thing why you unguestionably read this entire text. MY opinion! Back in the days when I really started liking psytrance Infected Mushroom's Classical Mushroom was the album and The Gathering wasn't that bad either. Since then Infected has been in my opinion Israel's finest in psytrance, and having now listened to this single quite explicitly I must say that my opinion is not about to change. If you like Infected's previous stuff this single will make a good home of your cd deck for the next month or so. If you're not a fan, well don't bother..

I say 4/4 , it's a killer!

Guest healium

Infected Mushroom are my favorite psytrance act, and I'm quite the connosuir of psytrance...

If you think Infected have become commercial and are selling out and all that other bollocks I hear from people, you need to come live in the USA and hear some REALLY commercial and cheesy music!!

Infected mushroom make music that is both extremely psychedelic and musical, it's music that would NEVER be popular in the USA the way things are now...

Converting Vegetarians and BP Empire were both BRILLIANT albums, they just were and dark and phony-scary like The Gathering, but people talk about those two albums like they're Brittany Spears or something like that...

Can't wait for the new album!!

people tend to disklike B.P. Empire - and i don't see why.. What if IM never released The Gathering, Classical, and C.V... And their only album was "B.P. Empire". In this case i bet people would been really intresting in this promising act and their future work (not relating to the dark crazy flow on The Gathering and the melodic euphoria on Classical Mushroom all the time)

The BP Empire album is great - their best sounding piece of art! If you don't believe me - listen again. Stop whining like all those other forum wankers out there that always wants to tell how bad BP Empire is.

Ok with Trance side on C.V. - that is the most uninspired work i've ever heard from IM. But B.P. Empire is pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Trevor C

Wellll I think infected mushrooms are firm in the mainstream of psy, but who cares? Their music continues to diversify and their production value continues to soar. I was impressed even with quality of the MP3 of COTF, I can't wait to hear the full mix. Super clean sounds. I felt as though COTF radio edit was an interesting song because it seemed to be poised on the verge of crossing into some very interesting and unexpolred territory. I see COTF having a much greater public appeal than any other mushrooms songs.

COTF gives people a little bit of what they are used to in mainstream music (mainly speaking of the vocals and the song structure) so it's familiar- yet different because of how the familiar aspects are presented.

Oddly enough, some of the students in my recording college were talking about infected mushrooms one day "crazy shit" they were saying. That was weird because these guys are all integrated into the independent rock scene to an unimaginable extent (I guess they're as in to "underground" or independent rock as we are into trance). Hearing them suddenly talk about IM's was bizarre. Most of them act towards electronic music, especially trance, as you would react to waking up in the middle of the night to find a large spider dangling above your head.

cheers

-Trev