New track looking for feedback :)

sinistro

I am in the mood and just started some kick and bass myself, trying to groove it up for the last 2-3 days....so why not I listen only in headphones so you know...I quite like this track. The mids have a slightly crunchy vibe to them.. a little scratchy..so it is not like modern "big artist" psy that is smooth smooth smooth all the way up to the top. Nothing wrong with that we all have to develop styles. I miss the the snare in the middle of the stereo image, I like a punchy snap/snare in the middle, it seems panned off, or maybe slightly wide leaving a little hole in middle... against the hi hat. I only listen in headphones here so this is not super accurate situation.

When kbbb comes in after 5 seconds of good groove it become slighlty too machine gunny.. like the bass notes come a little early, maybe this psychoacoustic trickery stuff is hard to explain in words, at other times it works well like the end of the track. It is like the kick and bass notes, mainly bass notes I think are going off on their own rigid intention when exposed for that section of the track (after the sfx over the top die down and the kbbb is solo'd.. this is a really tricky are to nail though and I am very fussy with this (and still do not always get it quite right, but as we know practice makes perfect) I can only say I try and make the kick and bass stand on it's own two feet in my own tracks when almost solo'd as other fx and synths decay down.

I really like the initial progression after the kick and bass comes in 02:12 nice sequence. Maybe the intro is a little long nearly 2 mins.

Tricky for you... as do you listen to random people on the internet or not, ha ha, your choice.. keep going, good luck with refinements.

It always feel odd giving opinions as it is so personal. Try and get more views on it, it will help with understanding what others think. However in the end also trust your gut feeling as long as it works as "headphone psy" as I coin some of my own tracks or on the dancefloor you will be on the right path.

I just want to thank you for the time expended, giving me your advices on this specific track and i do view the same things as you do. One thing that i forgot was to use headphones for 2nd reference and just did on the monitors. Its allways good to use other lines of reference.
Thanks alot for your time and apreciation, got my follow on your soundcloud.
Liked a lot of your sounds you have your own identity thats very important and good, thats what i thrive for to :).

Once again ty my friend for the good advices 

No worries and thanks..I will follow back when I log in. Just keep going, you know the main thing is enjoying this.. it is hard work.. it took about 5-6 years to feel I get something close production wise. The trouble is often when you get "better" then you lose something cause psy trance have to start sounding more the same this is a problem.. so early ideas are often fresh and exciting, different and in some cases unique... and later they become more like everyone else.

There is a balance between originality and wanting to emulate because it is enjoyable to do that also.. it is a challenge and brings skills forward, many say ah... psy = copy paste.. yes because it moves everyone forwards in some ways to emulate. There will always be conformity otherwise we don't recognize the genre.. we have to try and somehow make it our own version, do enough work and with luck it comes natural without thinking, make the sounds you like and want to hear yourself.

Very difficult music, do it for yourself, feel it, enjoy it, smile !

I made kbbb and every time it is frustrating I used Kick 2 and a synth not a sample as I like a little more flexibility.. and there is a chance of surprise or making something better, with a sample you are stuck. However with freedom comes many many options and stress and difficulty. I go with the later every time so far.

Yesterday it clicked.. then I knew I get somewhere withe the kick and bass, then the smile comes.

You have to enjoy it otherwise we cannot do it.

And yes if kbbb is sounding good on speakers and headphones you are likely getting close.

Its exactly what i do init presets on vsts and just go all out trying stuff, warping the sounds that i made on the synthetizer to modify even more and yes i went for psytrance because it gives me more freedom to express myself and my prodution. We can get stuck it happens alot with me because i dont want to do the same the others do i want my identity on it.
For me psytrance production its like a painting. The canvas is its kick and bass, and then the painting well that is what ever i want the way i want a picture of myself of my fellings at the moment.

Totally true i can only do music when it "clicks" for me in this song for example was the intro i was in the middle of it and ideias started to pop out from everywhere its amazing and overwhelming, in other words its a fantastic and beautiful experience. And when you get to play them live and the crowd enjoys it its even more crazy i just cant explain the feeling. :)

Yes I agree it is a very enjoyable genre to produce but very difficult at first. Right now I am 96pct on my kick and bass - low note D Sharp which I do not normally do 39.89Hz fundamental so it should be a night time/foresty vibe by psy trance norms, but no I want some melody in it (at least I think that is what I want for now, you know how it goes.. these tracks often move in their own way at times.. I think I want melody and before you know it you are just making SFX over kbbb all of a sudden !! ?? We do need some of that of course for this genre unless we go full old school AP/MWNN style).... but I personally need kbbb to be 98pct before I can confidently add a snare and open hat. At 96pct it is easy to tweak it to 94 pct in error. It is so close to the edge of human timing perception and easy to make worse and not better. I usually spend 5-6 days in 40mins sessions.. after 40mins you can no longer judge anything. I stepped into the realm of "is my kick too harsh" as I am experimenting with a slightly "zappier" kick which can be really quite great... but you must get the top freqs of the kick right. Too zappy and it becames 1997, a little zap and it's 2009, so just a tiny bit of zap perception is my goal but more modern overall.

Kick and bass... pffft it gets no easier 15 tunes down the line. I did try samples a while back, but they never made it into a tune...they tend replaces your kick and bass synthesizer problems with new problems that generally relate to inflexibility and frankly....... easy identification that you used samples, not that it is some shameful thing to do lol.... as some have such a strong character they stick out like a sore thumb.

Twists and turns and takes long time but in the end something happens and you get a direction, have to go with the flow of what happens a bit, especially in the very early blank canvas stages as you mentioned. 

One thing I considered a lot the last 4 years is how open hat driven psy trance often is after the kbbb is nailed down, that hat snare groove is vital... I have to get the kbbb satisfactory despite the initial pain before I can even commit to a snare positioning.

One thing I did learn every new sound you add.. snare, then hat, then cl hats, or a top loop (programed or a loop sample) must augment and work with what went before groove wise...and is why the very starting point of kbbb needs to be a very solid foundation, otherwise it is downhill from there.

And let's not even mention the second guessing and insecurity that the kbbb may need more tweaks once you have a track built on the top of it ! Leave those problems for if/when they arise down the line.

Funny old music really.

• 4 weeks later...