How to improve my tracks need some feedback :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there I thought I would reply, psy trance is very difficult music to produce well, as I believe you are finding out. My suggestion is to buy some psy trance tracks you like and put them in your DAW (try and get the wav files) and reduce their volume so they are at the same volume by ear to your music. This will give an instant comparison for you to work towards. It can help if they are in the same key/bass root note.. but it is not strictly necessary.

Think about what is making the track... what synths, what balances, what effects (reverb, delay, phasers etc) and also consider how the track progresses.. also consider how much is going on at any one time. How does the open hi hat sound compared to snare level and those levels vs kick and bass.. consider the sonic relationships.... levels and tone of the sounds.

There are so many elements to sound engineering, good mixing and sound quality. I could write an essay and yet it may not be super helpful because I am not sitting next to you and able to make EQ adjustments, fader adjustments, apply effects processes etc. and demonstrate in real time what is happening and how and why things are getting better or worse)

Firstly well done for trying, it is a long road to be good at making psy trance, sadly many give up as it really is difficult. I think you may have some sounds that are clashing in your music when I listened just in headphones.. try not to have multiple sounds with strong lower mid ranges - i.e. between the 200-700Hz areas as they tend to interact with each other. (including with the kick and bass)

I cannot really say more as it is beyond the scope of a short internet posting.

Good luck and if you are feeling the vibe keep going and you should get there.. but realistically it might be 5 years to get something good going. Sorry but I have to be realistic. However it will be a fun, rewarding (and frustrating) journey. You need to love have the patience and drive to continue.

Also try Youtube/internet searches for advice on kick and bassline, synthesis, mixing arrangements. I suggest that E-Clip has some very good resources on YouTube.

If you are enjoying it continue !

• 3 weeks later...

I'll take a listen tonight, do you have any artist preferences or particular style you've aimed for? If so let me know, so I can listen to those and compare before giving feedback.  😎👍

• 1 month later...

The second track has best potential in my view to improve upon, what it could benefit from structure-wise is a more defined main theme. If you would like to introduce some storytelling elements to it, you could create 3 main melodic segments ("chorus sections"), each with its own unique melody. Some just add the exact same melody for each chorus, you could do that too, but then you really gotta make sure it's catchy so it doesn't get boring listening to it 3 times.

Between those "Chorus" segments you could add whatever you like, some rythmic parts or just swirling acidic lines building up to those main melodic parts. Or if you really want to delve into the storytelling mode, you could try to make verse parts between the chorus and even pre-chorus parts at the end of each verse part. The verse parts are usually just some shorter melodic figures telling some story. 

In the "Chorus" sections pads are usually introduced as well to elevate these sections. If you follow this formula, make sure to add a staggering final melody which will be the "bye bye part" or catharsis before the outro. The outro is usually just the intro copy pasted.

But this is just how I would approach it, you likely have other preferences. Those things I have suggested would add some coherence and theme to the tracks, but maybe you strive for a more scaled back style? Anyways keep experimenting.  :) 

What synth plugins are you using? And what effects and DAW?

14 hours ago, equilibrium said:

I'm using Logic and one synth only, the retrosynth, one retrosynth with the Step FX effect, everything from Logic stock, thanks for your opinion, I know my tracks now sound a bit repetitive I will try to improve.

There's always room for improvement. :) Music production is an eternal quest for perfection. Too bad we don't have the luxury of living forever or atleast for thousand years. Imagine the progress that could be made with more time! It's good that you use one synth only, and learn it inside out. There are so many options these days it's a bit overwelming at times. Cheers!