Hallucinogen in Classical - Gamma Goblins (draft)

denstrow

What an interesting project. It makes apparent Posford's compositional genius as one rhythm/melody flows organically into another with consummate ease, just in case that was not already obvious. The deep woody sounds of clarinet, oboe, and cello also add to my appreciation of this wonderfully whacky track. At times I felt the conventional rock/dance drum kit was overused and that the beat could be implied rather than stated. I also felt that it stuck a little bit too closely to the original and a bit of extemporisation might have added something. Imagine hearing a full symphony orchestra playing this live. A worthy project - thanks for posting! ~*~

this is amazing. did you write it yourself? it sounds almost exactly like the original down to the hihat rolls.

sounds just like you got a midi and replaced the sounds, thats how good it is. curious how you made this. its very impressive if you did just copy it and wrote it yourself by ear, and how you got so close to the original, compositionally. Its almost uncanny. Like you were Simon but replaced all instruments with orchestral versions. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 7:40 AM, DoktorG said:

What an interesting project. It makes apparent Posford's compositional genius as one rhythm/melody flows organically into another with consummate ease, just in case that was not already obvious. The deep woody sounds of clarinet, oboe, and cello also add to my appreciation of this wonderfully whacky track. At times I felt the conventional rock/dance drum kit was overused and that the beat could be implied rather than stated. I also felt that it stuck a little bit too closely to the original and a bit of extemporisation might have added something. Imagine hearing a full symphony orchestra playing this live. A worthy project - thanks for posting! ~*~

Thank you! My intention with this was a complete transcription (as opposed to arrangement) - which is why everything sounds pretty much identical to the original. This has to do with how I like working (i.e. making instruments play the original lines as closely as possible, because I want to show both how it can be done with traditional instruments and because, well, those were the lines that made us all go wild in the first place!) - but for a recording I would do a few things differently, e.g. use a jazz drummer in this particular track who would add his own things, and add other small embelishments, while remaining true to the original.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:15 PM, astralprojection said:

this is amazing. did you write it yourself? it sounds almost exactly like the original down to the hihat rolls.

sounds just like you got a midi and replaced the sounds, thats how good it is. curious how you made this. its very impressive if you did just copy it and wrote it yourself by ear, and how you got so close to the original, compositionally. Its almost uncanny. Like you were Simon but replaced all instruments with orchestral versions. 

Thanks for listening! Yeah, I transcribed it by ear (I don't think you can find a midi of it on the internet), pretty much note-to-note, but I'm a professional classical musician by day, and I've done a whole concert's worth Frank Zappa music in the past for a gig, so I felt up to the task...

On 8/5/2022 at 2:57 AM, technosomy said:

i posted this on a fansite and bar a couple of things  simon loves it

Simon saw it? I had contacted him for maybe doing a whole album's worth of Twisted Music material, but he never replied (I guess because the cost was prohibitive)... Could you link to his comment?

On 8/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, Trolsk said:

Sounds really promising! Could turn out to be just as excellent as Hallucinogen in dub.

I was hoping to do an album of Hallucinogen, Prometheus, Shpongle in collaboration with Twisted, but that seems unlikely... I am currently thinking of doing a Kickstarter for an EP, if there's any interest - we'll see! I'm a classical musician, so I already know 20+ amazing musicians who would be up to the challenge, if only I can find some money...

11 hours ago, denstrow said:

Thanks for listening! Yeah, I transcribed it by ear (I don't think you can find a midi of it on the internet), pretty much note-to-note, but I'm a professional classical musician by day, and I've done a whole concert's worth Frank Zappa music in the past for a gig, so I felt up to the task...

Very well done. You should offer transcription as a service to people. 

14 hours ago, denstrow said:

Simon saw it? I had contacted him for maybe doing a whole album's worth of Twisted Music material, but he never replied (I guess because the cost was prohibitive)... Could you link to his comment?

was on a shpongle facebook site, but he did say he liked it

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 12:02 AM, denstrow said:

I was hoping to do an album of Hallucinogen, Prometheus, Shpongle in collaboration with Twisted, but that seems unlikely... I am currently thinking of doing a Kickstarter for an EP, if there's any interest - we'll see! I'm a classical musician, so I already know 20+ amazing musicians who would be up to the challenge, if only I can find some money...

Hallucinogen, Prometheus and Shpongle would be fantastic! I would be more than happy to support a Kickstarter. Keep us updated!