Do you guys even believe in evolution?

Tetrasect

On 7/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, Magus Knight said:

@RTPYou are definitely on to something. I watched a short clip about how the music to the classic snes game, Donkey Kong Country was composed. They really worked with the limitations and had to invent creative solutions to working with such a small hardware memory footprint.

In case you're interested, you can try look up some stuff from the old demo scene - they were very good in that: tweaking the maximum out of old hardware.
If we had this level of tinkering right now, I'm sure the results would be jaw dropping...

But sadly the development has been going in the opposite direction - maybe also due to shorter attention spans. People quickly jump on the next train. Maybe there's a small localized hype if somebody came out with a real innovation in our scene, but I guarantee it will be soon forgotten or replaced by the next trend -- which is very odd, because this scene usually never cared about such things as "trends".

I guess as you guys are gamers, you know this: 

Anyway, this notion that limitations are always and necessarily a problem is disproved by music in the last 10+ years. Limitations can be enabling, can encourage creativity. Pushing against, or otherwise surmounting and subverting, a boundary is a significant part what artists do.