2o22 - predictions, opinions...

RTP

From 2oo2...
...to 2o22.

Wild ride, I gotta say. Any predicitons for the next x years?

I am first. I predict (and hope for) more liquid dnb remixes of psytrance-ish tracks.

Like this

I's not been released in 2o22, it's 3 days early ... but boy. This blew me away.

I thought psytrance'd be kinda 'clinically ill', never coming out of that hole anymore that it dug itself into with cheap indian samples paired with horrible break-ish (as in: lots of breaks) "myocarditis fullon"...
...but hey, I was very wrong! Some kind souls have come for our rescue and lead us into different territory, where the grass is still green, the sound still fresh, the swing still there and the air still clean. So clean! Who would have thought that I now play Banco De gaia on repeat again, only for it to be a remix of Framewerk ... damn these guys are good.
There's more Obsidian remixes, by the way...

Welcome to 2o22 ... the last year with a beautifully symmetric number that I will live in ... can't wait for "22.2.22" (the 22nd of Febuary...)

...Banco De Gaia ... and "remix BY Framewerk" ... that's where it gets down to when I don't edit my posts

(it was a goal for this year for me to edit less :P )

• 1 month later...

I don’t have any particular expectations for 2022 I guess. It’s a very dark age, if I had the ability to rewind time. I would do so, and set it around 1996 or so. My wishes and hopes for this genre, would be to find something which really blows my mind again. Something new that captures the sensations that Crop Circles/Pleiadians or Hallucinogen managed to capture, would make me happy. :) Something so outlandishly alien and weird that you doubt that it was even made by humans. I need some hyperdimensional stories! To teleport the mind to paranormal realities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well said. I think the scene is in a form of canyon, surrounded by walls ... we must stop walking and start flying again if we wanna discover the beauty around us again; we somehow have forgotten how to do that, I'm afraid. And with "we" I mean "the scene". If it just continues like that, there may be a dead end somewhere further down this road...
...but we are NOT there yet and I do believe that this summer, the whole Covid thing will be "declared over" = we don't know if it's really over or not, but media and people will slowly have enough of it and reopen everything, including venues and festivals. And this "reopening" can also be a chance for GOOD difference to manifest, new structures to form ... I have hopes that, after a big exuberant start (which will no doubt happen) and maybe also some excesses we will then, in the collective hangover that follows, have the formation of more humble ways and those may be less energetic, but longer lasting...

In any way, the "spirit" will have the chance to come back for the one or for the other and maybe it even does both, making both kind of people happy in the long term ^_^

Until then, I'll just continue looking elsewhere.
I have already said before that I am scouting for new good stuff that "blows my mind" across many genres ... it will only continue like that.
Heard of Charlie Sparks? This guy has pretty much everything in his set ... psytrance, borderline hitech, churning techno, industrial ... I do not like all of it, but I believe this is the way. Genre borders are broken and watered down and I do think it's a good thing. This will continue.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 8:36 AM, RTP said:

...Banco De Gaia ... and "remix BY Framewerk" ... that's where it gets down to when I don't edit my posts

(it was a goal for this year for me to edit less :P )

I am all in on psychedelic Drum and bass. Super underrated and unexplored. 

Was at a pretty big bush doof last weekend and got down like crazy to the guy playing the psy DnB. Was certainly a highlight, potentially because there was no Goa.  But damn it was epic.

I've only ever found one illegal compilation on a torrent site that had epic liquid psyDnB and it really got me into it. But I could never find anything else. 

As for 2022, fuck it who knows. It feels like we are currently in a simulation that throws one piece of shit at us after the next. So I'm just going to jump on your bandwagon and hope for more psyDnB, a Skarma album, the return of Global sect, a Centavra Project album and some more unexpected gems.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

I've only ever found one illegal compilation on a torrent site that had epic liquid psyDnB and it really got me into it. But I could never find anything else.

You don't, by any chance, remember any artist or track names? I'd be up for a digging session on my end. This stuff is great and I'd be interesting to hear more of it B)

16 hours ago, RTP said:

You don't, by any chance, remember any artist or track names? I'd be up for a digging session on my end. This stuff is great and I'd be interesting to hear more of it B)

I have bad news and bad news. 

The bad: At the time of writing I hadn't listened to the Banco De Gaia track yet. It's much softer than I was thinking. In my mind Psy DnB sounds closer to:-

This

Or This

The other bad news is that the compilation I was thinking of was Psybreaks. Not Psy liquid DnB. 2022 bring me the Psybreaks!! it was on Sound park titled - "Psy breaks compiled by Zebyte" but it ain't even close to the uplifting beauty of the Banco track. Still bangaz imo tho. Here's an example for it (Before you go looking it up)

https://cosmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/v-a-boulevard-of-broken-drums the only legit Psy DnB album I could find.

Hope I didn't get any hopes up.

Hmmm ... well, I didn't exactly expect that, but it's not so bad news as you might have imagined.

I do think, however, that these tracks that you posted first ... well, Midival Punditz I know and the other one is ... hmmm, I don't percieve it as good, but it might be easy to drop some distorted dubstep sequences in it and then call it psystep I guess? Not for me though...

Nah, I miss these uplifting melodies, you know, that floating feeling ... I think it's that what I am after...

The trouble in the Attic is quite good though ... and I will give the last one a good listen, it seems promising.

I had to dig this old psybreaks album up 

Mood Deluxe - The Tangent Universe

https://www.discogs.com/release/731010-Mood-Deluxe-The-Tangent-Universe

It has been a while since I listened to it, but did like it a lot!

Edited, found it on bandcamp , and its actually free 

https://liquidrecords.bandcamp.com/album/mood-deluxe-the-tangent-universe

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:30 PM, Drosophila said:

Edited, found it on bandcamp , and its actually free 

https://liquidrecords.bandcamp.com/album/mood-deluxe-the-tangent-universe

Yo this is cool ... in fact they have more free releases there on Liquid Records!

With that move, Liquid Ross is on the road of redeeming his credit on my (personal account) for the fuckup of S-Range's Another Theory ... I am still cross about that damn thing <_<

Edit: by the way ... a new S-RANGE album in 2022! THAT would be a bold prediction. I'm having high hopes here. I hope they don't let us down in this year again...
But it's actually harder than you think - I have already offered (maybe not persistent enough, but you know, I don't wanna be a s.t.a.l.k.e.r. because that would be no good for no one) to buy out the Another Theory ... but to no avail. It'd be great though, because I need a release anyway for that label project ... can only say two words: "on it"....

• 1 month later...

no offence, but that track sounds exactly like anything off gatecrasher in the 90's from the early set cd's. 

its like a 24bit 96khz re-release of any track by " BT" (brian transeu) or "way out west" pre 2001...

if thats the future then everything old is new once again...

• 1 year later...