I randomly listened to this psytrance on Youtube (Technical Hitch)

Prana4ever

I am not familiar with this style but my first impression was the amazing sound quality and production, I would call it psytrance but maybe there is a subgenre. Anyway I wanted to hear your opinion. I noticed on this forum there is more talk about Goa trance but at the same time Goa trance barely evolves at all (IMO), while this track from Technical Hitch, well it is IMO a big evolution from the psytrance we knew 20 years ago.

Opinions? 

6 hours ago, Prana4ever said:

I am not familiar with this style but my first impression was the amazing sound quality and production, I would call it psytrance but maybe there is a subgenre. Anyway I wanted to hear your opinion. I noticed on this forum there is more talk about Goa trance but at the same time Goa trance barely evolves at all (IMO), while this track from Technical Hitch, well it is IMO a big evolution from the psytrance we knew 20 years ago.

Opinions? 

I will take a listen, the artworks looks cool. (If it belongs to the release in question I don't know?). :) Regarding Goa Trance and its evolution, it's a double-edged sword. In the sense that since it was a genre that pretty much died out. And it later on was resuscitated, it has since been re-modeled/re-interpreted based on the "archaic formulas". Much like in architecture, so what happens is that if these new producers of the genre stray away too much from those older ideals, it will undoubtedly branch of into newer sub-genres. And people will not recognize the styles perhaps. Which is what happened in the first place, hence why we got all these different styles/sub-genres today. (Darkpsy, Psytrance, Full-On etc), each with their own diverging branches. So that's why we now have these very distinctly shaped prototypical Goa styles, because they feel familiar. And follow some basic rules of what the style is it at a core level. The stylistic traits or hallmarks.

I think there's no shortage of good music to be found, in all Psy-Trance related genres. What I like to do is to dive right into one specific genre/subgenre, or label output/artist catalog. And just explore everything, until I'm completely fed up. :D Like now I'm quite bored with the oriental Goa, and I'm looking for darker Goa/Psy. It very much depends for me on the mood of the year, now it's rather dark and autumn in my country. For summer, the more uplifting qualities of Goa (new and old) fits better. IMO.

Anyways, variety is the key I think. Too much old school stuff can get boring, certainly if one has listened to the same set of artists/albums for over 20 years. I think it's interesting to follow where the genre is moving, I don't agree with all of it, but I rather it stays alive and prosper somehow.

I didn't know that exact track (thanks for posting it it's great!) but I discovered Technical Hitch a while back and was quite impressed. I think it's rooted in the hi-tech subgenre, some tracks have really crazy bpms, but he adds these sublime melodies and ethnic atmospheres which takes the whole thing  to a next level 

One of my favs (190 bpm tho!)

A remix mix with a more "normal" bpm

I also think Sonic Elysium has somewhat similar vibe (being in a more accessible bpm range)

And maybe some Terrafractyl stuff (more of a "sympho-psy" ... or whatever you may call that. The common thing is that it's very melodic and doesn't stick much to the ubiquitous "psytrance formulae")

• 2 weeks later...