Need some more floating/swirly Goa Trance!

HolyLight

So I listened through Ethereal’s Anima Mundi album yesterday, and became instantly hooked to this particular style of Goa. Particularly the first tracks: ”All Systems Are Go (Expand The System Mix)” and Cosmic Lobster. have heard this album in the past and liked it, but now it made more sense somehow. :) 

So now I naturally begin to wonder if there’s some more Goa, with these same floaty/swirly/stormy and indeed hypnotic qualities? Only things I’ve heard so far which qualifies. Is to a large degree Mindsphere’s Inner Cyclone album. Which is a really cool interpretation of this style, a very anatolian/oriental take on it. Ethereals tracks on compilations. And the Kunai Ascendancy album, which takes it even far east into Chinese territories stylewise. 

And perhaps one could argue that Flying Into A Star and Liquid Sun by Astral Projection have some of it. And maybe started the trend somewhat? But these tracks are not fully what I would categorize as this style. They just have some aspects of it.

Tracks in this style can be very acidic, with lot’s of auto filters and filter plugins on the 303’s/101’s etc. And there is an emphasis on delays, particularly the classic pong pong effect. I’ve been told that Liquid Flow has stuff in this vein as well. Not sure yet how it compares to the above mentioned. So anything more I could check out? :) 

And as a bonus maybe someone knows some more older origins of this style?

Both Mindsphere and Liquid Flow have albums called "presence"and both albums are worth checking out 

Mindpshere is probably  closer to what you are looking for, it has a lot of these floating, warbling and bubbling melodies with massive filter tweaking over fast paced melodic arpeggios,  Liquid Flow is a more straghtforward AP style buit there's some delicious floaty stuff in there as well

Also some stuff by Zopmanika (might be too nitzho but still good)

And othar ususal suspects from Global Sect, such as Centavra project, Median Project etc

• Thanks 2

Thanks will dig right in! :D:+1: The first one sure did the trick, listening now. Love the huge Nitzho kick drums on it. The Mindsphere Mental Triplex Presence album. Can’t believe I had missed that one. That’s the style right there, euphoric floating space divers. These kick drums are certainly the old Greek/Israeli ones, the best kicks. BOOM BOOM BOOM!

Perhaps Boris Blenn and his Electric Universe project is in no small part responsible for this cosmic hypnotic style? :D 

The number one pick for me would be Crossing Mind - The Inner Shift. I find I get really lost and deep in their melodies and tracks. Pretty floaty euphoric stuff. I can sleep, meditate or dance to this album

Ypsilon 5 - Binary Sky is close to anima mundi, in particular the track Paranormal

I found Nova Fractals - Fractal Landscape to be fitting the bill. A little more computerized but still in that territory. 

Goasia as well. Let's just go with - Dancing With The Blue Spirit. Although it really only gives me that hit on the first 1 or 2 listens and wears a little thin thereafter. 

And at the risk of telling you more of what you already know.

Synsun - The Sound of Cosmic Lifeforms (probably not the exact style your after but still having some of the aspects)

Finally 2 of my favourite tracks that both happen to be from the same Space Dock Records - Goa Trance Legacy album 

Goasia - Polar Lights

Hypnagogia - Cosmic Interference

These tracks certainly fit the bill. . . I think

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

The number one pick for me would be Crossing Mind - The Inner Shift. I find I get really lost and deep in their melodies and tracks. Pretty floaty euphoric stuff. I can sleep, meditate or dance to this album

Ypsilon 5 - Binary Sky is close to anima mundi, in particular the track Paranormal

I found Nova Fractals - Fractal Landscape to be fitting the bill. A little more computerized but still in that territory. 

Goasia as well. Let's just go with - Dancing With The Blue Spirit. Although it really only gives me that hit on the first 1 or 2 listens and wears a little thin thereafter. 

And at the risk of telling you more of what you already know.

Synsun - The Sound of Cosmic Lifeforms (probably not the exact style your after but still having some of the aspects)

Finally 2 of my favourite tracks that both happen to be from the same Space Dock Records - Goa Trance Legacy album 

Goasia - Polar Lights

Hypnagogia - Cosmic Interference

These tracks certainly fit the bill. . . I think

Thanks a lot you actually managed to recommend almost exclusively albums I haven’t heard yet. Only ones I have heard at some point in time is the Ypsilon-5 one and Goasia. And I don’t remember at all how they sounded. So now is the right time! Btw what happened to Ypsilon-5? I only remember them vaguely from around 2006 or 2007 and that they/him? Was from my country. :) 

It seems quite a few from the 00’s Goa wave are gone? Aerosis, Ypsilon-5? Yesod, hmm some more probably. Omegahertz and Radical Distortion maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

@AstralSphinx I've relistened to Anima Mundi and realised that my recommendations were not even close. Maybe Crossing Mind and Ypsilon were the closest.

I recently stumbled upon this one and maybe it fits the mould - https://bluehoursounds.bandcamp.com/album/blue-ep - Although the mastering could perhaps have been improved.

• Thanks 1

Yes, The Inner shift is really nice... but also the following album from Crossing Mind is good: Beyond Duality... Try it, maybe You like it.

I put a few tracks from Crossing Mind together and now I have another "album" (not official and just for me) with the same style. Here are the tracks, check it out. All tracks are available on bandcamp (where I downloaded it). Most are from complilations from suntrip...

01 Hydrophobic Visions
02 Entropy
03 Virtual Mind Cleaner
04 Cyclone In Your Heart (2014 Remix)
05 Xtatic Confusion
06 Over Time Frame
07 Goathmic Pulsations
08 Trip Through

Almost 80 minutes of crazy melodies and superb kicks (double, triple etc.)...

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, DoktorG said:

I have only one two letter word for you: RA! 

Great stuff indeed! To Sirius is probably the best executed Egyptian themed Goa album to date. It brings back beautiful memories of better times. Full of light and inspiration.  

Everything seemed a little simpler back then, the biggest issues were related to which classic Goa CD to get, what Goa party to attend. It’s great that music can preserve emotions in time, I get instantly teleported back to that era by just listening to these tunes. The 9th album as well such a well-refined concept.

Some reviewers (on Discogs, for instance) have found RA to be lacking in dramatic hooks, but even if that is true (which I'm sceptical about) those can detract from the hypnosis that RA typically enables in the listener. Indeed, it might be said that the ethereal, floaty, swirly kind of Goa is more about hypnosis than it is about climaxes - more a plateau than a mountain range, more an inner journey than an outer one. Hypnosis is surely close to the heart of trance, related as it is to meditation, magic, dream, and altered states of consciousness. 

My vinyl copy of To Sirius has amazing sound - lots of tonal colour against a black backdrop. I'm excited to get 9th on vinyl, which should be any day now. I don't think Earthcall is as great as the two prior albums, but it is good nevertheless. For me Christer Borge-Lunde is a major contributor to Goa trance and an instant buy. Do you know "ROM/Azure Child"? Came out on a Blue Moon 12" in 97 - amongst RA's best tracks: 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:35 AM, DoktorG said:

Some reviewers (on Discogs, for instance) have found RA to be lacking in dramatic hooks, but even if that is true (which I'm sceptical about) those can detract from the hypnosis that RA typically enables in the listener. Indeed, it might be said that the ethereal, floaty, swirly kind of Goa is more about hypnosis than it is about climaxes - more a plateau than a mountain range, more an inner journey than an outer one. Hypnosis is surely close to the heart of trance, related as it is to meditation, magic, dream, and altered states of consciousness. 

My vinyl copy of To Sirius has amazing sound - lots of tonal colour against a black backdrop. I'm excited to get 9th on vinyl, which should be any day now. I don't think Earthcall is as great as the two prior albums, but it is good nevertheless. For me Christer Borge-Lunde is a major contributor to Goa trance and an instant buy. Do you know "ROM/Azure Child"? Came out on a Blue Moon 12" in 97 - amongst RA's best tracks: 

Well put and it is fully in accordance with my own reflections. Certainly the emphasis on as you say hypnotic features, adds a timelessness feeling to the experience. Since the sense of time gets lost without the anchor points, that a more standard tension/release  hook based formula provides. So this approach lends itself beautifully to a space-diving sensation.

And I’m convinced that the hypnotic and indeed trance-like effect, that these type of musical arrangements provide. Probably stimulates some very basic and primordial parts of our brains. Meditative qualities indeed.

I certainly envy your vinyl selection, since I’ve never had the opportunity to listen to these masterpieces in that format. The analog vinyl format adds another layer to the experience which is truly unique and sets the tone. 

"Timelessness": I like that. I'm also so happy that we agree on the pre-eminence of this artist. 

Analogue has a physical, visceral sound that vibrates the whole body. If set up and played back right (not always straightforward), it can also deliver a velvety warmth and scale that is seductive and appeals to precisely "the primordial parts of our brains". 

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, Tsotsi said:

Have you heard the latest DAT release?

https://beatspace-dat.bandcamp.com/album/goa-generator

Was listening today and it made me think about this thread.

Thanks gonna check it out, just read the DAT-thread. Seems very promising from the description/backstory. I suppose it’s in the Pleiadian vernacular stylewise? The description hints at something like that if I’m not entirely of the track? :)

I like the description of the music bearing  traces of a particular hand. Similar to how stylistic traits/hands are recognized in archaeology. That is pertaining to different workshops. So it’s fitting then since here we’re obviously dealing with Goa archaeology. Hehe

5 hours ago, Magus Knight said:

I suppose it’s in the Pleiadian vernacular stylewise

It's closer to the Ethica style. Probably the closest to Etnica I've heard from an artist. So also not to far from Pleiadians by proxy haha. 

This is goa archeology for sure. 

• Like 1