Tracks that you don't understand why they are big classics?

Prana4ever

14 hours ago, Proxeeus said:

Also anything "Man with no Name" except for Teleport and his remix of Eat Static - Bony Incus

I think his remixes are by far his best output. He made a lot of great ones, not only Bony Incus... For the trance lovers... The Orange Theme Remix is wonderful, Greece 2000, Quietman, Dream Universe,... 

• Like 2

Another one (prepared to accept the tomatoes people will throw at me) but Shamanix of Hallucinogen is probably his weakest track on both albums and for sure his most well known. Its cheesy and just... meh, while more or less ALL other ones are superb :) 
(probably thats why people love it... easy to digest) :) 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:52 AM, Prana4ever said:

We all have our favorites, among them big classics that we like to revisit time and time again. On the other side of the fence, tracks that are considered big classics and you don't get why.

For me: E-Rection - Out there we are stoned (X-Dream remix). A fine track but I think it is very overrated. 

The floor is yours :ph34r:

That plucky melody sounded sooo trippy back then (still does, imo), combined with the X-dream bassline, the "out here we are stoned" sample and the drop, it was a huge track. 1998, what a year. The Beyond Colour compilation is one of the undisputed masterpieces of this genre.

Personally, I've never understood Green Nuns of the Revolution. The only track of theirs I appreciate is Green Nunions, and that's probably because it sounds like a Posford collaboration. It sounds very much like something from his Space Cat collaboration.

1 hour ago, Anoebis said:

Another one (prepared to accept the tomatoes people will throw at me) but Shamanix of Hallucinogen is probably his weakest track on both albums and for sure his most well known. Its cheesy and just... meh, while more or less ALL other ones are superb :) 
(probably thats why people love it... easy to digest) :) 

I'd bet LSD is his most well known track.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, Trolsk said:

Well yes it probably is, and I think much of that has to do with how it was promoted heavily as a promo CD single. :) It was the first track I heard by him since a friend of mine aquired a  lot of those at his work. I think it was a very careful decision to have that track as a promo for the album.

Since it was a bit softer than the rest of the album. And besides the track name is short and on point, it sticks. Three letters, which are on top of that a controversial abbreviation of a drug. So it served as a good introduction as to what the theme of the album/music was all about.

And I could be remembering wrong, but I think I read in an interview that LSD was in part inspired by the Age of Love Remix by Jam & Spoon?

But dont’t quote me on it. ;) As I could have mixed it up with some other track on the Twisted album.

If I remember correctly, that could perhaps explain why it has a bit of a commercially accepted flavour to it. It was very popular here in my country even among my female friends at the time. And they were not into acid/goa much besides that.

On 9/25/2021 at 8:17 PM, Proxeeus said:

Also anything "Man with no Name" except for Teleport and his remix of Eat Static - Bony Incus

I agree, his output is mostly forgettable. 

On 9/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, thanosp81 said:

That's easy. The muses rapt - spiritual healing. I mean...really? That's a bad bad track.

AMEN to that... It's a bad track, not even a mediocre one

For me it has to be MFG. I don't particularly like any of their tracks.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, Trolsk said:

On this point. For me it was probably the least memorable from the album. I got a huge rush from all the other tracks on the album but nothing from LSD.

1 hour ago, Tsotsi said:

On this point. For me it was probably the least memorable from the album. I got a huge rush from all the other tracks on the album but nothing from LSD.

Which I think proves why it was a wise decision to use it as the CD-single. :) Complete with a short radio edit and all. None of the other tracks would’ve worked on radio IMO. Way to acidic/alien stuff. :D (Not that I ever managed to hear LSD on regular commercial radio stations. That would’ve been quite cool).

The LSD track has more of a soft and sweet tone to it. A bit like some tracks on Man With No Name’s Moment of Truth album. And like Jean-Michel Jarre in some aspects.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Knocking some of the shibboleths of a movement off their pedestals is not only a sign of decadence, a movement in decay, but also an important stage in identifying the classics that stand the test of time. 

Hence I read the comments above with some iconoclastic delight and some recognition. I completely agree with the insightful posters above that these are, or were, over-rated:

Astral Projection "Trust in Trance" (good album, make that very good, but not in the league of "Dancing Galaxy" and "Another World")

Hallucinogen "The Lone Deranger" (amazing sparkling moments but just a bit too cocky about its whacky schtick, such as the Celtic knees-up in "Jiggle of the Sphinx")

Man With No Name (some brilliant tracks and very good production but Goa-lite) 

Green Nuns of the Revolution (infectious at times, but comes across today as hastily thrown together)

The Muses Rapt (the cheddar detector was malfunctional) 

Infected Mushroom (first two albums are excellent; after that...)

So there we have it: the greatest hits of Goa trance are reduced to smouldering ruins by the critics. The question all this begs is what, then, has withstood the test of time? But I think that's for another topic. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, DoktorG said:

Hallucinogen "The Lone Deranger" (amazing sparkling moments but just a bit too cocky about its whacky schtick, such as the Celtic knees-up in "Jiggle of the Sphinx")

I can certainly agree with the Jiggle of the Sphinx part here (and to a certain extent, Deranger too). I mean, there's an obvious reason why there's a gap of silence after Gamma Goblins 2 (with those 6 first tracks mixed into a seamless journey): the album actually ends there. The 2 last tracks are more like an afterthought, or filler to get the release to "album length". Deranger had a single release anyway already (and yeah yeah so did Trancespotter but it fits well into the album continuum).

Of course, the album isn't everyone's cup of tea. I bought my (golden CD) copy from a friend of mine back in 1998 or so because he didn't like it (I can't recall if he ever really explained what exactly he didn't like about it).

• Sad 1

I personally thought that Asia 2001 was pretty meh, some stuff is good but it just sounds super dry and hasn't aged well. Psykadelia is good but Strange World and Ra are pretty boring. Live is good only for the MFG tracks.

Edit: Just a little update. I listened to the first 2 Asia 2001 albums and I am wrong, they are pretty good. Maybe I just needed some substances to push me in the right direction :D

• Sad 1

On 4/1/2022 at 3:03 PM, Paul Eye said:

An to add to the topic: anything by Entheogenic. I simply can't stand their shitty plastic "psybient" at all.

I used to feel the same way, but their music has grown on me a lot, these days I consider Sapiential to be one of the best tracks in this genre.

This is another favorite, listen to the sound that enters at 3:50, very psychedelic

Compared to Shpongle I find Entheogenic to be more postmodern, focusing more on sounds and some melodies and loose structures. Those elements are also part of Shpongle's music, but I think it's evident that Posford is from another era of music making, and also on another level of expertise, still I really like Entheogenic these days.