Tracks that you don't understand why they are big classics?

Prana4ever

We all have our favorites, among them big classics that we like to revisit time and time again. On the other side of the fence, tracks that are considered big classics and you don't get why.

For me: E-Rection - Out there we are stoned (X-Dream remix). A fine track but I think it is very overrated. 

The floor is yours :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anoebis said:

I am a HUGE Astral Projection lover, but never understood why Mahadeva became so big, while so many other tracks of them were SO much better :D 

I feel the same

AP - Trust in Trance (3)

is often quoted amongst their best releases, or if not, The best. 

Which always rubbed me a bit the wrong way. To be fair, People Can Fly has an awesome theme, and the drop after the buildup is kind of legendary but the track on its own is kind of bland and  not one of my fav AP tracks.. 

And the rest of the tracks on that CD are meh, except Enlightened Evolution. But the Remix of that is still better.  So my nomination goes to the whole TiT3 CD by AP.

Really generic bland tracks on there imo. (for being AP, anyway)

But my main gripe with this album is not People can fly ofc, its Kabalah. Often spoken to be amongst their best, i think its amongst their very worst.

Astral Files isnt really a strong contender either but at least it has the enlightened remix (one of their absolute best ones) and time began.

8 hours ago, astralprojection said:

AP - Trust in Trance (3)

is often quoted amongst their best releases, or if not, The best. 

Which always rubbed me a bit the wrong way. To be fair, People Can Fly has an awesome theme, and the drop after the buildup is kind of legendary but the track on its own is kind of bland and  not one of my fav AP tracks.. 

And the rest of the tracks on that CD are meh, except Enlightened Evolution. But the Remix of that is still better.  So my nomination goes to the whole TiT3 CD by AP.

Really generic bland tracks on there imo. (for being AP, anyway)

But my main gripe with this album is not People can fly ofc, its Kabalah. Often spoken to be amongst their best, i think its amongst their very worst.

Astral Files isnt really a strong contender either but at least it has the enlightened remix (one of their absolute best ones) and time began.

I think that if Astral Projection hadn't released the Dancing Galaxy another world albums afterwards, certainly one of the albums prior to those would have been their magmum opus. Thankfully they went above and beyond with these followup albums, and improved their formula in every conceivable way.

So I think it's easy to underestimate the impact their first albums had at the time of their release. That beeing said I agree, however I really like the artwork for the Trust In Trance 3 album. :) It's one of their best artworks IMO. What I do appreciate with the Trust In Trance album is that it features a collab with MFG, I would really have loved to get some more of that on the following albums. Particularly in the styles on Another World and Project Genesis. Those would have made a good blend, and to some extent the track Flying Into A Star from Dancing Galaxy which is a bit darker.

As for tracks I don't fully appreciate that are considered classics, I'll have to think it through. None really stands out at the moment. On the other hand I do remember a lot of tracks that were considered masterpieces and were very popular, even hits I dare say at the time of their release, that in retrospect haven't really aged that well.

And that I don't see many people talk about these days. Atleast not with the same intensity and appraisal. Since a lot of those type of tracks relied on some technical progress which made them stand out at the time perhaps. The most timeless tracks seems to be those with some kind of memorable content and not only technical showcases.

There are some albums that are considered classics by some people as well, which might be a bit controversial. Perhaps a bit in the same vein that some movies that became cult classics, despite beeing neglected by the masses on release. The first that springs to mind is Psygone - Optimystique, I'll have to listen through it again before making up my mind on this album.

I do know that it was a source of inspiration for some of the artists of the first Neo Goa wave. Thus it's importance might be cemented somehow, despite not beeing a well known or widely appreciated classic per se.

19 minutes ago, thanosp81 said:

That's easy. The muses rapt - spiritual healing. I mean...really? That's a bad bad track.

You just swore in the church. :ph34r::lol:;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:16 PM, Anoebis said:

I am a HUGE Astral Projection lover, but never understood why Mahadeva became so big, while so many other tracks of them were SO much better :D 

2 hours ago, thanosp81 said:

That's easy. The muses rapt - spiritual healing. I mean...really? That's a bad bad track.

So... octave bass not your thing, eh? :DDDD

21 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

is that it features a collab with MFG, I would really have loved to get some more of that on the following albums.

Agree with your whole post but, they did at least make one more tune together, which is absolutely amazing. The Sleeper Must Awake. And ofc their "megamix" called Nintrance. Also amazing. I remember taking the bike to college the years 98-02 (well alot of times i did that) and had this stuff on repeat. This is how I discovered MFG to begin with, as the track Sunshine from Nintrance made me go and visit the Genesis CD.

Would have really loved to see them create more music together as their sounds incorporates so well. 

1 hour ago, astralprojection said:

Agree with your whole post but, they did at least make one more tune together, which is absolutely amazing. The Sleeper Must Awake. And ofc their "megamix" called Nintrance. Also amazing. I remember taking the bike to college the years 98-02 (well alot of times i did that) and had this stuff on repeat. This is how I discovered MFG to begin with, as the track Sunshine from Nintrance made me go and visit the Genesis CD.

Would have really loved to see them create more music together as their sounds incorporates so well. 

Oh yes indeed, and what a track it is. :) What I mean though is of course that these tracks were made prior to the shift in MFG's style. I would have loved to hear how their later/darker style would have sounded in a collab. Btw offtopic, but the track name "The Sleeper Must Awake" another Dune reference. ;) Btw pt: 2 MFG-To Eternity from that same VA on which I first heard the Sleeper Must Awake is also stellar. The doubling of the main melody in the final part is incredible.

2 hours ago, Paul Eye said:

Since when has the PsyNina album been considered a "classic" in any other way than "a case of epic trolling"? :DD  

She might not be widely aknowledged and a bit controversial, but she is the sexy secret of the Psy scene. :lol: Undoubtedly a legend of sorts. A true classic even some people claim.

Sometimes there can a be a thin line between art projects and trolling. A bit like Banksy. Whatever the case was with Psynina, the person behind the project seemed to have known how to manipulate a market, which was ready to embrace the creation.

I think this approach is far more common in other genres. And no one would have cared if it was a Pop, RnB or a Hip Hop project. Ghost producers are common. How common they are in Psy today I don’t know. :) Perhaps the Psynina project was ahead of the times?

23 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

She might not be widely aknowledged and a bit controversial, but she is the sexy secret of the Psy scene. :lol: Undoubtedly a legend of sorts. A true classic even some people claim.

Sometimes there can a be a thin line between art projects and trolling. A bit like Banksy. Whatever the case was with Psynina, the person behind the project seemed to have known how to manipulate a market, which was ready to embrace the creation.

I think this approach is far more common in other genres. And no one would have cared if it was a Pop, RnB or a Hip Hop project. Ghost producers are common. How common they are in Psy today I don’t know. :) Perhaps the Psynina project was ahead of the times?

Well, considering who is behind the project, I see no reason to defend him in any way. Does the name Thomas Vitali ring a bell?

And the less pop industry influence this scene has, the better. All the garbage pop-fullon is already bad enough as it is (but then again, it's not really "psytrance" anymore anyway).