2. Dreams By Dragonfly
3. Evolution Of Steam
4. Paper Planes
5. Hive Mind
6. Waverider
7. Luna Vision
8. Linear Thoughts
9. Invitation To The Mad House

Learn about as much about Australia as you do about 13th Star's first full release. 

13 Star is Courtney Haynes, an Australian electronic musician who dabbles across genres. This is his first psytrance release with some hints of goa scattered around. Some great standout tracks and proper energetic stompers throughout. With some electrifying rhythms to boot. 

https://www.serpentsound.com/store/p/closer-to-god-album

I got so many questions now. First of all the music at the end of your review video sounded great. And the samples at the artist's URL sounds pretty good as well! Is this a known artist at all there down under in Oozieland? Live or othervice. Why did he choose to do it like this, a URL and Page hosting like that usually costs more than it gives back .. I for one can not afford to buy his album.. now. Besides, 14.99 price offends me. Why not just have it be 15 or 14.5 for that matter. Is that Hebrew on the wall of the coverart? If Serpent Sound is his label (?) then it's not that much a self-release as it is a label release, rights, or wrong? PS: Nice little summary you have here written about the album before your video review:) .. Your video mentions Courtney Haynes (thank gud for subtitles..), is this him?: Hey you said he has his fingers in all kind of kangaroo pouches? I can not see him on i.e. Discogs.com .. Man, now I really wan't a cold Foster beer. Btw. is that foster cereal on the shelf at the beginning of your video!? 13th Star, 13th Floor, Friday The 13th, 13th Warrior .. And you made 23 videos incl. this! wowsy.

10 hours ago, psytones said:

I got so many questions now. First of all the music at the end of your review video sounded great. And the samples at the artist's URL sounds pretty good as well! Is this a known artist at all there down under in Oozieland? Live or othervice. Why did he choose to do it like this, a URL and Page hosting like that usually costs more than it gives back .. I for one can not afford to buy his album.. now. Besides, 14.99 price offends me. Why not just have it be 15 or 14.5 for that matter. Is that Hebrew on the wall of the coverart? If Serpent Sound is his label (?) then it's not that much a self-release as it is a label release, rights, or wrong? PS: Nice little summary you have here written about the album before your video review:) .. Your video mentions Courtney Haynes (thank gud for subtitles..), is this him?: Hey you said he has his fingers in all kind of kangaroo pouches? I can not see him on i.e. Discogs.com .. Man, now I really wan't a cold Foster beer. Btw. is that foster cereal on the shelf at the beginning of your video!? 13th Star, 13th Floor, Friday The 13th, 13th Warrior .. And you made 23 videos incl. this! wowsy.

Oh woah I created more questions than I answered. 

Courtney Haynes is the creator of the project. he runs Serpent Sound which is kind of a label under which he has a few projects? He has a project called Absolum and a few others. He well known in the scene but under his real name. I think his projects are still a little new to everyone. 

'Fingers in all sorts of pies' is kind of a way of saying he is involved in lots of things. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the album artwork had some Hebrew or religious connotation in the writing on the wall.

I agree the release method and album hosting might be a little defeating, but he seems to have a plan and vision for his work and this is part of it.

And most importantly it was a fosters 6 pack cardboard case :P :blink: :P 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 11:04 PM, psytones said:

Hey guys,

Courtney here (the dude behind this project).

Firstly, thanks so much to Tsotsi for the review. I saw the analytics on my website and saw psynews as a referral to then come and discover this thread!

To answer the questions posed:

I am not a known artist at all (by my standards anyway). I chose to build a website to host all of my projects (Psytrance/goa/trance, Hip-hop, and experimental stuff).

It definitely isn't cost effective but I've spent much more money on audio equipment anyway which hasn't seen a return :D. I have a long plan for the serpentsound project. It's not necessarily a label but more of a collective which will aim to include other artists and other forms of arts at a later stage. 

The album has been available on Beatport, Amazon, Itunes etc since I released it, however I put stress on purchasing from my website as the funds come directly to me and less through a million middlemen. It was more tailored to close friends that supported me and instead of just donating, they get something out of it too (the album in this case). The album price is now $12 on the website and I think it's the same across all platforms. It's avail to stream on most platforms too :D

That is Hebrew on the album cover. I'm not Jewish or Israeli but I'm fond of the Goa trance/psy scene over there. 

יֵשׁוּעַ - Yeshua (Jesus)
שְׁמַע - Shema (Hear)
דָּבָר - Dabar (Word/speak)

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

The impressions here got me curious, I’ll take a listen. :) What is the backstory on the angelic-looking symbol/logo? It holds something. Looks cool whatever it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:42 PM, AstralSphinx said:

The impressions here got me curious, I’ll take a listen. :) What is the backstory on the angelic-looking symbol/logo? It holds something. Looks cool whatever it is.

Thanks for the interest! I drew the angel a while ago - a few years before I even started this project. It holds a staff with a magnifying glass at the top. I see it as an observer of the universe (the little dot). It also holds some personal meaning which would be difficult to put into words. I called the project 13th Star because I want it to represent a star sign that is an embodiment of all 12 star signs. Essentially meaning that I hope it can be the bridge between all personalities, perspectives, and individual experiences.  

mpCTEpi.png

tTfvB7f.jpg