algorithm predicting good tracks...

RTP

I just have a YouTube generated playlist going which served me two monsters of a track right after another, that I honestly confess to not have known before, but daaaamn they are good...

...I mean see for yourself:

grafik.png

Ulrich Schnauss ... daaamn awesome ... and that Tripswitch Remix of "Water From A Vine Leaf", absolutely great...
...by the way, the subsequent track after these two is Vibrasphere - Erosion ... also brilliant, but I knew that one before :)

...the oddity about it being, however, that I started off with a band that is not directly related to these supertracks in my opinion (QNTAL ... more Goth than anything else =) ... as you can see ... so apparently these tracks were linked by the algorithm with me previously giving the right input...

...which is cool, because it gives each and every click on YouTube that I did before more meaning, more depth...

...but that also made me think further:

I believe there is a key that you can feed the algorithm so that it creates the most blissful, most perfect damn insane top-of-the-world playlist, custom forged for you individually.
The key consists of a series of tracks you have to search for and listen, giving them a like.
But it goes way beyond the good old "people who have listened to this track also liked..." method. This method usually delivers pure garbage in my case, I am a very special character (no offense to anybody else - I actually mean this in a bad way) and it has let me down so many times...
...but when the algorithm gets more and more material from me, it can craft more and more special things, diving down into these small backalleys of genre border areas where I like to roam about and then, when it has roamed there enough, boom! there it is, the perfect combination.
It can be a long key and it can take years until it is complete. But with every interaction with the system, bits of this key are confirmed true or false...
The cool thing about this is: every human being in this world has such a key.
And it feels right now if QNTAL were the last missing part to mine :)

By this rule, cases like this should continue to become more common. Or not? What do you think?

It also has made me think of a story. I have this idea for a story about this machine - or complex of machines - that gather information in this way, ultimately becoming so powerful they can find out these keys for each and every human being...
However, I don't really know what to do with the story when all keys are known. What then?
Or is this not a story, but reality? :unsure:

Interesting theories regarding one of the probably smartest algorithms out there. Certainly when compared to the crap that instagram, tries to feed one, despite what one follows/likes there. :)

Youtube on the other hand strikes a perfect balance IMO. My experience with their algos in terms of these things is that the more you trim it and really delete stuff from your browsing history that you might’ve watched on impulse. And also actively click on ”don’t recommend this channel” etc until it truly feels like a fully customized experience. 

The benefit here of course is that their tracking takes place outside of the youtube app itself, as well. So I imagine their algos have collected what you’ve searched for on google regarding discogs and what not. The Vibrasphere entry for example, perhaps indexed from discussions you’ve had regarding stuff like that here on Psynews even? :D So they have a broad range of your metrics by now for sure.

I’m super fascinated with all things AI/Algorithms/Machine Learning etc.

One of the better/snappiest/fastest algos out there as well is TikTok’s, too bad it’s in the hands of a totalitarian regime. :P I compared the TikTok algos closely with Instagram and fed the two the exact same type of hashtags that I wanted to follow, as well as roughly searching/following the same type of content creators. Altough the comparison is a bit skewed by the fact that there is a lot of stuff on instagram regarding the subjects I was interested in, which are not as present on TikTok. Mainly due to age demographics and differences between the two apps.

But anyhow TikTok’s algos gave a more immediate result which aligned with what I fed the algos. Instagram on the other hand gave a  much less personal result. With a weighting towards curated/promoted content which I had no interest in.

What’s your opinion on Spotify’s algos? Do you use Spotify? And if so what do you think about the ”radio function” that every track have there, which is basically an algorithmically powered playlist featuring tracks which share some common denominators. Almost like a musical DNA-matching. :)

Wow, respect - I can not compare algorithms, I am not on TikTok or on Insta. Also not on Spotify. YouTube is actually my only home for consuming content in masses ... and amazon, because of some exclusives...

Youtube knows me quite well, if you counted all the man hours that went into me feeding that machine while searching for obscure music videos and whatnot, you'd be a pretty rich man...

... it would be cool if that history or "key of preferences" was interchangeable between platforms, I must say ... then I don't have to wade through loads of crap when going on a non-native platform...
...but what am I saying. That would be the total surveillance of internet activity, wouldn't it - and I am not a fan of that, actually. Plus it makes people quite vulnerable to manipulation, doesn't it? :)

...preaching to drink water and drinking wine doesn't go well together, eh?

However, blockchain could help that the data at least is not tampered with while being openly accessible ... that would be okay as long as the match between key and human behind is not feasible, because that would not be to my liking. Just imagine my boss or an institution asking me about this track "Sludgy Heads found in a Handbag" by Megaptera that I listened to AGES ago ... "strange fascinations or violent tencdencies much?" :P

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not bad the idea with the blockchain protocol. Like some sort of firewall, shielding the sensitive data from beeing directly tied to a user. The main issue is how the separate the two I think. In terms of the platform providers always saving some identifying data such as IP, geographical data etc. 

And yeah I agree ufortunately all these convenient aspects many of us surely appreciate, come coupled with the associated integrity issues. It’s a double-edged sword. :) 

I think it can't be separated, unfortunately. They all will keep too many dirty data. And that's that. Blockchain can be used though to make the format interchangeable. You click a link on TikTok - block added to your chain, which also YouTube can see... ^_^

But there's one major good about these things: I can evaluate by YouTube suggestions that people get if they are compatible with me or not...

...my best friend for example -- whoa, he had a lot of identical recommendations even though he only rarely ever listens to psytrance. Stunning to see that!

Better indication than Parship or any of these matching algos :P

That's advice for you right there, dear reader. Avoid divorce by checking YouTube suggestions of your spouse before marriage :D

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...