What are the rarest tracks you own?

I was thinking, do any of you collect CDs only for the "rare" value, or is it only about having the music on CD?

Are re-release worth less to you?

202681[/snapback]

This depends on the type of collector - personally I consider myself a completist, meaning that I have this utopian dream of one day owning every goa trance release ever made. In this endless quest I value original releases higher than re-issues.

However, I'm also a DJ and as such I would rather have the re-issue than not having a track at all. I can't play what I don't have... and while completist collectionism makes you end up with a fair amount of crap records, I *do* listen to them all. I have this policy of never putting a record in the shelf before I've played it through from start to finish at least once (which makes my girlfriend roll her eyes ;-). There are collectors who don't do this.

When I go record hunting, which is pretty much a daily activity, I usually go for a rare but musically mediocre release before I go for one that can easily be found and is enjoyable listening to. This is because the rare one might not show up again in months or even years, so better to take the chance while it's there. I didn't always have this prioritization though, and as a consequence I missed some very nice opportunities. This I regret, so I'm trying to focus on the rarities now. Hence my fairly nice (but by no means huge) collection of super-limited vinyl mentioned in a previous post to this thread, for example. I also have that SFX cd that Kai-Q recently posted about as well as some more records that are almost unheard of.

Oh, and what DeathPosture said =) It's almost a bit of sport hunting these original rarities down. It's odd, but record collecting gives me a sort of smooth rush... I guess its my drug.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what about me then? It doesn't matter. As long as I have the music and have paid for it, I feel complete.

I'm like you, just a bit less so, as I really like buying all possible CDs and completing my collection, but the release date doesn't matter the least.

P.S.: There is also a strange comp-like album in my collection named X-Plore Sybernetic Concept "Finger's Memories".

203402[/snapback]

WOW! I didn't know there was a full Odds album... I have the 12" on X-Plore but I thought that was the only release of this label... thanks for this tip, I'll try to dig this up for sure =)

There's a coloured vinyl version of The Lone Deranger too, but I don't know much about it. I think it was purple/pink, and it was refered to as the "evil vinyl" at the label. This may well have been some sort of picture disc, I'm not sure. I think they made 100 copies of that version.

202664[/snapback]

Hi, Well Iu have the The lone deranger, with gold and pink sprinkles... I think there is 100 copies of this... but i may have wrong ?

Hi, Well Iu have the The lone deranger, with gold and pink sprinkles... I think there is 100 copies of this... but i may have wrong ?

203541[/snapback]

That would be the one, yes. You lucky bastard =)

I also have that CD, got it from Psyshop about a month ago. I think we talked about this in another thread. Don't know if this one is really so rare or not.

just wondering how rare the Colorbox album is, I've never seen it around since I bought it back in the days  :blink:

202012[/snapback]

Hey X-scream.

I am not 100% sure how many copied of our album that was made but I know that Hypnotic only made one batch. Or so they told us. I think around 500 ?

But don't know for sure :-)