3 - Dreamland
4 - Solar Warden
5 - Unidentified
6 - Summer Storm
7 - Open Your Eyes
8 - Secret Space
9 - The Divine Plan
10 - Wisdom bringers

First he went Back To Space, and now he comes From The Stars. Feast on your feelings and get in touch with your innards as Artifact303 comes to help us feel joy again.

https://globalsect.bandcamp.com/album/artifact303-from-the-stars

https://globalsect.bandcamp.com/album/artifact303-from-the-stars

• Thanks 3

Secret space is contender for track of the year. Serious insane power. It's very similar to Levitation Device on VA People Walk Funny. Really pleiadean climaxing.

Unidentified, Astral Traveler, Open Your Eyes and Summer Storm are all fantastic, varied and interesting tracks. The Divine Plan is like sequel to Tropical Paradise, which is also pretty good. I did not care for Apex, Solar Warden and Dreamland very much at all. They were a little too uplifting, monotone and had really trancy melodies. Apex in particular becomes quite cheesy in it's 2nd half. The last downtempo track was just meh, would have preferred another track like Delirium from the first album, sending the listener into a voyage.

Although the album doesn't bring anything new to the table, it's still absolutely fantastic summer music and overall a worthy sequel that that extends A303 library with a lot of great tracks. Recommended.

• Like 2

Apex goes to some strange territory in the end. But the first part.. 

Secret space starts kind of amazingly. 

But when the kick and bass drops all I can hear is software sound. I wish I didn't. But, that's just my opinion. Don't be mad. :)

The music sounds pretty much similar to his other stuff, except I think this album is a bit softer and more easy to listen to than Back to space, but in this case i don't think that's a great thing. 

Back to space has a different, more cocky and near perfect sound, and the music is easily as good as this.. 

So I suppose I'm just a bit disappointed. But, nonetheless its a good album that I hope many other people will like. It's a great intro to new school goa trance. Sad just that it's not more an outro. 

I half expected him to be like "ok guys. This is what you want. New school goa is over. This is the finale." 

Again, don't be mad just my opinion. 3.5/5

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

Please tell me the last Great Newschool Album...what was it? how much time passes since? Why you loved it? Was it truly better than From the Stars?

the last "Great" was Filteria - Daze of our lives. I loved every part of it. Sound and production, music, and how it creates something new and interesting.

Theres tons of very good albums after that, but thats still the best so far I think.

• Like 1

As reviews are always personal and people's view can differ, I always look to the score on discogs to see which albums are great and which ones are not. Mostly you have so many ratings it gives a nice "average". When you look at these ratings, Artifact has not such a good score, and at this point Fiery Dawn and Median Project get higher ratings for example. As for new school, for now, the latest Khetzal even has 4.8/5.

Anyway, I am still waiting for the cd (did you guys get it already?) to listen :D  Too old school I guess? :D I'm very curious tho 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Would be interesting to know in  what time frame the tracks on this album were made. If they are all newly made quite recently or from different years? :) Sometimes artists revisit older track ideas/tracks and rework them to their current standards etc. 

Just on a brief listening on bandcamp in the low preview quality there I can’t really comment yet on the finer aspects/details of the album. But I will when time is due. :) The first impression is that his last album had a clear Suntrip flair to it. I think variation is good, albums should always strive to tell something new/show a new angle or stylistic exploration. The album on Suntrip was killer though, so the bar is set quite high in space. :D Not easy competing with yourself I suppose. The last album was clearly very influenced by Pleiadians/Etnica and Filteria. And Mindsphere’s albums on Suntrip also had some of that alien DNA.

Btw Speaking of Suntrip and the Pleiadic style often associated with the label, is there any new school Goa anyone could recommend which is more inspired by Dimension 5? I think Artifact303 could make some really cool cosmic tracks in that domain.

I think Artifact303 had a lot to prove with his debut album, with the fierce competition provided by the other artists on the Suntrip label. And also of course by the classical albums in the Goa pantheon. Artifact303 made a big impact during the first Goa Trance revival in the 00’s. With a promising take on what the new Goa wave would encompass. Today the scene looks a bit different, there are many more artists exploring the style. There are youtube tutorials and overall the style is a bit more accessible for aspiring artists. So it was really amazing seeing/hearing what Artifact303 did back then. His new music needs to be contrasted not only to the old school goa, but also with the first neo goa wave and with the current Goa Trance scene. For a broader and more complex perspective. Giving us an ample opportunity to see in what direction this style is going in the future.

This new Artifact303 album reminds me and puts GlobalSect on the Goa map for me. Since I’ve missed out/been absent from the Goa scene for many years, and not heard anything from GlobalSect until this release. So good work Russia! What are the other essential Goa releases from this label?

• Sad 1

Lord mercy, I think this Arty303 is a super nice talent that shows a great deal of Goatrance perspective pleasent to the ears and mind capible of lifting the spiritual body up back to the Stars. I own his Debut album and have enjoyed it a few times but never managed to wore the CD out.. I was thinking about buying the new album that this review thread should be about:) *but I decided to save my money for smth else that is more my tru taste.

Now, back to the space of ARTIFACT303's FROM THE STARS album:

1. Nice, sweet swirls, the thumps are ok to quality. Sounds are classic and polished. Emotions are intact. Arms in air cheese makes the arm pits become refreshed. It defo has a taste of classic euforical trance anthem going on with a psychedelic goatrance twist! 
2. Kickbass are solid and quality but also annoying neighbour complaining *dunk dunk*. The theme and leads are cute but also full of classic cheese with a sinsair twist. The cheese is strong with this one. A bit too much of mdma vibed, and it paints a dangoures picture of stumock wrenching progress to the album, that it will be overlly cheesy throughout. Some nice key change turns to be found and the seretoni level rises yet being unsure of to feel nausea or not. But also, it feels safe, where you can allow yourself the sailing on the stars made of cows teat fat. Either you love it, accept it, or you can noty stommack it.
3. Kickbass more Goatrance like now, and some astral projection elements levitates the track forward.. The kicks are again quality but also annoying (my taste my review). Now, I donno, it feels honorable to the old classics of Goa Trance. But also stail. For sure this album is full of Classic Trance anthems with Goa Trance in mind. I donno, if I was wasted out of my mind and needing some kind of safe haven (or something to make me puke, like with Ayahuasca or Kambo), I would trust this album to do it's task and lead me on. I have trust in it no matter what, and the producer is clearly skilled. Track has some nice layers as it evolves sounding both old and new in one go. It's simple, and a bit complex. It houners, and it discards. No matter, it has soul.
4. Knowing that this music, this album is not for me and my personal taste, it's a challange to keep on, to stay with it and listen, even though i accept it and appreciate what is. This track rises the level and catapulls me into a more cool stellar journey being more energy impactful. The attitude is more cool and flairing - but there is no hiding the grinding cheese. 
5. Things are turning more serious now, .. And I'm happy the album and my review is soon done. nana nana nana *oh no, i just realized the album has 10 tracks not 7. Luckely this track rises the level as it nicelly progresses and the dance in my body is starting to get triggerd, ehich is super important for me and my listening experience.
6. Woooh! Ending of the previous track sure saved the day. And the intro of this track sounds really good, tho the kickbass thing still annoys me even tho it sounds quality for what it is. Energy level is at a nice platou, and I even feel some groove catching on. Boarderlining cheese but still very nice in ways. Only 4 tracks to go and this From The Stars journey is over and not to be revisited any time soon. Again, for what it is, it's quality. For what it is not, it's terrible. Tastes are like the ass, divided, and usually they stink. This is a cool track and tripped I do enjoy some of the effects used.My head is even starting to dig the phase and rythm of killa synths, whcih uis a good sign. Headbopping?
7.  Continues the cooler stellar travelling path, and I'm uber glad the uber cheese is way behind and that the light in the end of the coulerful and euforic tunnel is soon near and there for, dear. I guess the artwork actually reflects this album nicelly. When i can not stand the music, the producer turns around and wins me over.. Good. Great ending progression to the track
8. Here the air becomes nicer and quality remains with delight and a super tranced out journey. Uhlala, i like . Maybe a bit traditional and typical, but it works great. Feels like the albums first half stared out real heavy on the cheese, only to work it off in to lighter space, tho still weighty on the quality and this track for reasons is one of my favorite tracks on the album. Fhju, nice nice.
9. After the amazing star filled journey of the last track, this track brings it down for some breathing and progression. Nice tempo, feels almost mellow but stable and I like the thumps of the quality kbb a lot. The track makes me smile and where much of the album feels kind of juvinile, this track comes off as more mature. When the main lead enteres it's still nice but I fall off the wagon a little bit. A lot to all of this album smells like old and stail classic intervowen with modern quality and complexity. The kbb impresses me less as the track evolves. Only 1 more track to go before it's over. Will it have a fat lady singing? hey, and then enteres a female divine humming, and eventually, a nice speaking sample. And then the progression actually kicks it up a notch hightening for me the level of the track. and then it falls a little again.. anan nana nan a *yawn* -- Note: I am not listening to it with FULL attention so maybe under all the bad lays a lot of good, textures and whatnot that really reviele the magic of the album. 
10. Finally, the end is near. And nice enough and defo most suiting as the album has a respectful storytelling flow. A chilled track, downbeat. Sounds nice enough:) But I'm gonna skip it and leave the album be. Thanks for the pleasure, and don't mention the miscontempt. Before I reached the stop button, some are u shpongled lines enetred, and it aint bad. *Stop.

Overall: It has nice progression of storytelling and flow, where it takes you on a true conceptial journey trip. Cheesy and anthemy at most times and always with a true sense of psychedelic (...) goa twist. A lot of euforia that can both be wonderful and sickening. For me the album is quality on top of not quality on top of what was and is. I guess I'll give it a 7 out of 10

Cleaned up the trash. Sorry if anything meaningful went with it, but I didn't feel, that it would do the topic much good if I left it here...

Thanks for pointing it out.

5 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

And back to topic thanks for making these video reviews Tsotsi! They are very good. :D:+1:

This exactly :)

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you, good job. 

For not be off topic my favorite 3 tracks from album:

- Solar Warden - just killer morning sound
- Unidentified - very strange alien track. It looks like classic modern goa but when i hear synths with deep attention it looks like very experimental sound imo. I very want test it on dancefloor. 
-  Secret Space - i understand why some guys very like it and some dont like. Its just special cosmic style of goa (my favorite).

All other tracks cool too, i think this music not classic goa in many moments, but level of Artifact303 skill very high and i enjoy all tracks.

It was very interestring and long adventure work with this album. I hope we will continue work with Zsolt in future.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This album is amazing!
Deep, Euphoric, Uplifting, Psychedelic.
Each track of this album is exclusive and attractive, mesmerizing into its own world.
Listening to this album, you can experience the state of euphoria of paradise places, you can  feel  levitating in a dance , you can experience the state of contemplation of the UFO phenomenon, and also go on an intergalactic journey.
The artist perfectly conveyed the concept in the atmosphere of music.
This album can be described as  harmony of technology and spirit.

Thank you Zsolt Peter & GS Music

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

Trivia. The track the divine plan. 

It's a beautiful track. It samples a lady, that was also sampled for Lost Tribe - Gamemaster. 

Really cool. 

Here's the original sample. 

Nice find :) 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 8:20 PM, psytones said:

Now, back to the space of ARTIFACT303's FROM THE STARS album:

BRB short review coming up: -- is Bandcamp down? 

I believe we were all promised a review ;)

1 hour ago, Tsotsi said:

I believe we were all promised a review ;)

:D jah man coming up ive just been too busy pimpin', and hiking mountains with my dog. Speaking of your point, same goes for the Suntrip 50th release And the Aion name copyright info-dilemma. *my head is on it*. Anyway, way the go filling this review topic even more up with unrelated text to the music. When I do make the short review I hope you'll edit yours here and have it say (to the Admin) DELETE ME. I'll do the same. Ps. Notice how i removed my offtopic stuff from my originaø post? .. Btw. My heart hurts reading how much astralprotrction apologiezed for writing His honest opinion review of the album. He should not have to so strongly apologize for it .. Which reminds me of my saying, "tastes are like asses, they are divided and usually they stink". 

22 minutes ago, psytones said:

Anyway, way the go filling this review topic even more up with unrelated text to the music. When I do make the short review I hope you'll edit yours here and have it say (to the Admin) DELETE ME.

Cheers man, i'm just playing around, write a review, don't write a review, life's busy and it aint easy pimpin' ;)

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:13 PM, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

if you fuck around with me jou just make me agressive...be nice, be loving!

If you wanna discuss whatever topic we can do that in the OT section. ;) 

Regarding this album I still haven’t got around listening to it yet. From the reactions so far it seems promising! 

There seem to be an interesting mix of flavours according to what I can gather from the impressions here so far. Morning stuff, cosmic stuff and more trancey/classic tunes as well?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The second Goa album from Artifact 303 piqued my interest as I enjoyed the first album, so here's my review after quite a few listens. 

When I first got "Back to Space" back in 2011, I was initially underwhelmed. It seemed not to be the best of both worlds, but to fall between two stools. On the one hand, it had the manic, sometimes indigestible, layerism of nu skool Goa that throws everything including the kitchen sink at the listener. On the other hand, it seemed to be a fairly straightforward copy of Astral Projection that wasn't original enough to justify its existence. So ran my initial thoughts. But over time, "Back to Space" sank into my consciousness and I started to enjoy it for its delicate melodies. It does have the weakness of a certain breathless quality that would benefit from pruning the endless pretty layers and more attention to spacing and pacing, but there are some great melodies on that album. 

10 years later and Peter Zsolt brings us another Goa artifact: "From the Stars". One thing is for sure, his basic template has not changed at all: this is still highly layeristic nu skool with a strong Astral Projection type melodic flavour. This brings both the joy in some fantastic melodies, and the limitation of a certain relentless breathlessness and prettiness, at least to this listener. What is a bit new is that there is a bit more full-on dancefloor influence on the sounds, especially early on in the album, and the album as a whole is less spacey as a result. Moreover, this album reminded me less of Astral Projection than the first; this new record reminded me of Oforia.

For me, the album doesn't start that well. I find "Apex" is a bit too nitzhonot for me, especially in the main melody and then the modulation of that melody that plays from the 5.20 point. All a bit too hands in the air ravey for me. 

"Astral Traveler" goes a bit deeper with more complex modulations of the main melody, though that main melody is again fairly cheesy and some of the synth stabs sound a bit predictably 80s. It sent me to Laughing Buddha's 1998 "Astral Traveller" track, but I am not too sure there is an obvious influence (I much preferred the altogether tougher psychedelia of Laughing Buddha btw). 

"Dreamland" starts better for me with a kinetic, bouncy rhythm section and then when the melodies kick in they are a bit lower in frequency and more swirly - nice deeper track than the first two (and I can't help but think of the great Asia 2001 album which has the same title). 

"Solar Warden"  has strong claims to be the best track on the album, going a bit more acidic and darker than the earlier tracks and gaining some heft and gravitas in the process. I like this track which has some super cool unpredictable transitions, like the staggered sounds at 4.30. 

"Unidentified" keeps up the trajectory into slightly harder sounds and has a gorgeous weirdo forest-style melody at 2.15 with all the mystery and intrigue that one might find in Battle of the Future Buddhas, for instance. Really cool background drones towards the end of this track. Another good track, though I think it might have done more with that forest melody!

With "Summer Storm" Artifact 303 continues the journey towards darker sounds - the album is quite carefully structured in that way. Nice sawing bass synths with a grinding quality at the start of the track. I'm not too convinced by the main melody at the 5.30 mark as it has a bit of old school hard house flavour - hard to describe - a certain hysteria that can grate in the wrong mood. I'm being over-picky here as I like this track, but I also don't like the vocal repeating "summer storm" towards the end. 

"Open Your Eyes" has an excellent rhythm section with really nice climbing and angular melodies, especially the main one at the 5 minute mark and onwards. I like this track almost as much as "Solar Warden". 

"Secret Space" is a kinda subdued, almost interior, track. However, it builds gradually and imperceptibly towards a helluva melodic climax that is truly psychedelic and trippy. I like this one. 

"The Divine Plan" heads back into more chintzy, uplifting territory. The sample works for me and helps lift the track into an overtly cosmic dimension. Lots of background noises, drones, swooshes and plinky plonks to dig into here. Yeah, I like this one too as it stays just this side of cheesy. 

"Wisdom Bringers" is the obligatory chill out track at the end of the album. This one goes way too plasticky for me with the synth sounds chosen for the main melody. I found this a weak psychill track. 

So for me this album does not start out so well with too much full-on psytrance/nitzho flavour for my tastes. Luckily it improves after this and is carefully and tastefully structured after track two. For me, "Solar Warden" is the track, though I enjoyed "Unidentified", "Open Your Eyes", "Secret Space" and "The Divine Plan" almost as much. I don't think this album is as good as the first one, primarily due to an occasionally malfunctional quality control filter, but it has some very good tracks. I kinda feel that the next album will be make or break for Artifact 303. More experimentalism away from the dancefloor will be key in my view. ~*~ 

• Like 2

Artifact303's debut album has been a long time nr. 1 in my list of all time goa albums. But this second one might take the spot now.
Initially I wanted to compare both albums, but this has no use whatsoever.
From The Stars is faster, more energetic, more aggressive, just more in-your-face. A different approach.
All tracks have a pumping energy and a spiral/tunnel-like vibe that draws you into the music of each track. That's an effort only the best achieve.

I simply love this album! Artifact303 remains the king. Hail to the king! B)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

jdqcve9c47z61.jpeg.86477bb3b73fb31e8ac1fd295ac72249.jpeg

Well I don't mean to crash the party but I'm less impressed with this album, and I'm not going to hesitate to point out what I think is great (and not great) about it. I agree there's some great (excellent / superb) work, and I'd never call this a bad or average album. Almost any track will work on dance floors, though some are much stronger than others and I say keep to your winning horses. Let go of the routine and capitalize on your greatest marbles! That's what establishes super albums and I often intend my reviews to double as feedback, though like you all I'm sharing my honest, open thoughts. That said--

1.  Apex begins with a digitized synth, and a plesent albeit simplistic in structure and arrangement Goa sound that is easily topped, thanks to a superior synth at 1:48 >>> my favourite part. So far, so good... that is until 2:55 where the track gets repetitive. An interlude soon arrives, igniting the second albeit repetitive synthetic part, and it's here that the music grows conventional, inspired. The music improves at 5:00 but just for a moment until the artist transitions the music one final time.. It's not the change I was hoping. I'd describe the next 3-4 minutes as a Full On Club Trance. Ahhhh!!!!! It's so TYPICAL sounding and completely takes me out of the song. Actually it's not until the FINAL MINUTE that a healthier balance of Goa and Trance return to the cool feel earlier in the fifth minute. This track could have been great, but it chooses to take an extremely LAXY, FORMULAIC approach. Apex starts promising before devolving into formulaic, typical-sounding Club Trance where it completely loses my interest.  C

2.  Astral Traveler is a big improvement from before. This track has a heart and soul that I didn't see at first, and is my wife's favourite song on the album due to the terrific ending! The first third is a bit similar sounding (predictable/routine arrangement >>> could have been better). The development into ACT 2 is very nice thanks to ambient notes, Goa elements, catchier synths, and more. Also, ACT 3 is incredibly euphoric, warm, and uplifting in a positive way! Improved sound/melody work, FEELS (!!!), multiple key changes providing storytelling and substance is just part of it. Although it took an ACT to warm up where we were going (ACT 1 could have been stronger in that regard), the song beautiful, well done! I find this so much more enjoyable and engaging than Apex, and sadly, the one track that follows.  B+ / A-

3.  Dreamland is typical and formulaic, routine sounding CLUB TRANCE (the fuck??!) with a touch of Goa so slight in the middle that I hardly cared for fear the last act would undue ACT 2 via Apex. The overall sound and direction here is so predictable, with a very been-there / done-that feel throughout. The song offers nothing new, as if the label requested a more commercial, by-the-numbers dance number. Just why??! This artist is so much more creative, intelligent, and talented than this! I can't help but feel the desperation to appeal to a wider audience, preferably not in a redundant way. People like fun, danceable tracks that don't sound like stereo typical Club Trance! I acknowledge the very catchy, little echoed beeping melody accent in the last minute. Where was that the whole time? Aside from that, Dreamland is generic, Full on Club Trance and the most commercial sounding track I've ever heard from Artifact303.  C-

4.  Solar Warden has some very catchy sound/melody (Goa-Trance) work in ACT 2. Unfortunately, the overall structure and arrangement of ACT 3 reverts back to a less pure Goa sound a la Trance-friendly motions. I wish the artist committed and further developed the purer, melody-licious tunes of ACT 2 into ACT 3.  B-

5. Unidentified stands out as a favorite to me. It has a smart, catchy tune that gets stuck in my head (so simple, works wonders!) and is wildly danceable. ACT 2 could have been stronger, more fun and memorable. It's not bad by any means, and I realize you don't want the lead to grow tiresome, but at least make ACT 2 more interesting and engaging (is my constructive feedback). The in-my-face main synth in the 4th into 5th minute felt routine, repetitive, and formulaic compared to everything else. Fortunately, the artist brings back the best part back with added growth and development in ACT 3, and I'm hooked all over again. Honestly ACT 2 could have been shorter (tighter in that sense) and ACT 3 with its wonderful growth and signature synth star return could have been meatier, a little longer, but what are you going to do? This is a strong Trancey dance number despite a weaker ACT 2. It's shows that-- however simple, one can make a fantastic track with the right sounds, mixing, and arrangement (ingredients). Well done!  A- A

6. Summer Storm begins fresh, zippy and quite Goa-esque! It reminds me of one of Artifact303's best tracks-- Leviathan Dance after the second minute. That nighttime sound is so sleek and sexy. Then at around 3:30 the music sounds juvenile with its sound effects and beat. Get that out of there and replace it with something powerful! The part that soon follows is far catchier and the Goa rhythm develops into something more intense, rhythmic, and psychedelic. Cue climactic lead and this is doing things right despite the somewhat simplistic arrangement. I like the edgy Goa sound in ACT 3, as it incorporates some of the sleek, sexy feel from ACT 1.  At this point I'm confused because this album can't seem to make up its mind with whether it wants to sound contrived, repetitive, and afraid to take risks, or create and develop greatness onto of greatness.  B+

7. Open Your Eyes is sleek. It covers less ground, with fewer ideas, ACT 1 grows too similar sounding to me despite it being fairly catchy in sound. A new technologic synth improves ACT 2 followed by more variety, though a more elegant/tasty synth could have complimented the more aggressive, rough synths, approach. The song climaxes towards the end with an energetic, strong synths, though again, I find the arrangement, sound selection and overall direction repetitive and lacking to what we've come to go-- WOW, that's catchy and different! This gets predictable towards the end (arrangement, complimentary elements-wise), but it'll certainly be effective on dance floors.  B

8. Secret Space starts great. Early on is exciting and the ambient notes convey feels, helping to flesh out a story. Although the excitement / ACT 1 seems to run out of steam, the song is pushed up by a healthy ACT 2 that develops the music. I can't predict where the music is going unlike numerous prior tracks and I love that, even if the artist repeats some elements with greater rhythm and complimentary ingredients, e.g., a Pleiadian synth that skips and is soon accentuated by clear, piano-esque notes, playing a distinct melody that enhances the complexity of the whole. For the album's emphasis on Trance-friendly style, this is a strong track!  B+ / A-

9. The Devine Plan is a fairly progressive, gentle, uplifting morning Trance number. The song is peaceful and the conscious aware samples attract me. Having said that, it's a bit formulaic, contrived sounding via sounds, arrangement, and overall direction. Still it's not bad but not as memorable as it could have been. ACT 3 is very nice, providing a warmer (euphoric) climax. The song's grown on me despite being fairly structurally/sound-wise predictable and risk-free like much of the album. I do appreciate the non-banger approach though after the previous four digits  B- / B

10. Wisdom Bringers is pleasant, harmless. It has a nice sound, beat, a touch of ethnic/world influence. The artist could have closed things with a stronger downtempo track, or one more akin to the Goa style more prevalent in BACK TO SPACE, but he took a risk here to include this, as it is unexpected and different-- and hey, at least he didn't put it in the middle of the album a la debut! The song isn't bad. It's not that memorable either and sounds like it would maybe be better suited on a downtempo compilation. Decent, fairly good overall. I believe he can make stronger, more imaginative, fun/entertaining down (and mid) tempo ones too that better compliment the stylistic vision of the album. That said, it's nice (I enjoy it more without the voices to be honest) and appreciate the slight Psy/Goa touches in the second half.  B-

COONCLUSION

An arguably solid album that is too formulaic (and/or Club Trancey-ish in sound, structure and arrangement at times while maintaining some strong Trance (and Goa influenced Trance) songs and elements, as well as a few super dance-floor bangers to boot. Though friendly for dance floors and almost entirely RISK-FREE, I miss the purer, punchier, less linear Goa approach that BACK TO SPACE had. I really loved the debut album despite some shortcomings-- its few weaker first half (Tracks 2, 3, 4). Similar to the debut, TO THE STARS improves in the second half, though its style, sound, and the way numerous songs are structured and composited (the overall direction) is definitely more mainstream friendly (and predictable sounding at times) for dance floors. There are things-- elements, melodies, moments- almost entire songs I really like/love here (praised above). There are Goa elements/Goa songs(!), and I simply wish the artist didn't limit his mind to more contrived structures, arrangements, and synths at times, as that reduces how expansive, imaginative, and well-- ground-breakingly CATCHY the album could have been while also being fun, danceable, and mainstream friendly! What we have is something good- sometimes great, and occasionally too rudimentary and routine (going through the motions) to my ears and mind. But there's greatness nonetheless including some of the best dance songs I've heard all yar. In the end, it's a bit of a mixed bag. I love strong songs and when I don't land on one, I get bored quick. But oh.. oh.. those moments and tracks I cannot deny. Give it a listen and decide for yourself.

HIGHLIGHTS:  2, 56, 8

B / B+

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I haven’t heard the album yet. But I did notice a couple of years ago when checking on spotify what new music Artifact303 had made. That he did indeed seem to have made some Full-On or perhaps Progressive tracks? So that could explain the fusion of styles you noticed on this album Jon Cocco? :)

I personally don’t mind people experimenting with styles. But can at the same time understand, that it might be not be everyone’s cup of tea. Certainly if one approaches this album, and expects it to be  more of a continuation of were Back To Space left of. I think some trancey elements can be a nice thing. I’ll come back with some reflections when I find the focus to listen through the album. 

On 7/26/2021 at 7:42 PM, Jon Cocco said:

Well I don't mean to crash the party but I'm less impressed with this album,

Hehe. :lol:

No problem. Some critical voices are missing here. ;) As I said before i am not a big fan of the current goa, maybe since the second album of Median Project.

A big benefit goes to the great production quality, mixdown sounds very clean. But maybe at the end it can be the problem, that its sound to perfect, to digital, i think. And at the end with the formualic, generic melodies it bores me. Musically, it doesn't bother me at all. It seems Goa nowaday is reduced of cliche and typical elements.

What do you mean with club trance? Uplifting trance? Talla 2XLC? :lol:
The closeness to psytrance and fullon is right, i think. Both i dont like (anymore).

On 7/27/2021 at 1:03 AM, AstralSphinx said:

That he did indeed seem to have made some Full-On or perhaps Progressive tracks? So that could explain the fusion of styles you noticed on this album Jon Cocco?

Instead of experiment with elements of Progressive and Full On its for me more interessting to experiment with genres outside of the psy scene: techno, breaks, house and so on. :)

On 7/29/2021 at 11:55 PM, GhostOnAcid said:

Hehe. :lol:

No problem. Some critical voices are missing here. ;) As I said before i am not a big fan of the current goa, maybe since the second album of Median Project.

A big benefit goes to the great production quality, mixdown sounds very clean. But maybe at the end it can be the problem, that its sound to perfect, to digital, i think. And at the end with the formualic, generic melodies it bores me. Musically, it doesn't bother me at all. It seems Goa nowaday is reduced of cliche and typical elements.

What do you mean with club trance? Uplifting trance? Talla 2XLC? :lol:
The closeness to psytrance and fullon is right, i think. Both i dont like (anymore).

Instead of experiment with elements of Progressive and Full On its for me more interessting to experiment with genres outside of the psy scene: techno, breaks, house and so on. :)

Well it’s a cycle that repeats, for some artists. We can compare with Astral Projection as a good example, since they have touch points with Artifact303 stylewise. They went from Goa Trance to more of a Full-On vibe. And then probably back again. There are other variants as well, people who made Goa, and will not produce it again. 

And as you mention, there are countless of styles and genres to explore. There’s no need to feel stuck in anything. :) 

Whatever the case on this album. I will always respect any artists creative integrity, to do whatever inspires them. One thing is certain, it must be difficult to satisfy what people want. If you’re stuck and don’t evolve stylewise, people will complain. If you deviate too much from your debut album. Well guess what. ;) 

And I expect that some Goa Trance artists will move onto Techno as well. That’s also full cycle, since it all began to some extent with Techno and Acid. When I listen a bit too much to Goa I get bored too. Happens every month, sometimes I don’t even listen to it for a year or something. But it’s always nice to come back with fresh ears. That’s what I think I will do with this album. :) 

Btw I like the track name: Solar Warden, it’s a nice piece of Ufology mythos/conspiracy theory.   I love that stuff. :D 

• 2 months later...

Listening now, Unidentfied is a really nice tune. Big like :D my kinda style, I like the pad hook. The bassline is playful and kinda funky. Especially good energy in the final section of this track, and also a slight euphoric aspect, while still maintaning a dark mood. Keep it mystic Artifact303! It reminds a bit of Levitation Device, but it's way better. Like a hybrid of Levitation Device and the euphoric aspects of Close Encounter from the previous album. 

Some other tracks do indeed have a bit of a Full-On edge, which is not my predilection, but atleast there is variation. Favs so far Solar Warden and Unidentified, they sound the most like his old album, which is a not a bad thing in this game. ;) Solar Warden has a modern and slight clubby edge to it. But not in a bad way, it's a bit like Groom Lake by Miranda and something more recent by Pleiadians perhaps. Above all it has plenty of energetic drive, this thing would smash any dance floor.

Try putting Close Encounter and Unidentified after eachother in a playlist and prepare for flight. And watch the earth turn into a small blue sphere, while you're catapulted out in space. At a velocity which will make time move slower. In no-time you'll be in another world.

• Like 1