a1700643451_10.jpg

Projects : JoYfull NaTives & Ohm Mind

Title : Maitreya Aum EP

Format : EP

Genre : Goa Trance

Label : Ohm Vibrations

Release date : 02/17/2021

Based on a true story...

I still remember the events of that day as if it was yesterday.

It was a beautiful summer morning and I had just taken place aboard the train. I leaned my back against the seat and in a moment of nostalgia, I took out my wallet and opened it. I always keep a picture of my daughter inside of my wallet. Since I divorced her mom, our relationships always had been... complicated, to say the least. But she was a big girl now, and she was getting married. I still couldn't believe that after two years of near silence, she sent me an invitation to the biggest day of her life.

17wallet1.jpg

She was living in Philadelphia and I was living in Boston. Since my car was under repair, I had to take the train, so I had chosen to travel with this company, the Maitreya Aum express. It was a two-step journey with a stop in the middle. There was the Ohm version that would take me from Boston to New York, and the Joyfull version that would take me from New York to Philadelphia. No big deal. And the pilots were personal friends of mine. Three pilots were sharing the locomotive's cab : Jérémy Cambon, also known as Ohm Mind, who was a fine Belgian man with a taste for acid, and a lovely couple of Portuguese citizens, Joana Osório and Nelson Conceição, who used to play together in jazz clubs under the name JoYfull NaTives. These guys were professionals. I knew I could trust them.

The train has started to move. Put in motion through a classical, yet very nice introduction that lasted for about 35 seconds, it started to move itself forward along the rail. I was finally going to see my daughter.

The heavy train was heading pleasantly to New York city. As it moved, it produced a flavoured newschool vibration and I was getting pictures all over my head. As I moved my gaze towards the window to look at the landscape passing by, I could see colourful multi-layered music made more delightful by a carefully chosen throat-singing sample that was neither too cliché nor too loud. As we passed by 02:38, i started tapping my left foot in rhythm. I was in a good mood, and I loved these kind of nervous Goa vibrations. My pleasure was only dimmed a little by a strange synth melody that started at around 02:54 and that i remember thinking that it was odd.

aab0418a021a2d28ae137a6c5b0785fb.gif

Anyway, it was now 03:33, and I was having a great time. At the thought of the upcoming wedding, I was feeling happy and younger. Everything was going to be OK. But then, at 04:27, I heard it again, but louder : the weird synth melody. An ominous vibration ran accross the train, and for about a minute, something felt wrong. The other passengers seemed to have felt it was well. It was at the moment that a voice arose : "Tickets please !".

As I handed my ticket to the middle-aged train inspector, I couldn't prevent myself from asking if that shaking was normal.

"Yes it is, Sir. Do not worry. It is just a psychedelic synth melody. Nothing unusual when it comes to Goa trance." I started to feel reassured, and as the track went on, the eerie feeling that had been dwelling in my stomach for a few minutes started to dissipate. It was now 07:00, and the song was blasting some good quality 604 with a sharp bassline. Little did I know that my earlier feeling was only the prelude to a tragedy that would be on first page of most newspapers on the day after.

The track ended gently as it arrived to New York station.

After a ten minutes stop, it was now time for the second part of the journey : Joyfull version. The distance between New York and Philadelphia was shorter, lasting only 7 minutes.

It had started so well. The intro was a sharp pinched harp melody followed by a strong bassline that sounded like an enhanced version of the previous track. It was clearer, more encompassing. And then there was this awesome build-up that started at around 01:50. God damn, they don't make of lot of these these days ! The track was boucing, grooving, gaining speed and quickly ascending toward excellency. There was again that strange, eerie melody at around 02:09, but at that point I did not really care. I was taken by this fiery song into my own Filterian realm. The bassline was stomping, the melodies were kicking, there was power and beauty. I was totally enjoying it.

Everyone in the wagon was getting dancy. Who could have guessed what would happen next ?

Life is a strange thing. One day you are rich, and the next you are poor. One day you are happy, and the next you're not. It can take everything from you, and there's nothing you can do about it. Unless you have gone through this yourself, you have no idea how much your world can change in the span of the second. Oh, how I wish I had been there at 03:00 in the locomotive with my pilot friends. What would I not give to go back in time and be transported just next to them, even for a fraction of a moment, just enough time to scream : "No ! Don't don't this ! It's dangerous you fools !" Sometimes I see this in my dreams, before waking up drenched in sweat, screaming all alone, in the middle of the night.

Do you remember that strange, bizarre melody at 04:27 on the previous track ? Well, Joyfull's version was about to cross this version of the mix. Their original intent was, I believe, to add even more craziness and energy to it. But they were going too fast, way too fast, and as the train approached that dangerous curve, everything changed within the blink of an eye.

All I know is that at 03:05, I was having a Goa blast, and the next second, I had entered a nightmare as the train started veering aside. In that fatidic 03:06 second, the whole train derailed at full speed and went crashing down on the side. As tons of heavy metal rolled over my head, crashing against each other in a rain of broken glass shards, the collapsing train emitted a loud, horrible shriek that I will never be able to forget. It sounded like an insane 12 years boy attempting the chiptune remix of some heretic OST right from the circus stage of some forbidden B-rank 2-bit game. It was as if some disillusioned man was ironing their laundry and suddenly mistook their ironing board with their keyboard synth, melting the keys with the red hot iron. It was horrible. All had started so well. How did we come to this ?

giphy.gif

When I woke up, lying on the grass, 36 people had died and I had lost my legs. What had begun as a benign incident ended up as a tragic accident.

Since then, I've been dedicating my life to warning artists about their use of synths. Do not let this happen to you and to your relatives. Some melodies can be dangerous.

Bandcamp link : https://ohm-mind.bandcamp.com/album/maitreya-aum-ep

SCAN !!! IN MY OFFICE ! NOW !

mutwb9ekjbl41.png

Yes, Mr Jameson ?

I've read your last review.

It's pure crap.

giphy-8.gif

But I, errr...

Boy, people hardly read reviews these days. Do you really think that I'm gonna sell papers when your reviews are all about obscure releases that you, with your crazy brain, have turned into train-wreck fan fictions ? Are you a moron or something ?

But Mr Jameson err...

Don't waste your saliva on me boy.

tumblr_n88lpasKof1qgr036o1_250.gif

NOW GET OUT OF MY OFFICE WITH YOUR GOD DAMN REVIEW !!

to be continued...

• Haha 2

Completely unhinged. Love this review.

I liked the crazy synth personally.... Ok, just relistened to the one in the second track. Train overboard! Train Overboard! I liked the 4 minute wobbles, it was the big kiddy melody at 3:05 that turned me off a little.

Have been meaning to buy all of Ohm Minds recent releases. Maybe I'll stick to the Proxeeus collab.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your review and your honesty :) I appreciate it a lot :wub:

We choose on this Ep to make 2 differents versions of the same track because we had different taste with Joyfull from what we can do and develop with those melodies.

I love the fact there is 2 very separate versions and also not common preset that you find in every release today, than you like it or not and I totally understand :) .

The Ep with Proxeeus are more balanced because we had the same taste but there is also 3 very differents tracks, one typical acidic , one more melodic and a final one more darker :D I love the variety in music :D

There will be many others collaborations Ep in the futur, I am working on this moment with some more crazy stuff that you will like more I hope :rolleyes:

Wish you a good day guys, thanks for your work .

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...