When is someone going to come up with something new?

fluorosis

When is someone going to come up with something new?

Like, SERIOUSLY!
I'm helpless and uninspired. Try hard. Come on. 
Blow my mind, show me what you've got.

Pull a genre out of your arse or something.
Is there some cool new secret scene everyone but moi knows about and is hiding?

(I see those choccie biccies under your pillow...)

If you are bored by psy, you should go look at the genre boundaries or maybe also go across them.
A feeling like this I have long not felt, because I stay ever-hungry for music. You can find so good stuff out there that's just waiting to be discovered B)

Check out This Morn' Omina. They're way underrated in my opinion...

If that was nothing for you, maybe you are more the tribal type and like this:

And if that's also a no, here's my last ... you could open an ambient set to this imo:

:wub:

• Like 1

Thank you! 

Interesting and precisely what the doctor ordered. I like it all, each for their own reasons.

(this is in reference to the 3 clips shared above. all have something vaguely psychedelic trance related about them but they are all different sides of the ingredients and all quite powerful and visual as well)

sorry, i can't seem to figure out to how to directly reply to a comment...

In my view, in terms of innovation and sound design, dubstep, drum and bass, and bass house are genre's pushing the envelope. Psytrance has stagnated in a lot of ways. Just my 2 cents

true, although that seems a bit stuck too now since it's all a bit neurofunk 2000, sound-palette-wise, which isn't a bad thing, but it's also stuck a bit IMO.

As far as newish electronica, I found afro-house to be kinda interesting and pleasant. There's lots of interesting rhythms intermixed.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:21 AM, fluorosis said:

Thank you! 

Interesting and precisely what the doctor ordered. I like it all, each for their own reasons

I'm glad that you liked these!

Yes, you are right, these indeed are made of at least partly the same elements that also psytrance has - and this is exactly why I like them so much. It's projects like these that I am more after than actual psytrance these days.

There's one more artist that's very dear to me and is way underrated at the same time in my opinion - it's Strangezero and the reason why I got into them was because their (early) sound reminded me of Carbon Based Lifeforms, but it has become just so much more:

This playlist contains everything noteworthy from them on YouTube video-wise: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt-j8Op3VdjSNoM9gwGAEFSJBJ3SNRjqY

On 11/22/2020 at 11:49 PM, fluorosis said:

Like, SERIOUSLY!
I'm helpless and uninspired. Try hard. Come on. 
Blow my mind, show me what you've got.

Pull a genre out of your arse or something.
Is there some cool new secret scene everyone but moi knows about and is hiding?

(I see those choccie biccies under your pillow...)

I know shameless self-promotion is universally frowned upon, but since you specified 'My Arse' as the purported source of this secret sonic el dorado you are looking for here's a couple of tracks from my soundcloud that hopefully fit the bill. I've been listening to psy for say 20 years now so it's always been part of my inspiration. 

The first two were made mainly with Oberon, a pretty unique additive softsynth that I'm very fond of. The last has more of an organic feel.

I'm not a super great producer technically but I hope the vibe comes across

On 11/27/2020 at 1:40 PM, auryn said:

I know shameless self-promotion is universally frowned upon, but since you specified 'My Arse' as the purported source of this secret sonic el dorado you are looking for here's a couple of tracks from my soundcloud that hopefully fit the bill. I've been listening to psy for say 20 years now so it's always been part of my inspiration

(...)

Dude, your name is "van der Heijden"? You are not by any means related to Harold van der Heijden - or Eric van der Heijden? Both of them ring a bell and I am remembering an old recording that was called "From Hull to Leeds" by Ron Boots and Harold van der Hejden - nice ambient piece in old style ... can't be found anywhere on Youtube though, a pity.
I would think that there are not so many "van der Heijdens" in the Netherlands that also tweak aound with Synthesizers, no? Or am I wrong?

5 minutes ago, RTP said:

Dude, your name is "van der Heijden"? You are not by any means related to Harold van der Heijden - or Eric van der Heijden? Both of them ring a bell and I am remembering an old recording that was called "From Hull to Leeds" by Ron Boots and Harold van der Hejden - nice ambient piece in old style ... can't be found anywhere on Youtube though, a pity.
I would think that there are not so many "van der Heijdens" in the Netherlands that also tweak aound with Synthesizers, no? Or am I wrong?

Yo don't doxx me bro! ;-)

Yeah my name is van der Heijden, first name Paul. 

Van der Heijden is a pretty common dutch name, we are an, ehem, "prolific" bloodline.

Don't know the name Harold van der Heijden, will shortly google what my knob-twiddling relatives have been up to...

hope you enjoyed the tunes btw, any criticism always welcome!

Well, well, if you do "shameless self promotion" and then disclose your name on Soundcloud and it's similar to artists I heard of, I can't help but comment :D
Ah bummer - so it's a super common name then, well - would have been a funny coincidence if you were related...

Nevertheless, cheers - you can check them out ... mostly old style Synthesizer ambient I'd call it.

By the way, the suggestions from the others = nice, I like - but a lot more in the vicinity of psytrance than the stuff before ... it depends what you are looking for...
(Cool to see Aion kept his name btw, I think it was a good decision :) )

Ah btw, lemme drop a bomb here ... "something new":

hee hee ... what do you say?
Great?
Terrible?
It depends what you are looking for ... what are you looking for? :D

On 11/23/2020 at 11:12 PM, RTP said:

If you are bored by psy, you should go look at the genre boundaries or maybe also go across them.
A feeling like this I have long not felt, because I stay ever-hungry for music. You can find so good stuff out there that's just waiting to be discovered B)

Check out This Morn' Omina. They're way underrated in my opinion...

If that was nothing for you, maybe you are more the tribal type and like this:

And if that's also a no, here's my last ... you could open an ambient set to this imo:

:wub:

Man, thanks a million for your suggestions.
You opened up a new world for me. Heilung... how amazing are they. Never heard of them, but I'm watching with my mouth open to these lives.
Strangezero is beautiful ambient trance like I've never heard and This Morn Omina is kinda new beat like. About time.

Thanks so much for these eye openers! :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aspartic said:

Man, thanks a million for your suggestions.
You opened up a new world for me. Heilung... how amazing are they. Never heard of them, but I'm watching with my mouth open to these lives.
Strangezero is beautiful ambient trance like I've never heard and This Morn Omina is kinda new beat like. About time.

Thanks so much for these eye openers! :wub:

Thanks, I am very happy that I'm not the only one enjoying these :) 

Oh and @psytones- yes that last one reminded me of Infected Mushroom regarding the style ... the original tune is pop though (I'd rate it as that). And Mothership makes good remixes if you are into computer games of the 00s...

If you want something new, I strongly urge you to listen to Mandragora, his music is really psychedelic and versatile. 

Another recent discovery that sounds very fresh to my ears is Lunarave:

Luigi Tozzi also deserves to be mentioned:

Dj sets by Amelie Lens and Charlotte De Witte are always great, they're not new, but they always get me excited:

In 2019 I ended up at a hardstyle dancefloor and I had a great night! I went to a Swedish festival called Scandinavia Electronic Festival (the most uninspiring name ever). The music was mainly mainstream psytrance and hardstyle. GMS was one of the headliners. I was somewhat curious as to what they/he would sound like today, and it was pure crap. Really, really awful. It was mostly covers of various pop songs. So I decided to visit the hardstyle floor instead. I never returned to the psytrance floor.

Don't listen to the music in advance, because it's pretty stupid, but at a party, it's lots of fun and very hedonistic. It all felt very new and fresh. Go there without prejudice and you might be happily surprised.

I never ever would have thought that I would find hardstyle fun, but it was great. I will never listen to it at home, but I will certainly visit hardstyle dancefloors again.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, Trolsk said:

In 2019 I ended up at a hardstyle dancefloor and I had a great night! I went to a Swedish festival called Scandinavia Electronic Festival (the most uninspiring name ever). The music was mainly mainstream psytrance and hardstyle. GMS was one of the headliners. I was somewhat curious as to what they/he would sound like today, and it was pure crap. Really, really awful. It was mostly covers of various pop songs. So I decided to visit the hardstyle floor instead. I never returned to the psytrance floor.

Don't listen to the music in advance, because it's pretty stupid, but at a party, it's lots of fun and very hedonistic. It all felt very new and fresh. Go there without prejudice and you might be happily surprised.

I never ever would have thought that I would find hardstyle fun, but it was great. I will never listen to it at home, but I will certainly visit hardstyle dancefloors again.

I have (unfortunately) not experienced this exact scenario myself, but I can very much relate to it mentally ... interestingly, in a prducing act = mate n me acually wanted to make "good" psytrance but then got so bored while making it, we lost it completely and made a tune like NPNK: https://soundcloud.com/user-571754012/skeletone-npnk-feat-lord-g (happy if you clicked on that for good measure :) )

Sometimes you just gotta throw these boundaries and frames in your head over board and the result is better than what you'd have achieved when sticking to them. May be valid as a producer as well as a listener.

In the past I was kinda genre-focused, but with every year that passes, my boders dilute ... I feel like a universe ... expanding...

On 12/5/2020 at 11:04 PM, Trolsk said:

Hardstyle is one of the weird ones that I find to be absolutely insane live. It has so many crazy and hard elements to it that make it perfect for a wild party. Also great for melodies and uplifting euphoric moments as well as being able to easily incorporate psy, pop music and all the rest of it.

How do people dance to it over in Sweden? In Aus we have muzzing and chopping. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vP3m0kjC7w - My fav hardstyle track rn + muzzing

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, psytones said:

^ INTERESTING!! :D up on BC soon, self-release or label? 

Yes well guessed. It's going to show on BC as soon as the ready product is in my hands - self-released like before.

@Oopie

im curious. is it more x-dream oriented or more chi-ad oriented than your other album(s) ?

either way im looking forward to hearing it.

i got a few melodies and basslines of my own to stitch together but no sound yet. thats the hard part. every good artist i can think of has their own unique sound and you can identify them by the sound alone in just a few bars.

such as x-dream, or chi-ad. you are in that similar vein but i think has your own sound still. i wonder when that happens. when in your production phase you develop your sound, if that happens before you write music, or after.

and what constitues a "sound" for that matter? is it EQ? tonal qualities? cause it cant be the melodies/patterns themselves. huh. guess i went a bit far off the off topic there.

curious about this though, and i welcome any and all input !