1200 Micrograms - 12 Micrograms

Guest Tranceport

Hey guys, what can you tell me about this CD? I know it's highly subjective, but it is a stand out work? I recently ran across the name while reading some reviews of Converting Vegetarians. It received high accolades from one of the reviewers. He kind of compared it to CV in terms of how much he liked it. Since I really enjoy both "The Trance Side" and "The Other Side" of CV, I thought I'd do a followup and see what you guys think?

The samples on saikosounds are a bit short to get a good feel for the flow of the album. I like twisted, interesting psytrance. If it's one of those albums that's indistinguishable from another 1,000 of its kind out there, I probably wouldn't be that enthused.

Personally I liked it. A LOT of people dissed this album simply because it was a GMS side-project for eveyone said it was just another GMS full-on clone. However I DON'T agree!! Another thing that pissed people off were all the drug references. But IMO once one passes all these "details" and concentrates on the actual music it's pretty good. For me there's a LOT of variation between tracks ranging from "typical" full-on stormers (DMT, Hashish) to more laid-back tribal stuff (Magic Mushrooms, Ayahuasca) to more rock-influenced traks (Mescaline). I simply don't undesrtand how people can dismiss this album by saying that it's just another typical GMS CD. IMO most of the people saying that never even listened to the album! For me it was one of the best 02 releases...

(but don't go for their 2nd album - Heroes of the Imagination - cause that one was a HUGE dissapointment)

SMI²LE

I agree about their first album. It was fresh, very psychedelic without any pretentiousness as people were saying. Ok, there are some silly samples but isn't there a lot of artists that uses them too? It wasn't such a big deal for me either and I quite enjoyed the album except MESCALINE that I find very boring. All other songs are great but especially LSD, AYAHUASCA, ECSTASY, HASHISH, DMT...Their second album wasn't such a big dissapointment as Lemmi said, it just wasn't as good. They slightly changed that demented style they had from the first album and added more gentler melodies like Zorba kind instead of GMS and I enjoyed it as well. And again, I didn't like the only one with guitars - ACID FOR NOTHING. rest of the album was pretty nice and energetic...1200 Mics - 8/10, Heroes Of Imagination - 7/10

Guest Towelie

I find it the worst album i have heard.. could they try to do something else to the samples except put delay on the end (hashis.. hashis..hashis.. bla..bla..bla) .. some tracks have cool intro with flutes and stuff and then they just kill it with the basic gms bass line ;)

I did listen the album

waiting for the bitter swede

well Towelie, if you have really listened to the album, you must have noticed that something else hapens in the tracks except from the GMS bassline and the samples... how about the atmospheres? the wonderful flute melodies by Raja Ram? the nice synth melodies? the fact that each track is supposed to replicate the "mood" created by a certain drug? the fact that tracks range from nice and coherent ones (Magic Mushrooms) to totally crazy ones (Salvia Divinorum)? for me, anyone who listened to the album should've noticed mainly these elements and not the 10 second drug samples and the bassline... and how could the bassline be the typical GMS bassline when it ranges from calm tracks to fast ones? GMS ONLY does fast BPMs, here you also have +/- 100 BPM tracks...

SMI²LE

Guest Towelie

as i said i like the flutes and stuff (so maybe its not the worst album).. but the rest of the music just doesnt work for me at all.. its just sounds so meaningles i cant stand it.. its only my ears anyway

Guest grahf

Ehh, I guess it does stand out from normal full-on stuff.

actually my favorite 1200 mics tracks are not the ones from their albums, but rather the two on the Crystal Skulls comps.

too noisy for my taste.. I do like the flutes though

sorry, I didnt mean specifically this cd.. I have never heard it.. I went to a party where 1200 mics played a month ago or something, I dont know if they played this cd or not, and that was too noisy for me, those typical scratchy sounds and unpolished (imo, chill out hehe) basslines that I dont like

I don't agree Lemmi, I actually think that their second one is more on ZORBA side than GMS cause they use similar melodic strucuture as they use in ZORBA music. Their first album more sound like GMS but, hey, what a heck, they are good...It is silly to compare in any case. They do tend to make same music as GMS but this output is pretty nice and although it sounds immature in content and samples, the music and general feel is good.

yeah you're right that 2nd one sounds more like Zorba, I got a little carried away there :) Maybe the stuff played at the party was unreleased stuff to be featured on the 3rd album and that sounded like GMS? :)

SMI²LE

• 2 years later...

on first instance the first cd is good.. but hell does it get boring soon. and the other released tracks arent any better. All in all i really dislike 1200 mics, especially because of their live performance lately which was truely pathetic. The worst i have ever seen (singing out of tune, out of beat; using instruments 'live' that are not close enough to the mic to be heard, playbacking guitar solo's on a small plastic guitar etc).

and so were there single performances. Raja ram after 40 + years or whatever in the music business still doesnt know how to beatmatch tracks, chicago doesnt notice himself playing the same 3 tracks again in the same row.. etc etc. I do find it very difficult to take these guys serious..

on first instance the first cd is good.. but hell does it get boring soon. and the other released tracks arent any better. All in all i really dislike 1200 mics, especially because of their live performance lately which was truely pathetic. The worst i have ever seen (singing out of tune, out of beat; using instruments 'live' that are not close enough to the mic to be heard, playbacking guitar solo's on a small plastic guitar etc). 

and so were there single performances. Raja ram after 40 + years or whatever in the music business still doesnt know how to beatmatch tracks, chicago doesnt notice himself playing the same 3 tracks again in the same row.. etc etc. I do find it very difficult to take these guys serious..

605328[/snapback]

God! That sounds bloody awful. Are they really that bad? I never thought they would be good enough to bother watching live but I wouldn't have imagined they were that vomit worthy.

Yeah, it's sad what they've turned into. I really liked their first album - along with Eskimo's debut it was the best full-on CD, and normally I don't like that kind of music... I wasn't bothered by abundance of drug samples, since I found them funny. I wasn't bothered by full-on basslines, because I don't listen to that kind of music that much, so it was a novelty for me :)

To bad their 2nd and 3rd albums were crap, with remixes of rock or folk tunes - too cheesy for me to bare with it...