memo604 - anyone know if this is legit?

8 hours ago, astralprojection said:

you dont find they usually end up sounding better?

I was just expecting files ripped from DAT / masters, instead of vinyl rips.

But considering that in this case we are talking about music composed almost 30 years ago, the rarity of the release and quality of the rip (it is very good, as I wrote above),

I am REALLY HAPPY with this digital reissue.. :excl::excl:

On 10/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, astralprojection said:

And here I am, trying to find vinyl rips :p

you dont find they usually end up sounding better? even through a digital medium.

No, they never do when compared to properly mastered digital files sourced from tape or whatever.

On 10/21/2020 at 3:59 PM, Basilisk said:

No, they never do when compared to properly mastered digital files sourced from tape or whatever.

I see. But If you had a really good turntable, pickup and needle - using a high grade studio dac like the lyra or something, you could probably capture a vinyl record (without noise or crackle), and i think that would sound way nicer than someone rippin flacs from a CD! :)

obviously thats the optimal scenario, but even with consumer grade stuff i think vinyl just sounds a bit better, it doesnt have any aliasing or sound sharp, and it has to me a more realistic sound. (i think phase and stereo image has alot to do with this. which can sound slightly artificial in a pure digital environment)

in fact i have a few vinyl rips of the astral catalogue and they sound better to me than the CDs.

but you mentioned properly mastered digital files from tapes - Its probably quite rare to have a digital file sourced from tape? Ofc unless you mean how Cds were sourced from the master tapes in the last 40 or so years.. But if thats what you mean then thats not even better, its actually another step.

Sourcing a Vinyl rip (thats also sourced from the master tape) and then making a "proper" digital master as you say - would sound better using the vinyl rip than using a CD rip.