Jump to content

Your favorite Goa Trance Tracks of 2020 so far?


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

í think its a pretty modern thing, like already discussed to no end :p and tons of tracks have this "issue". point is, it wasnt an issue until 'recently'. people just assumed it "comes with it" and "its normal" and "its because theres tons of layers". all that. but now, people know better, and the modern nano stuff sounds so clean you could have a hundred layers without affecting the knb.

Interesting, could anyone show me some new goa stuff which has tons of layers but the K/B is still clear throughout the track. Perhaps a new thread could be created to not OT this one. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AstralSphinx said:

Interesting, could anyone show me some new goa stuff which has tons of layers but the K/B is still clear throughout the track. Perhaps a new thread could be created to not OT this one. :) 

pretty much anything from Daze :) 

edit. i think artifact303 is pretty accurate on this too, and has a superbly clean sound where the kick never seems buried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spotted someone talking about KbBB line sounding fat all through the track.. oddly enough this track does fairly well in that regard.. I made it from start to end in 12 hours 8AM - 8PM then released it on YT. It won't win any awards for musical progression/slickest production/cleanest modern mix (it was meant to be Goa esque / early 2000's inspired after all) / but it is decent for a 1/2 days work.. the concept included listening love of proto Goa track "The Overlords - Sundown" - it is not really based on this but the simple production of it somehow influenced it.. For your info Zebra 2 did bass for this one....why ? Nothing more than I got a usable bass sound fastest.

MiKroMaKro_Something From Nothing_link valid for 7 days

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, AstralSphinx said:

I have noticed this a lot lately when revisting/listening to old school 90's goa, that the kick and bass will often sound very fat and clear at their own before the often densely layered melodic channels are introduced. Not that it bothers me, but it makes me wonder, if it's an inevitable drawback of having lots of melodic layers, that might obscure the click part of the kick and the the top of the bassline? Or if that's not an issue anymore with todays production techniques? 

 

You didn't have tools back then or they were really expansive. Today it's easy to do it with EQ or dynamic EQ to put down specific frequency ranges, automate as you like. Some of them used different technic and one example is Dimension 5. In very melodic parts they added click sample over kick, at 2.08 click comes in:

 

 

MWNN has best production in Goa scene in 90s, he managed to have his kicks and bass flat and steady. If attack on kick isnt fast enough, he used longer subby ones 1/8 and put them louder few decibels than they should be. Few examples: Lunar Cycle, Low Commotion, Neuro Tunnel, Dawn Chorus... Then you had in Moonracker remix metalic kick similiar to one from Gnocchi by Miranda.

 

Cydonia - Shambala, Infinity Project - Superbooster all enginered by MWNN. Early Miranda stuff all by Dan Larsson (Electronic Dreamplanet) :))

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, MikroMakro said:

I spotted someone talking about KbBB line sounding fat all through the track.. oddly enough this track does fairly well in that regard.. I made it from start to end in 12 hours 8AM - 8PM then released it on YT. It won't win any awards for musical progression/slickest production/cleanest modern mix (it was meant to be Goa esque / early 2000's inspired after all) / but it is decent for a 1/2 days work.. the concept included listening love of proto Goa track "The Overlords - Sundown" - it is not really based on this but the simple production of it somehow influenced it.. For your info Zebra 2 did bass for this one....why ? Nothing more than I got a usable bass sound fastest.

MiKroMaKro_Something From Nothing_link valid for 7 days

 

 

Now you just need to put bassline down for 2-3dB, and lowcut it higher (cut at key frequency with 30dB sloper or more). It's too subby and eats too much of the mix. Track have potential indeed, I am here if you need any help !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Imba said:

 

You didn't have tools back then or they were really expansive. Today it's easy to do it with EQ or dynamic EQ to put down specific frequency ranges, automate as you like. Some of them used different technic and one example is Dimension 5. In very melodic parts they added click sample over kick, at 2.08 click comes in:

 

 

MWNN has best production in Goa scene in 90s, he managed to have his kicks and bass flat and steady. If attack on kick isnt fast enough, he used longer subby ones 1/8 and put them louder few decibels than they should be. Few examples: Lunar Cycle, Low Commotion, Neuro Tunnel, Dawn Chorus... Then you had in Moonracker remix metalic kick similiar to one from Gnocchi by Miranda.

 

Cydonia - Shambala, Infinity Project - Superbooster all enginered by MWNN. Early Miranda stuff all by Dan Larsson (Electronic Dreamplanet) :))

 

Cool stuff :) One of the most impressive MWNN tracks still to this day to me is his remix of Marmion - Schöneberg. Would be nice with some info/album anectotes from these old engineers like Dan Larsson for example. Yes the Gnoochi kick is very cool, she explained in the comments on youtube that she used a cowbell and a synt for the "click"/transient part:

 

0774F6E4-5767-4DAA-80DD-8A7AB990A7F4.png

5416ED8C-CD80-40B6-8ACA-37E4AB104187.png

E863C293-3C14-4A04-B4A6-462A3F9C3545.png

7A32F117-F99A-40E6-A7CB-5E9FE517B2A4.png

 

I tried this Gnocchi-recipe myself and got some pretty interesting results :) using the Lush-101 clone for the synth transient, Kick2 for the sub part and a pitched down cowbell sample. So the old recipes can still make for some tasty goa dishes. ^_^

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2020 at 1:51 PM, Imba said:

 

Now you just need to put bassline down for 2-3dB, and lowcut it higher (cut at key frequency with 30dB sloper or more). It's too subby and eats too much of the mix. Track have potential indeed, I am here if you need any help !

 

Thanks for the offer, this one was an experiment in what can be done in a very short time and so it will remain as it is, there are no plans for it, it is not something I am too precious about. And I agree, to make it sound more in line with 2020 it needs the low end, lower mids and that open hi hat adjusting, (and then where does it stop ?) but really it was a track that was a test of what I could arrange in a short time, based around loose inspiration.

If I changed it now which of course I could it would not be a reflection of the original moment and feel, I like its "thick and spongey" sound for what it is. Also I posted it up as it loosely falls into a Goa-esque style and someone in this thread mentioned they like mixes where the kick and bass line is remaining fat throughout and not becoming lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...