VA - Gamma Draconis (CD & LP on Suntrip Records) - Only 90s artists! :)

A pure goa-trance compilation on CD & vinyl with Astral Projection, MFG, Xenomorph, Shakta, Oforia,... in 2020! Yes, that is still possible! Suntrip worked for years with these goa-trance legends and they made 1 more old school goa-trance track especially for us! As a result, we are proud to present "Gamma Draconis", an 8 track compilation which will please all lovers of 90s goa/psychedelic-trance! The tracks range from classic melodic trance to darker acidic stuff! Each their own!

The tracklist looks like this: 
1. Roy Sasson - Mentalogue
2. Xenomorph - Dying Sun
3. Battle of the Future Buddhas - Shinechaser
4. Shakta - Expedition to Earth
5. Astral Projection - Dominion
6. MFG - Global Light (Retro Version)
7. Ra - Eikon 
8. Oforia - Emotionally Charged Memories

It will be released as CD and 2*LP at the end of september or first week of october! More info about this soon on our social media channels (fb & instagram mainly).
image.png.689d50b474ef2dd26c3e04ab1a816a14.png

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:11 PM, Anoebis said:

The Ra track is a much extended more modern remix/rework from the Icon track on Sun Conkreti, which was largely forgotton... 

Not forgotten at all, but the mastering was horrid. I'm happy it gets its well deserved second shot! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Samples: https://suntriprecords.com/release/cat/SUNCD63

High quality music stuff by all the artists involved..

The old-school feeling is shining and vibrant..!!

Xenomorph, AS ALWAYS shakes the universe once again...

On 8/23/2020 at 10:57 AM, psyhoe said:

Amazing coverart.

Indeed..!

I hope to be included in high quality files, in the digital release..

Listening to the samples and the Xenomorph track it reminds me some of Filterias early stuff. Pleasantly surprised by Xenomorph so far, as I haven't really heard anything by him except his at the time groundbreaking track Obscure Spectre on the VA - Psychedelic Demons 1998. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Psychedelic-Demons/release/363074 Which was very different in style to this new track Dying Sun, I prefer this new direction Xenomorph has opted for. It's a more "Pleiadic" approach, or perhaps "Filteric".  :D Xenomorph's snare is the only vestige I can hear from his earlier more heavymetal/industrial influenced? style. It also reminds me a bit of the snare drum in Astral Projection's track Maian Dream. :) The Astral Projections track to my ears also sounds inspired by a Neo Goa artist, namely Artifact303. :D Which is a suprising reversal of things, as it used to be the other way around. But not so strange if one takes into consideration that they are now label mates, and surely Astral Projection must've have been exposed to quite a lot of Neo Goa by now. I'll save my final thoughts for when the compilation is released and we got the complete picture of things. The samples were quite generous in duration though. -_-

4 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Listening to the samples and the Xenomorph track it reminds me some of Filterias early stuff.

Comparing Xenomorph to Filteria sounds unfair and rather offensive, to my ears at least..

4 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

as I haven't really heard anything by him except his at the time groundbreaking track Obscure Spectre

that's why, probably...

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, GeorgeMoonstoneD said:

Comparing Xenomorph to Filteria sounds unfair and rather offensive, to my ears at least..

that's why, probably...

So me saying that I'm pleasantly surprised by a track and comparing it to another goa artist, from the label that released this compilation is offensive? :D And yeah you might've heard all of Xenomorph's discography, I haven't (yet) there's so much goa to discover, impossible to hear it all. But I'm working on it. ;) Does it make my experience or impression less valid? That's the beauty of this forum, the different angles/opinions and impressions. If anything this new Xenomorph track got me really curious about his other goa tracks. Certainly if he has made similar stuff recently that would be interesting to explore for me. And btw Xenomorph might even be a fan of Filteria? Who are we to judge his inspirations? :) Would you find it equally offensive if hypothetically Xenomorph would say that he likes Filteria's music? It would be interesting to hear you develop some of your reasoning concerning what it's you find offensive with Filteria's music, just out of curiousity.

I'm very much looking forwards to the reviews of this compilation, as lot's of people here have a very strong emotional bond to the music of the legendary artists featured on it. And that can indeed be a sensitive topic for some. :) There will undoubtedly be many comparisons drawn, between their classical works and these new tracks, and there will certainly be parallels drawn to other newer artists in the genre. As reviews are an analytical process, and music is always contrasted within a context. The endless new vs old debates are integral to this process. It's just the way things goes around  here.

• Like 1

Calm down, mate.. No bad feelings against you, nor any intention to question your experience or your impression..

I just expressed my personal opinion, which is a result of active involvement in the scene since the mid 90ies..

59 minutes ago, AstralSphinx said:

comparing it to another goa artist

To me (and not just me, I can assure you..) Filteria and other musicians of the so called Neo-Goa style, just aren't Goa artists.. In general, NEO-GOA IS NOT GOA..

The real "Goa" thing, concerning parties, music composed, inspiration, came to its end around early 00s, 2003, let's say.. Since then, things changed radically.. Almost everything became over-commercialized, mainstream, targeting to the masses and therefore loosing its underground character.. I could write pages over pages about that, but I think that people who really experienced it at the right times and places, with the right music, at the right state of mind can totally understand what I mean..

To me, Neo-Goa is just a bad replica of the past.. Simple as that..

Once again, these are my personal thoughts.. No intention to blame, or turn against anybody.. Musical taste is matter of personal choice, but facts are facts...

• Confused 1

On 9/5/2020 at 10:00 PM, GeorgeMoonstoneD said:

Calm down, mate.. No bad feelings against you, nor any intention to question your experience or your impression..

I just expressed my personal opinion, which is a result of active involvement in the scene since the mid 90ies..

To me (and not just me, I can assure you..) Filteria and other musicians of the so called Neo-Goa style, just aren't Goa artists.. In general, NEO-GOA IS NOT GOA..

The real "Goa" thing, concerning parties, music composed, inspiration, came to its end around early 00s, 2003, let's say.. Since then, things changed radically.. Almost everything became over-commercialized, mainstream, targeting to the masses and therefore loosing its underground character.. I could write pages over pages about that, but I think that people who really experienced it at the right times and places, with the right music, at the right state of mind can totally understand what I mean..

To me, Neo-Goa is just a bad replica of the past.. Simple as that..

Once again, these are my personal thoughts.. No intention to blame, or turn against anybody.. Musical taste is matter of personal choice, but facts are facts...

No hard feelings :) you have your opinions, and I have mine. It's the essence of this forum, that's why I love this place. I just find it interesting really to hear what people think on these topics. To me personally I'm not easily offended by electronic music. Since Goa Trance often lacks any lyrics, besides perhaps some sampled voice/talk. I'm also quite old by now and experienced the first wave of Goa Trance in the 90's, still I'm open for new experiences. Because I would become extremely bored by limiting myself to essentially only one decade of goa trance (the 90's). 

The vibes and world was a very different place back then for sure, in many different aspects. Some for good others for worse, and that's what makes this compilation so interesting to me. The fact that it's essentially Neo Goa, since it's new Goa Trance produced recently, by veterans from the first Goa Trance wave.

btw sure opionions is one thing, but facts? Well then you better provide somekind of verifiable source to corroborate your claim. :D Simply proclaiming that something is "facts" doesn't automatically make it true. We have lots of "facts" around the world these days. Until then it's just fakenews. 

1 hour ago, AstralSphinx said:

If anything this new Xenomorph track got me really curious about his other goa tracks. Certainly if he has made similar stuff recently that would be interesting to explore for me.

Try https://xenomorph-official.bandcamp.com

Support him if you like his music and if his more recent works ring a bell to you, you can gradually go deeper to his older cinematic - horror psychedelic stuff.. B)

On 9/5/2020 at 10:34 PM, GeorgeMoonstoneD said:

Try https://xenomorph-official.bandcamp.com

Support him if you like his music and if his more recent works ring a bell to you, you can gradually go deeper to his older cinematic - horror psychedelic stuff.. B)

Thanks! Will do. 

The funny thing is... Filteria and Xenomorph are friends and talk a LOT about "music making" and synths :) They never made music together so far tho

As for modern goa not being goa? Thats, obviously, not serious and one of those opinions that somehow crushes all modern innovative psychedelic artists within this genre. A music genre is not defined by a time period but about a style. I think its very clear for example Triquetra is pure goa. Why wouldn't it be? Because it is made in 2020? Its made exactly like the music in the 90s.. 100% with analog synths and the style is the same as well :)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Anoebis said:

The funny thing is... Filteria and Xenomorph are friends and talk a LOT about "music making" and synths :) They never made music together so far tho

As for modern goa not being goa? Thats, obviously, not serious and one of those opinions that somehow crushes all modern innovative psychedelic artists within this genre. A music genre is not defined by a time period but about a style. I think its very clear for example Triquetra is pure goa. Why wouldn't it be? Because it is made in 2020? Its made exactly like the music in the 90s.. 100% with analog synths and the style is the same as well :)  

I agree. And besides I would even argue that Filterias early music is old school by now since it's 16 years now since Sky Input was released. :P I've actually never heard anyone say for example that new Techno isn't Techno and whatever. It becomes illogical, goa is just a genre like every other genre out there, with different decades. It feels as the finger is pointed specifically at Filteria for some reason unknown to me. Because at the end of the day this compilation and all the artists on it are also making Goa, modern Goa produced in 2019 or 2020. Not in 1996, so therefore they are also per defintion producers of Neo Goa. :) But maybe there is somekind of magic sprinkled on the veterans music that makes it superior to any newer artist in the genre? ;) 

Btw I get strong deja-vu from this discussion, it was all the same back in the mid 2000's when the first wave of new Goa hit the air waves. "this is not Goa" "it's not the true spirit" :D "It's not this, it's not that" If we examine the subject a little closer even, Filteria's music was always very focused on using lots of analog equipment, not even that will be satisfactory if people have a preconception already set in stone. One thing is certain, if it wasn't for the resurgence and revival of Goa Trance in the mid 2000's, there would be a lot less music to be excited about right now for us who appreciate the effort by todays artists and labels. It was like a dry desert in the early 2000's. Very few Goa albums. Today we have a wide selection available, everything from rare unreleased DAT remasters, to new experimental Goa, and classical sounding Goa, to old 90's Goa veterans making Goa again. There's also unmastered re-released classics, remastered classics, some other more obscure releases focusing on older previously kinda neglected Goa. Stuff that was perhaps only available on mp3.com, myspace and other platforms. So the options are endless, even for old school puritans there's plenty to be happy about. No one is forcing anyone to listen to music they don't like.

Claiming that Neo Goa isn't Goa as "facts". Is bogus, and likely trolling/intentional provocation. Certainly against the artists and labels within this genre. New Goa is Goa too, I will respect other opinions, but it's not a good forum to spread what's essentially a lie. 

18 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

I've actually never heard anyone say for example that new Techno isn't Techno and whatever.

come on. you cannot seriously think that the boring, sleep-inducing music people call techno nowadays is in the same genre as real techno back in the day. ;)

in all seriousness, most of what is now promoted as techno would have been classified as minimal house in the time around 2000. however there are exceptions to be found in the techno thread in other electronica.

@GeorgeMoonstoneD

your opinion is very valuable and interesting. but here is how youre wrong.

filteria is on the same label as this xenomorph track you just said was offensive to have been compared to. which is ironic- theyre on the same label - filteria uses almost 100% the same gear that was used in the 90s - how is that not goa? how is that not just a natural progression of music - turned into neo goa - a beautiful high production standard genre. What is not goa about that. 

There are dozens more aritsts in the new goa style that are absolutely incredible at the music they do - and you diss them all by saying its not even goa. 

many of those artists (filteria, mindsphere) uses the same gear as used back in "the day" where you are somehow stuck.

You said you were offended by the comparison between Filteria and Xenomorph.

well Im offended by that statement, you just offended filteria, fans, and suntrip as a label. You basically said 99% of their catalogue is "not goa". That is pretty offensive if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Padmapani said:

come on. you cannot seriously think that the boring, sleep-inducing music people call techno nowadays is in the same genre as real techno back in the day. ;)

in all seriousness, most of what is now promoted as techno would have been classified as minimal house in the time around 2000. however there are exceptions to be found in the techno thread in other electronica.

Interesting point, I think the Techno genre is comparable to the Psytrance one in that regard, it contains various different styles. Goa however is perhaps a somewhat more strictly defined style? But yeah broadly speaking, Techno has evolved of course, but we can maybe agree that we know more or less what's meant by the term Techno nowadays. ;) If that genre is played at a venue, I got a hum of what's waiting, and the same goes for Goa and Psy, even more so if I know specifically what artists will be playing if I know about their works. Here in Sweden  they even write stuff like "DJ whatever - Dark Techno, DJ whatever 2 - Acid Techno, Minimal Techno etc. If I see an Apsara flyer I sure know what's up. :P 

Here's a recent flyer to a combined Techno/Psy outdoors party here in Sweden:

085B7B8A-AE05-49B4-BF7D-2B60C44DBCBE.jpeg

64E269A9-C81C-4448-A933-D48786FFFA89.jpeg

But yeah it goes with the territory, for an outsider the different Goa flavours available at an Apsara party or the music played at Swedish Techno/Psy parties might be confusing, and sound like different genres even. And to some it might just all sound the same lol. And it was no different back in the 90's either in that regard. I remember vividly the different styles on offer at the parties. And I also remember that when I went to Techno clubs like Docklands in hope of hearing some Goa, they mostly played Techno which to my ears sounded all the same and boring, since I wasn't into it.

However at the end of the day we need genre labeling as a guideline and of course for marketing purposes as well. There will always be overlap between styles, it's inevitable. But going from that to claiming that Neo Goa isn't real Goa is a radical departure of logic. And an insult for sure to lots of artists/labels. And it defied logic so much that it took a day for the absurdness of the claim to fully sink in lol. :D So if it was trolling, good game you got me then.

Pre-orders available now! And the vinyl sales are going surprisingly fast. If you buy 1 cd/vinyl, Suntrip & bandcamp are equal prices, but if you buy more items, shipping becomes cheaper on the Suntrip shop :)

https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/
https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD63/

4 hours ago, Widar said:

Is it possible to get bandcamp codes if we buy from Suntrip shop?

I often use the bandcamp streaming feature and would love to have these there as well.

if you are buying several items, we can do that :) If you buy only Gamma Draconis, you can buy it directly on bandcamp :)