Old progressive thread

recursion loop

It seems that some people miss this style, me included.

Compared to the todays definition of prog it often had more groovy, syncopated bassline (though sometimes also the typcial KbBB pattern but somewhat more "relaxed"), less starts, stops and shooshes, more mellow and hypnotic flow with lots of lush atmospheric layers and sounds.

Everybody knows Vibrasphere and Atmos, but I also like these albums, perhaps less known

Freq-Strange Attractors

Andromeda - Sensations

Sensogram - Parallel Minds  

What else should I check out, with similar sound?

• Like 1

Yes that's the sound. Three really great tracks. I got stuck on vibraspheres catalog though, and unfortunately missed out on alot of other really great prog. So I can't really bring much to the topic that's outside that catalog. But the genre is wonderful, it's always a happy feeling to it. Even darker prog has a positive outlook.

You, who have a finger on the pulse of current modern psy, is this genre still prevalent? What years are the tracks you posted from? I like all three alot. 

But if like to contribute with one of the older vibra tracks and one of the "newer". 

But it's funny you said everyone knows about vibra and atmos and here I go posting vibra and atmos :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, astralprojection said:

You, who have a finger on the pulse of current modern psy, is this genre still prevalent? What years are the tracks you posted from? I like all three alot. 

Freq - 2004, Andromeda  -2005, Sensogram - 2012.

I don't know any current artists with similar sound. Most recent mainstream "prog" actually soudns like full-on slowed down to 138-140 bbm.

Can't remember how they sound but back in the day, these albums were popular:

Lish - Free Fall
Antix - Twin Coast Discovery

Recently I listened to Frechbax - Frech and was pleasantly surprised, it is darker than most progressive though.

thanks for this thread. i didn't know sensogram.

no thread about old progressive would be complete without human blue (even though i think everyone will already know this one).

another great artist from back in the day is protonica

the closest thing to old progressive i've heard from recent releases is stereofeld

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Padmapani said:

i didn't know sensogram.

Everybody should know Sensogram, this album is sublime :)

https://www.discogs.com/ru/Sensogram-Parallel-Minds/release/3590430 

Probably the most atmospheric record in psytrance ever. 

Good stuff, Padmapani. This Human Blue track reminded me on the Joof guys, John 00 Fleming and Airwave.

I actually know Stereofeld, iirc he released two albums at Ectoplazm. Gotta give them a listen again.

Sublime thread!

So, I think you're a bit more after the melodic and a bit trancy side of the old progressive (like Human Blue) - not after the kind of "hard bangers" that I posted in the other thread ... sure I could come with some Patara or Hatikwa now, but "imma keep the flow" of your conversation:

Of the old ones, I can throw in 12 Moons and Matenda:

and of the newer ones, I can recommend you the upbeat side of Solar Fields:

Fun fact: all three of these artists have an ambient side. 12 Moons = Healer, Matenda = Chilling Matenda, Solar Fields = Solar Fields

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RTP said:

Sublime thread!

So, I think you're a bit more after the melodic and a bit trancy side of the old progressive (like Human Blue) - not after the kind of "hard bangers" that I posted in the other thread ... sure I could come with some Patara or Hatikwa now, but "imma keep the flow" of your conversation:

Of the old ones, I can throw in 12 Moons and Matenda:

That one was amazing! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RTP said:

So, I think you're a bit more after the melodic and a bit trancy side of the old progressive 

Yeah, indeed. Like always  :) 

Great tracks posted. That Andromeda remix is amazing! (like pretty much evetything made by Andromeda/Chromosome).

I knew Healer but didn't know he also had an uptempo project

• Like 1

9 hours ago, recursion loop said:

That Andromeda remix is amazing! (like pretty much evetything made by Andromeda/Chromosome).

Cool, I didn't know Andromeda and Chromosome were related.

Chromosome made one of the best S-Range remixes out there and it even fits in here:

:wub:

• Like 1

Wonder if Element belongs to the category, they had a hit - "The Crow". I have the "Transform" album and saw them live at some party in the woods. They used a guitar but not rockish sounding more like a pad layer. Opening track of album:

Will listen later to some of the other tracks posted

Edit, here a track from 2nd album, bit irritating vocal imho 

@frisbee great choice, I always liked the old Antix sound

@Multi-Media I like Element quite a lot ... yes, the Willkommen track is very good, I listened to it on a Goa-Head compilation and liked Element since then :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice topic, I like the lighter side, and I adore Human Blue.. took me best part of 3 years to track this down after hearing it one morning in a festival glade between the trees, the funny thing is I had been listening to Human Blue for a few years and did not realize it was his track.. the DJ was just playing CD-R's that had no labeling as I went and asked who did the track as there were only a few people chilling at the time..  I could not help but dance when it got going, nice and ethereal arp pad melody at the end...