GOOD POP MUSIC

RTP

Hi, title says it all. I want this to be a counterbalance to the utterly paralyzing horror of the "german top10" thread.

Sprouting from that counterbalancing idea, I'll give you the best GOOD (but apparently little known) austrian pop song that I know:

It's full of jokes that only Austrians understand, unfortunately. But I hope you recognize the structure and good execution if you don't understand the language.

What GOOD pop songs do you have?
Bring them on PLEASE :)

Yeah, please, no 80s or 90s ... or I'd spam everything with Falco :D

Let's say it should be after 2010 ... if it's more recent: even better :)

I found Lily Allen a while ago this song (+video - note the cool drummer) seems good enough, that I wonder if it is a cover version from some 70ties song?? From 2009 so outside your age range :mellow:

2013:

2017, although a bit too "quiet" for my taste one must admit good song:

On 8/15/2020 at 11:06 PM, recursion loop said:

I liked Britney's Womanizer and some other songs.

Will I be banned?

I had a Spears Megamix -  ok only as MP3... but her music did not age so well for me. Also Womanizer is from 2008.

Here a 2011 title which sounds pretty decent - don´t know if she has more newer stuff, seems to have disappeared

Also found right now, some German language stuff, seems decent too. 2015

I heard also a "hiphop (grime?)" song from her, which reminded me on M.I.A. (not a bad thing I guess)

2020: Learned that Paradise Lost last album was in top10 in Ger and Austria for quite a while, does not make it pop I guess. But here a song from the album "Obsidian". Bit too soft for me lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 11:06 PM, recursion loop said:

I liked Britney's Womanizer and some other songs.

Will I be banned?

No - on the contrary ... first this inspires me to a story, second to a confession. One after the other.

So I have been on a forum in the past - great times - there was this one guy, a black metal fan - I assume, because he had a strong love for Akercocke - who _convincinly_ posted, that Britney Spears is an alien or a speical lifeform and that she communicated with him through his dreams. And the point is, he didn't just ramble on like some lunatic, there was a spark of genius in these posts, some elements that made you think, wait, not only is this guy for real - what if she really DID communicate ... it was really well done, including elements that were shown in videos and statements to the public from her that he claimed were done for him... :blink:
Like I said, great times :D
Slight problem is, he anchored Britney Spears for me to these stories and claims ... and there's this fraction of a thought left in me that says "what if it was true?" ... I was very much into "secret signs and symbols in popular music" back then, found a series of videos, long ones, that explained the signs and symbols and boy oh boy, we are doomed, that's what sticks...

My confession? I really, really like Lady Gaga - Telephone ... that is a damn awesome song :wub:
Hate the video though. Too many breaks that cut the flow. But that song, damn it's good. I have not yet heard a modern and "super-well-known" pop song that sounds better.

The only better songs I know are from Michael Jackson and Falco ... and maybe Madonna...

Interestingly, the rest of Lady Gagas stuff is ... not that stellar :huh: ... but that Telephone song is genuinely awesome...

Ah well, can't let you go like that, can I? Here's another one that I love to death:

hee hee

I think pop is a very broad and interesting genre, there is so much good stuff that I'm not even sure where to begin. For me pop is what I listen to daily, my background music so to say. Psy/Goa is just for some specific moments, for example when I'm drawing or something, perhaps while doing something in photoshop and sometimes for forest walks. Currently I'm really enjoying the urban elements in todays pop, the emphasis on TR-808 type beats and so on. And also the weird and experimental vocal processing often employed nowadays, and the great use of synthesizers/plugins.

And if we break down pop into decades, well yeah it's an amazing amount of great music. :) 

12 hours ago, Basilisk said:

A few relatively recent selections... some more indie or underground, but still pop format.

(...)

I really like Ladytron, they've made some really cool synth-pop. Ace of Hz, Destroy Everything You Touch and Seventeen in particular!

Edited by RTP
just removed the quoted videos to reduce bandwidth :)

Ladytron has many great songs in their back catalog (and there are some pretty tight remixes around too). Er, we should probably be a little careful how much we use the quote feature in here though, the page could easily become difficult for some users to load ;)

19 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Ladytron has many great songs in their back catalog (and there are some pretty tight remixes around too). Er, we should probably be a little careful how much we use the quote feature in here though, the page could easily become difficult for some users to load ;)

Hehe true :P like the "what are you listening to right now thread". It gives instant flashbacks to the old dial-up internet days. 

6 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Hehe true :P like the "what are you listening to right now thread". It gives instant flashbacks to the old dial-up internet days. 

:)
I was so free and removed the vids from the quote - save bandwidth, save Co2 :D

Great selections though @Basilisk

And yes Ladytron is great. It took me a while to get used to, but I really like them - and also Marnie's sideproject.
Not really "popular pop" though...

2 minutes ago, RTP said:

:)
I was so free and removed the vids from the quote - save bandwidth, save Co2 :D

Great selections though @Basilisk

And yes Ladytron is great. It took me a while to get used to, but I really like them - and also Marnie's sideproject.
Not really "popular pop" though...

Thanks! It's good that we climate compensate some for the other big thread. :P Yes Ladytron has quite a distinctive style, it's very retro-inspired of course and that could be a threshold sometimes, depending on preferences. Sometimes they remind me of Röyksopp, but darker. They clearly seem inspired by the british new wave/synth pop synth bands of the 70's/80's. They have that sad cold emo vibe going at times.

7 hours ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

[Falco - Out of the Dark]

By the way ... this is popular pop ... and it's damn awesome.
Scary actually, because the song is full of strange meaning if you understand german ... Falco died a short time after finishing that one...

I like this:

beh ... if we are already there, one more: (with subtitles) ... may be a little NSFW, but the music is a.w.e.s.o.m.e.o.

A while back my girlfriend got obsessed with Daft Punk’s album Rand Access Memories & she came across this other song featuring them:

It’s more or less pop, although iTunes lists it under R&B. It’s pretty good. It also led us to another good song by The Weekend:

Yes The Weeknd has some really good stuff. The urban styles from Canada are mad cool. 

Some other hyper commercial urban flavoured pop:

From The Weeknd's latest album I liked this track among others, somekind of Coke anthem lol :lol: and not Diet Coke. Which is kinda amusing or cynical depending on how you view it, considering that a large chunk of his audience must be kids.

Ladytron and Röyksopp are really good. Both played here in Sweden at the legendary Arvika festival. Ladytron is my favorite, but when Robyn joined Röyksopp on the stage performing The Girl and the Robot, the crowd went nuts. Me too, lol. Here's a crappy video of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SnotxrLw

New pop music then, is Tame Impala pop? Maybe, maybe not. The latest album is great anyway. =))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utCjuKDXQsE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staffan said:

Ladytron and Röyksopp are really good. Both played here in Sweden at the legendary Arvika festival. Ladytron is my favorite, but when Robyn joined Röyksopp on the stage performing The Girl and the Robot, the crowd went nuts. Me too, lol. Here's a crappy video of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SnotxrLw

New pop music then, is Tame Impala pop? Maybe, maybe not. The latest album is great anyway. =))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utCjuKDXQsE

Cool, I assume they played Vision One as well? I love the squeeky bassline in that track, perhaps a Korg MS-20?