If you were rich..

What would you buy, and why? (This seems like a natural topic progression from that other topic regarding old tools and the quality they still impart)

Id buy alot of stuff thats for sure.. First and foremost Id get the JD-800. Or maybe the 990 cause its cheaper, and then get a controller for it. It sounds very particular and the main lead from Spiritual Healing was done in that thing, and thats probably the best lead sound ive ever heard. And theres just no way of getting the same Tonal qualites in any other synth; at least not currently avaliable. The Roland D-50 would probably come closest to the same tone; as the JD-800 had waveforms based off of the D-50.

Id also wanna get the JP8000 cause it sounds so fresh and clean, very digital but very nice. And it has a wonderful arpeggiator/sequencer. Id say its either Virus, JP8000 or Nord lead, and Id pick the JP.

Then Ill get the Fairchild 670 compressor from the 50s. That thing sounds so freaking good, its a tube compressor thats built like a tank (and looks like a tank, aswell). You just cant miss with that thing. Its even got M/S compression; something that staggers me they did all the way back then.

And finally Id buy the API 2500 compressor. Also a beast. Its a VCA similar to the SSL bus compressor; but it has much more control AND a sidechain HPF. So for that extra sub-punchiness. 

Then Id probably be set, the rest Ill make do with software =)

Total cost; roughly:  €56.800

Fairchild 670: €45.000

API 2500: €3000

JP-8000: €7500

JD-800: €1300

• Like 2

Don't need to wonder.

this year I've bought:

DSI Pro 3

Moog Matriarch 

Erica Synths Techno System

Pittsburgh Modular Voltage Research Lab

next on the list is Tascam Model 24, Waldorf Iridium & Novation Summit. 

I posted pics in my other thread about building a home studio. 

ive got a bunch of vintage shit as well buts it's all in storage which is currently Inaccessible due to the lockdown here in Melbourne Australia. 

• Like 1

If I had unlimtied funds I'd buy a separate room for a studio, at least 20 square meters, and invest few grands into a proper acoustic treatment and a good sub matching my monitors. Also a UAD card with full plugin package.

Synth-wise I'd probably buy Waldorf Quantum and Dave Smith OB-6. But most likely I would still use mostly software synths for actual tracks  :)

• Like 2

Room treatment and acoustics is definitely on my list too, that can never be perfect enough. :)

The UAD package would be dream.. But it's a freaking cash grab.. If you buy the cheapest, that's still very expensive you can run like 2-3 plugins at most. Then the dsp is exhausted. So you really gotta spend like, alot, to make it worth while. And then, would it really be worth it? Would it really sound that much better than stock/fabfilter/brainworx stuff? Maybe. Probably. :)

I would keep it really simple, I need a clear work space and less distractions. My focus would be where it really matters(psynews :ph34r:). And I would not get lost in collectors fantasies, as that can be a very time consuming hobby, albeit a very fun one. :) I would get the best possible studio monitors but not too big, as they shouldn't be played too loud and disturb neighbours. Most likely something from Genelec, since I've got good experience with them and I love their build quality. I would probably get 5 Genelecs so that I could use them for watching movies as well. Or perhaps more and setup an Atmos Surround system. Then the best possible soundcard, I've had RME Fireface 800 and Fireface UC, I had lots of issues with the Fireface UC, so I will never invest in RME again. So I'm more curious about testing a brand that I've only heard great things about, Universal Audio and specifically their flagships, the x8 and x16 Audio Interfaces. And yeah depending on the speaker configuration, the audio interface should preferably be able to handle that many speakers as well, or I would perhaps even need to invest in two separate systems, one for movies and one for the studio. :lol: For the best headphones option available what would that be? Heck whatever it is, give me two pairs, one for the phone and one for the studio. And why not customized as well lol add some cringy Michael Jackson Peter Pan motif and gold and diamond studded.

Next up I would invest in the best possible keyboard, and instead of a MIDI-only keyboard I would get something with an actual synth engine in it as well. Either the Waldorf Quantum or a Virus TI2 61 keys again, I have owned that and the Polar TI2 at various points in my life. And they are veritable swiss army knives for music production or just playing on as standalone instruments. Perhaps a Roland System-8 since I haven't had one of those yet. The build quality just seems so plastic compared to the Virus.

Then I would get a new macbook, as my current one is getting old. Perhaps a really large and good computer screeen for it. Or two as some seem to like, could be convenient for mixing sesssions, to have the mixer on one display and the arrange window on the other. And while we are at it, a third screen for psynews. :D Some proper room treatment/acoustics and a really luxurious and comfortable  office chair. And of course proper investment in great sample libraries and plugins, and that would be about it. I don't need vintage gear anymore, but if I had to chose It would be basic simple stuff, SH-101, TB-303, no drum machines, as they don't work with my current workflow. Much prefer software samplers for that. But they can of course be great fun to jam with synchronized to their synthesizer siblings.

I might've purchased a Roland JP-8080, mostly for nostalgic reasons. I almost forgot! I would actually get an Eventide Effects Processor, the Even­tide H9000. Which I would run some software synthesizers and the SH-101 through. Hmm and maybe I would get a Roland V-Synth XT again, as I really had some great fun with that one. Very good for voice sample manipulation. And a neat bonus with the included Roland D-50 expansion card built in, which I liked playing on but I would never use the D-50 in a track. It just has a way too recognizeable sound, and adds an instant 80's pop or ambient feel to anything. The pads and bells are lush though. 

To top all of this off I would then go on to hire Paris Hilton as my personal DJ-tutor, so I could become the best ever live performer. -_-

Taking all these dream options into account, I would still be more than happy with just a decent MIDI-keyboard, a couple of good monitors/sound card, and a good computer. As nowadays all the magic can be achieved within the computer. A standalone keyboard can be very inspiring though, to just test out ideas on without the computer, and just play away. :)

Roland Cloud seems like a good service, if one opts for the computer only approach. Lot's of goodies/recreations of their classics as well as newer stuff like the System-8 plugin version. And of course similar offerings from other companies such as Arturia or Native Instruments as well.roland_cloud_instruments_hero.jpg

Even more important than all of this would be some really good coffee/barista machine. For the inspiration.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:37 AM, astralprojection said:

What would you buy, and why? (This seems like a natural topic progression from that other topic regarding old tools and the quality they still impart)

Id buy alot of stuff thats for sure.. First and foremost Id get the JD-800. Or maybe the 990 cause its cheaper, and then get a controller for it. It sounds very particular and the main lead from Spiritual Healing was done in that thing, and thats probably the best lead sound ive ever heard. And theres just no way of getting the same Tonal qualites in any other synth; at least not currently avaliable. The Roland D-50 would probably come closest to the same tone; as the JD-800 had waveforms based off of the D-50.

Id also wanna get the JP8000 cause it sounds so fresh and clean, very digital but very nice. And it has a wonderful arpeggiator/sequencer. Id say its either Virus, JP8000 or Nord lead, and Id pick the JP.

Then Ill get the Fairchild 670 compressor from the 50s. That thing sounds so freaking good, its a tube compressor thats built like a tank (and looks like a tank, aswell). You just cant miss with that thing. Its even got M/S compression; something that staggers me they did all the way back then.

And finally Id buy the API 2500 compressor. Also a beast. Its a VCA similar to the SSL bus compressor; but it has much more control AND a sidechain HPF. So for that extra sub-punchiness. 

Then Id probably be set, the rest Ill make do with software =)

Total cost; roughly:  €56.800

Fairchild 670: €45.000

API 2500: €3000

JP-8000: €7500

JD-800: €1300

I think you added a zero too much to the price of the JP-8000 ;) besides that, great list! Definitely the less is more approach. And some careful considerations of each. I would actually enjoy more to have a set budget limit, so the choices became more worthwile and carefully considered. To strike the perfect balance and weigh pros and cons of each purchase. To achieve somekind of zen in the studio, where each piece has a deliberate place.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

I think you added a zero too much to the price of the JP-8000 ;) great list! Definitely the less is more approach. 

To achieve somekind of zen in the studio, where each piece has a deliberate place.

Lol whoops :D

exactly! yes youre right a set budget would be better, i mean theres no way in hell i would actually pay 50k for a tube compressor. :D and just imagine something breaks, thats just one big bummer then. and with all those components, its likely to have to be serviced from time to time. adding much more cost; for something that in the very end - is only slightly better than software. well okay in this case its a bit more than slightly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

Lol whoops :D

The Roland JP-8000 Euros. :lol: It's like a grand per sawtooth-waveform in the supersaw oscillator :P

• Haha 1