whats with california sunshine ripping off tracks

Celaripo

haha ive always wondered this. "wait a minute why does this sound exactly like rain" and that youtube video is truly strange; why would they do that? only thing i can guess is they was given the track by indoor.

and wasnt there one track that sounded very close to that yahel track or did i dream that. summer 89 remix? maybe not. either way, yes i have thought about this too.

• Haha 1

Israels psy/goa trance scene is rather well connected. So my guess is like AP's theory above, that there's somekind of gift/deal between the producers/dj. :) As for tracks sounding similar and what not, that could be like some hommage/inspiration. But I haven't listened to the tracks mentioned, we only get one video link/example. 

• Like 1

Rain is a California Sunshine remix of Electric Universe.
Not really sure how that's cribbing another person's track. Many do it.
(unless you're talking about a different track, which is possible, I do not have that discography memorized. I just Nasha a lot...)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, the goa constrictor said:

(unless you're talking about a different track, which is possible, I do not have that discography memorized. I just Nasha a lot...)

Yeah I mean the thread start is a bit vague and not particularly well-anchored it seems. Some true substance would be if the actual artists or something had complained. But none have to my knowledge, so I don't really get what the issue is? :)

I'm sure we would've heard something before, if there was anything fishy going on with these old tracks surely?

And yeah without audio examples so we can atleast compare and hear what it is you want to convey. The thread ends up feeling a bit speculative. If it's regarding a remix work like goa constrictor says, well then It's case solved I guess?

I think this thread is very good for things like this: 

https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/49038-hmm-i-think-ive-heard-that-before/

18 hours ago, the goa constrictor said:

Unti recently I thought Rain was a CS song but  the original is ElectricU and it's been also been remixed by Astral amongst others. Most of the times, at parties, I've heard the CS remix though.

Also this exists: Blue Planet Coperation - Midien (California Sunshine Vs Twina REMIX)
bit don't like it really.

I guess bad youtube titling is to blame.

but its california sunshines official youtube page, in the link in OP, and i dont see how that logic works (bad youtube titling). 

they didnt mention indoor in neither title nor description. it said

"Written & produced by DJ Miko vs Patrick (PTX) vs Amir Dvir (Illumination)"

when Indoor is Avi Algranati, Marko Goren, Ofer Dikovsky

i thought that was curious, and presumably so did celarpio

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, astralprojection said:

but its california sunshines official youtube page, in the link in OP, and i dont see how that logic works (bad youtube titling). 

they didnt mention indoor in neither title nor description. it said

"Written & produced by DJ Miko vs Patrick (PTX) vs Amir Dvir (Illumination)"

when Indoor is Avi Algranati, Marko Goren, Ofer Dikovsky

i thought that was curious, and presumably so did celarpio

Okey that sounds a bit weird indeed. Perhaps he uploaded the wrong mp3 from his p2p folder or something :ph34r::lol:. In the DAT-era there floated lots of tracks with the wrong names. People can be messy sometimes. Only one who can really answer this is the artists I think. Try sending a PM to DJ Miko on youtube or facebook? :)  And/or Space Cat (Avi Algranati). The track was uploaded 9 years ago, and there hasn't been much activity on the channel lately it seems. So yeah facebook is probably the best contact method.

https://www.facebook.com/mikogindos.californiasunshine

https://www.facebook.com/avialgranati.spacecat

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

yeah i just thought it was wierd, and not truly honest. Didnt mean to sound like an asshole btw :P 

No probs, my bad that didn't really pay attention and inspect the youtube channel. Theres just so much stuff uploaded by randoms on youtube, that it's quite a messy platform for music certainly. No guarantee whatsoever for anything beeing what the track titles say. And as seems to be the case here, not even from artists themselves. :D Anyways my bet is on human error. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 8:45 AM, psychedelic chipmunk said:

..which was before, the chicken or the egg, you tell me :D

Never was a fan of CS. His other project Adrenalin(n) Drum is nice, though.

they are all probably very close colleagues like astral mentioned, but its strange they didnt mention indoor in the credits.

you dont like Nasha either? thats a wonderful album imo. :)  at least 4 tracks on there are very nice.  jajo+tokyo underground :wub: 

Nice track btw. did I miss more of Indoor, seems they went under my radar "back in the days"?

Here album in question:

https://www.discogs.com/de/California-Sunshine-Rebirth/master/439140

Reviewer says: "Most of the songs are remakes, but what remakes they are" 

Seems to miss however some credit to original musicians if I am not mistaken? If I would make a "remake" I would certainly give credit.
Edit, just noted they have an album named "Let there be light".... :mellow:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Padmapani said:

but this time it's not a rip off like above. har el is half of california sunshine.

Does not matter much to me, if I remake an old (already "released" even if only online) track of myself, I would make that clear in the title and description...this only confuses and I do not like confusion.

15 hours ago, astralprojection said:

you dont like Nasha either? thats a wonderful album imo. :)  at least 4 tracks on there are very nice.  jajo+tokyo underground :wub: 

Hmm, I have Wonderland, which is some kind of compilation as far as I can tell, so I've heard Jajo, but I remember CS wasn't that memorable to me. I'll have to revisit CS, I guess. Prussky had his project Adrenalin Drum and that one I happen to like very much. Drawing blank on Gindos, I only know him from CS.

9 hours ago, psychedelic chipmunk said:

Hmm, I have Wonderland, which is some kind of compilation as far as I can tell, so I've heard Jajo, but I remember CS wasn't that memorable to me. I'll have to revisit CS, I guess. Prussky had his project Adrenalin Drum and that one I happen to like very much. Drawing blank on Gindos, I only know him from CS.

i dont really like their catalogue too much either, but nasha is nice. Id only really recommend tokyo underground* and jajo. but theres ofc more good tracks in there like x-wave, which is a bit (alot) tech-y similar to x-dream/delta type stuff

* that one is 5/5 definitely ^^ 

On 7/31/2020 at 11:01 PM, Trunksan said:

I guess bad youtube titling is to blame.

On 8/1/2020 at 3:03 PM, AstralSphinx said:

Theres just so much stuff uploaded by randoms on youtube, that it's quite a messy platform for music certainly. No guarantee whatsoever for anything beeing what the track titles say. (...)

23 hours ago, Multi-Media said:

(...) I would make that clear in the title and description...this only confuses and I do not like confusion.

Yes I agree - and I think that it is a large part of the issue.

Bad YouTube titling / labeling is a problem that is far underrated. It's genuinely awful sometimes - tracks under wrong names, wrong artists credited, typos in track names ... whenever I come across something like that, I try to make a comment that corrects it ... but in the rarest cases people even care about the comment or, even less likely, adapt the tile :(

However, I have heard that YouTube has a built in algorithm that detects tracks that are played in videos and automatically tips the artist with the royalties if the video is played and the song is listened to ... downside is, though, that for this to work and the royalties to flow you have to be registered with YouTube as an artist...
... or maybe that is only their plan and not yet fully realized, because why otherwise there are so many copyright strikes because of music played, sometimes also in the back of videos, that is copyrighted...?

youtube does indeed have an algorythym but i think you find it's possibly a mistake not by the artist but by the people who upload/write credits etc
but has anyone actually questioned who wrote the tracks?
alot of these guys were pretty close back in the day and often sat in on sessions and helped tweak each others knobs.
from what i understand their were alot of tracks laid down by other artists so in this case it's possible CS actually wrote the tracks, kind of like how prince and madonna back in the 80's wrote loads of songs for other pop artists and wern't credited with actually writing them

8 hours ago, technosomy said:

youtube does indeed have an algorythym but i think you find it's possibly a mistake not by the artist but by the people who upload/write credits etc
but has anyone actually questioned who wrote the tracks?
alot of these guys were pretty close back in the day and often sat in on sessions and helped tweak each others knobs.
from what i understand their were alot of tracks laid down by other artists so in this case it's possible CS actually wrote the tracks, kind of like how prince and madonna back in the 80's wrote loads of songs for other pop artists and wern't credited with actually writing them

Yeah lots of possibilites, even more so since it seems the track in question is unreleased? So how do people know the full writing credits if it's unreleased? I would assume that CS knows Avi Algranati, since he has mastered one of their albums I saw on discogs. One of the newer ones from 2014 or so.

I don't think there's shady business going on, if there were I'm sure indoor may have a problem with it. It's just so damn strange why the official (with a verified mark) YouTube of cs would not mention them at all, while still writing the (incorrect?) credits, it drives me a little bonkers thinking about it :huh:

And just out of curiosity what algorithm are you guys speaking of specifically?