Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Mantra604    25

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    119
7 minutes ago, Mantra604 said:

 

Rofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Starkraver    878

Why psytrance has a bright future :)
 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Veracohr    115
6 hours ago, Mantra604 said:

 

Oh man, I remember the gnashing of teeth over triplets! Like they were an affront to human decency. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
recursion loop    542

Compared to some Vini Vici stuff and similar, I think Future Ducks of London is actually a decent track.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i meant the youtube video itself. the meme so to speak. Loud did that? :D 

 

edit: lol youre right, haha okay thats strange. That now seems a bit cocky instead of funny. I thought it was just a random memer complaining about the state of psytrance who did that video. Not an artist wanting to say "hey, we can do it better" : ( that was an anticlimax .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    119
1 hour ago, astralprojection said:

i meant the youtube video itself. the meme so to speak. Loud did that? :D 

 

edit: lol youre right, haha okay thats strange. That now seems a bit cocky instead of funny. I thought it was just a random memer complaining about the state of psytrance who did that video. Not an artist wanting to say "hey, we can do it better" : ( that was an anticlimax .

Yeah, upon inspecting the youtube channel I got a bitter taste lol

So they basically made a meme of the same genre they work in? There is playlist there with what sounds like full-on remixes of goa classics. 

Way to go with the rather unimaginative butchering of a classic tune IMO. I feel like the meme is either a rather well thought out way of generating a lot of views to their channel or something. Or some way of distancing themselves and feeling like their superior to what else generic full-on is out there? 

The context/idea behind the meme feels a bit weird indeed. :blink: Is it like some self-concious attempt att recognizing what the tropes are which they must know by heart now? Or just a way of poking and making fun of their DJ/Producer colleagues within the full-on scene?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Multi-Media    23

EH? I always thought the Future Ducks would be some guy in London doing a parody of newstyle Psy and also of the Future Sound Of London.
Seems to go deeper than I thought... so this thread brought some interesting info at last....B)

I was bit amazed btw. when I posted in a Trance thread in another forum, there seem only to be a few guys liking or even knowing (real) psytrance. I postet 2 cool examples from X-Dream and Man With No Name - or what I thought would be good examples. But no one commented in the positive about them. However later I posted the Ducks Video and someone said, even if this seems like a parody he fuckin´likes the sound :P 

@AstralSphinx

The track you posted sounds quite minimal too me. I am even more confused by new goa genres then I am about industrial I must say. Eg. what is full-on exactly this name does not imply minimal for my understanding.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
recursion loop    542

That Etnica remix sounds totally great to me.

 

Regarding the Future Ducks track, i love it :) I does have a good dose of self-irony.  I don't believe it was made for self-promotion or  to take the piss out of the scene, rather I guess they have collected all the stereotypical criticism about progressive/minimal and made a track of these stereotypes, just for the fun of it. 

 

Certainly LOUD can't be accused of the lack of creativity

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    119
1 hour ago, recursion loop said:

That Etnica remix sounds totally great to me.

 

Regarding the Future Ducks track, i love it :) I does have a good dose of self-irony.  I don't believe it was made for self-promotion or  to take the piss out of the scene, rather I guess they have collected all the stereotypical criticism about progressive/minimal and made a track of these stereotypes, just for the fun of it. 

 

Certainly LOUD can't be accused of the lack of creativity

 

Aiit sounds fair enough, I'm not invested in the full on/psy/minimal/prog scene, so I have no clue really. Loud's music is quite far from what I listen to, I can still recognize that he knows what he is doing with regards to the sound quality of things. But yeah my two cents :) I'm a goa-head. The track you posted doesn't really change much in that regard for me, I found it rather boring, melodically and drive-wise. I miss some lush pads and euphoric melodies which can elevate my mood. I don't like when the tracks take too many turns and lose momentum by introducing talking samples and breaks. I just want a non-stop assault of melodies/303 stuff :D The exception to that for me was perhaps the Psysex-Expression of Rage album and the Infected Mushroom-Classical Mushroom album, on those I think the samples just fit very well, but yeah that was another era. It was a new and fresh approach then.

But hey I respect everybody's differing taste, and appreciate to get to hear some new stuff outside of my comfort zone every now and then as well. That's the beauty of the psy/goa scene, there's so many different styles and ways to express yourself. And that's why I personally believe that psy/goa is here to stay, it can't really stagnate when there is so much different style experimentation taking place and fusing of genres/styles. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
recursion loop    542

I see, I find most goa boring and sounding the same :P (with some great exceptions tho)

 

I'm mostly a full-on/prog guy myself. Yeah, tastes differ.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    119
14 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

I see, I find most goa boring and sounding the same :P (with some great exceptions tho)

 

I'm mostly a full-on/prog guy myself. Yeah, tastes differ.

 

btw you who seem to be in the know about modern psy, can you recommend anything that is dark and melodic? I wanna explore if there might be some new good stuff out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
recursion loop    542
7 minutes ago, AstralSphinx said:

btw you who seem to be in the know about modern psy, can you recommend anything that is dark and melodic?

Idk, in psy context "dark" and "melodic" seem to be mutually exclusive.

 

In my book, dark and melodic might be something like this (dark not as in darkpsy, but as an opposite to happy/euphoric)

Or this

None of these are exactly modern tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, Mantra604 said:

 

 

That was beautiful.
I can't believe I hadn't seen that until now

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, recursion loop said:

 

 

Regarding the Future Ducks track, i love it :) I does have a good dose of self-irony.  I don't believe it was made for self-promotion or  to take the piss out of the scene, rather I guess they have collected all the stereotypical criticism about progressive/minimal and made a track of these stereotypes, just for the fun of it. 

thats a good take on it, and i suppose youre right maybe i was a bit harsh on them :) it was a funny video i give them that; id just hate for it to be some sort of self promo . not sure why but it doesnt sit right. but your take sounds more plausible ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This just popped up in my Facebook Memories

Feels prescient...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Padmapani    444
On 7/9/2020 at 5:35 PM, Multi-Media said:


@AstralSphinx

The track you posted sounds quite minimal too me. I am even more confused by new goa genres then I am about industrial I must say. Eg. what is full-on exactly this name does not imply minimal for my understanding.

 

that track has nothing to do with fullon. loud is basically progressive and their remix of trip tonite ticks all the boxes for the especially cheap and boring kind of progressive that likes to call itself "futureprog".

this is fullon:
old tracks from fullon's golden time (ca. 2003-2004) :
1 2

new tracks:
1 2

pretty decent stuff to say the least. (as long as we forget about the ultra-cheesy pop-fullon we had to endure around 2008. let's not talk about that).

 

unrelated to the topic. i'll just ask again here because more people might see it: does anyone have an idea how to get back to the desktop version of psynews? i've been stuck in the mobile skin for some time now and reading as well as posting is extremely difficult when you can only see half of your reply (in a huge font) on a 27" display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Padmapani    444
On 7/9/2020 at 7:51 PM, recursion loop said:

Idk, in psy context "dark" and "melodic" seem to be mutually exclusive.

not necessarily. it depends on how you define and and melodic.

is this dark and melodic?

certainly dark, but is there enough melody to be called melodic?

or this?:

certainly darkpsy derived and melodic (esp. the latter third), but is it really dark?

or this?:

a darker vibe, melodic, but it's the kind of goa trance that's more chaotic than anything else.

btw: i don't find asia tribe dark at all. imho it falls in that sweet spot that's neither happy nor dark, where most "cosmic" or truly psychedelic music can be found.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Multi-Media    23

@Padmapani

That Sillicon Sound track was one of my faves years ago, but also due to my Blade Runner obsession, did not age so well.... Interesting that Talamasca and E.Universe count also (now?) in the full-on department, did not know that. Guess their early stuff was just named goa for us :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    119
18 hours ago, Padmapani said:

that track has nothing to do with fullon. loud is basically progressive and their remix of trip tonite ticks all the boxes for the especially cheap and boring kind of progressive that likes to call itself "futureprog".

this is fullon:
old tracks from fullon's golden time (ca. 2003-2004) :
1 2

new tracks:
1 2

pretty decent stuff to say the least. (as long as we forget about the ultra-cheesy pop-fullon we had to endure around 2008. let's not talk about that).

 

unrelated to the topic. i'll just ask again here because more people might see it: does anyone have an idea how to get back to the desktop version of psynews? i've been stuck in the mobile skin for some time now and reading as well as posting is extremely difficult when you can only see half of your reply (in a huge font) on a 27" display.

 

Thanks gonna listen and re-educate myself lol :D I'm having quite a hard time hearing the difference between some of the newer iterations of these styles, it used to be easy. To make things a bit more confusing, there seems to be a lot of techno influences thrown in for good measure as well across the board. I was at a forest party yesterday, and I had problems hearing what was what, I mean besides the most obnoxious in-your-face full-on stuff, with the shuffle and changed time signature/triplets sections. Those were exactly like the Future Ducks of London meme. :D

 And atleast here in Sweden, the parties overall have more varied lineups than before, the standard parties here now have psy/full-on and techno at the same venue. So I can see why the cross-pollination occurs. There used to be, like psy/fullon/progg and sometimes goa. Those were like the only kids that played together. At yesterdays party they even played something called "future-house" which to my ears sounded kinda hillarious, reminded me of euro-dance, and felt a bit out of context. So this left me wondering, which parties in Sweden plays goa nowadays? I didn't hear any of that at yesterdays event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...