digital structures, iboga, plusquam

I have now thoroughly digested most of the cds off the digital structures, iboga, and plusquam labels. These are my three favorite progressive psy trance labels....and prog-psy is my favorite kind of trance. But now i am wondering where to turn next and what other labels/artists that set forth this standard of quality? I am familiar with all the old masters of full-on: hallucinogen, infected, cosma, psysex, logic bomb, hux flux, shpongle ect.... and I have spent a lot of time listening to samples on psyshop and downloading/buying other progressive artists that are not on those three labels (atmos and saiko-pod from the spiral trax label are two favorites), but because psynews.org no longer is updating reviews i feel like there are a lot of good artists that may be slipping through my fingers. also i feel like i am running out of room to explore in the psychedelic realm and am curious to know if anyone can drop the names of other non-psy progressive trance artists that are good.

thanks

erik

i also forgot to mention that besides psy-trance i listen to IDM/ambient (Autechre, Boards of Canada, ect....), classical, jazz, and a few mainstream artists. So feel free to post musical recommendation from accross the board.

peace.

Guest DDrum

www.trance.net has the latest reviews...

www.isratrance.com has a very informative forum (more alive than this one)), including a heavy used section for reviews. Another plus is that many artists post there.

Guest lumpi

I´d go for Interzone rec, Zenon rec, Creamcrop rec, Sub Machine and last but definitely not least Databass if you´re into darker prog as well.

Guest etsam

Erik : may be you want to give Free Form a try, they had a few releases

I personally think they are Great!! Even they been released for some times.

*Box of Frog __ Floor Diving

*Obient -- Music for ISS

*Klangstraler Projekt.

* Deep Dive Corp.......... Etc.

hope you like it

I am too looking for some different music, digital structure, spiral trax, iboga

are good, but not exciting any more.

ok names of some progressive artists cds, and short descriptions:

Kooler - open (side project of Sebastian from son kite, excellent stuff, maybe little more housy and percussive than son kite)

Vision and Canedy - another life (very very good housy prog)

upcoming: Check out buzzmonx when it comes out.. surely it will be a blast, if it continues with the level of earlier stuff.. and maybe krueger and coyle too.

and compilation:

maybe try V.A. - chrome (submachine records) ... A little more darker and ´straight´ progressive, but I like it (specially tracks from tetratkys, mindfly and p.h.a.t)

agreed with the suggestion above, try medium (midjium?) records too, see if it interests you

oh yeah and check out the latest compilation from domo records: The swiss connection

very good stuff

Guest Drat Mafia

i just can't get enough of Psybration Fundamental Progression on AP Records. it is such a monster, not 1 bad track on there for me. Analogue Pussy are not my thing at all but check the record label.

Try some stuff on Sunset Records, i really like compilation Sunset Boulevard 2 and Prooved.

Jum Jam records got some nice releases, and check the sound samples of the new Morganixx track coming out soon...i WANT this track, sounds very very cool.

Fitalic got some good 12" on Vapour Recordings, more prog house side of things. havent heard the new 1 on Sprout.

That's about all i can think of in a minute, check them out.

Happy shopping ;)

"Copy kills Music"

"Fundamental Progression on AP Records" <-- my friend said this comp is more full-on´ish, noisy, even the tegma track.. I havent heard it myself though.. is it true?

Guest Drat Mafia

it is full on for progressive, but without busting into those annoying recyvcled bass lines and shitty 303 and sync sounds that dominate every "full on" release. i won't get anal about genres cos that's just anooying. it's got some fast stuff, it's got some slow stuff at the end. it's got some noisy stuff (zerotonine) and some funky stuff (magnetrixx).

all in all it's a very fucking cool release an i recommend u buy it no matter what genre u prefer ;)

hehe nice.. dont worry I understood what you mean, thanks for the recommendation =)

hey,

thanks for all the recommendations guys, this list should definately keep me busy for awhile.

the vision and canedy album i'm already familiar with and it is indeed very good stuff.....

i also just stumbled accross kooler and i will have to buy it because i trust the son kite boys to release only the highest quality of music:)

v/a-chrome and the swiss connection are already on my computer but i have yet to give them a listen, and see if they are worth my dinero (i definately will now).

most of the rest of this stuff i have not heard of and that is a good thing!

erik

Guest grahf

I'm feeling charitable today so here goes:

you, sir erik, seem to be at the same musical horizon as me: an electronic freak on the verge of exhausting the possibilities of electronic music. I love prog-psy very much myself, I definitely consider it to be the most interesting type of trance currently being produced (I like old goa too, but that's mostly a thing of the past, and full-on really doesnt do it for me).

Music taste is a constantly evolving thing. The minute you make it static, is the moment you're locked into nostalgia. For example, 60's acid rock was great, and I still listen to a good bit of it, but psychedelic music has come a long way since then. Similarly, all the old school goa freaks are worshipping a static form of music and need to move on.

You could always go back to the fundamentals. The Orb, Underworld, Leftfield, and Fluke. Electronic music wouldn't sound the same if it weren't for these guys.

I find almost all house music to be rather boring in comparison to quality trance, so that's not an option for exploration.

Have you looked into drum and bass or breaks? Most of the stuff popular in the UK and US club scenes is crap, but there are a few gems in the rough. LTJ Bukem and his Good Lookin' label do a lot of nice ambient or jazzy DnB.

Something I have been listening to a lot lately are live bands that produce something similar in vibe to the electronic music that used to be my mainstay. Here are three bands: Particle, Umphree's McGee, and Sound Tribe Sector Nine. Particle and Umphree's sound some-thing like high energy house with slightly trippy synths and a definitely "funk" in the bassline that most electronic dance music lacks. Sound Tribe, on the other hand is something along the lines of live drum and bass or breakbeat that sounds oh-so-heavenly. Like the best Ozric Tentacles or Shpongle tracks, you will scarcely believe your ears as the music unfolds itself out of your speakers and melts in your mind.

Also, if you like autechre and boards of canada, you may get a kick out of Tortoise. Their music is very subtle and unexpectedly psychedelic. Listening while in altered states reveals new layers of precise complexity. I dunno how else to describe it; they play with energies similar those of IDM and psy-chill artists, but from a completely different angle.

You say you like jazz? Try some Medeski, Martin, and Wood, a very tight 3 piece ensemble (just drums, bass, and organ... plus the occasional sample) Sounds stylish, futuristic, and loungey. Sounds just electronic enough to give me points of reference from which I can appreciate what their trying to do. One such good point of reference: Amon Tobin.

Whats even better is that with a bit of patience and ingenuity you can get live shows of most of these artists (all the live-acts considered to be "jam-bands") through BitTorrent at http://bt.etree.org.

ahhh, a new field of exploration.....thank you grahf.

I'm listening to sound tribe sector nine at the moment. It is hard to say what album I downloaded, it just says seasons 01, but tis some pretty pimp shit indeed.

I've also been downloading a fair bit of stuff from the rest of your live band list, but as of yet, I haven't had time to extensively check much of it out....... I’ve heard a couple free tracks from Umphree Mcgee's website and enjoyed the first few songs off one of Medeski, Martin, and Wood's cds..... Amon Tobin and Tortise I've known about for awhile now. Amon certainly whips up some fine tunes and, although I’ve known of Tortise for awhile, I must admit I have not gave them enough critical listening time to offer much of an opinion (I'm only really familiar with a few of their tracks). Anyway, I’ll be sure to check out more of their stuff, .......and the others as well….. I do get the impression that with all the live sets released by these jam bands there will be plenty for me to chew on ;)