Classic Goa Trance basses/leads/FX recreated in modern software

• 2 weeks later...

im not gonna lie, i was in shock. A recreation of the JD800 is something Ive been dreaming about since at least 2012. 

Then they made it in software earlier this year, and I was really hyped - but it requires a Pro membership to Roland Cloud so f that.

Then this came out last night and holy crap. What a dream to be alive. Yall better start making some old school 90s goa now, you got no reason not too, the JD800 is like the Father of goa trance or something. I will likely never afford it regardless of its very very accesible price of 400 dollars. Or at least that is what I could find so far- it seems not a price is really set yet? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Absolutely brutal sound for a digital one. I’m thinking of getting a NL1, only had the NL2 and NL3 long ago. When he demos the osc sync+FM it sounds instantly like some early Psysex or something from the Flying Rhino VA Air Born. I’ve been trying to recreate the characteristic squidgy nord lead sound on a couple of VA plugins. Sylenth gets close on some lfo fx sounds, and Dune quite close for HP leads. I don’t have the Disco DSP. Anyone found any other plugin that gets close filter wise?

I’ve managed to get about 70% "close" to the HP lead sound on Infected Mushroom - Return of The Shadows on Dune. The MS-20 plugin got quite close too. And my guess would be that IM were inspired by Hallucinogens MS-20 HP leads in Deranger.

Reason Europa can get really close to the Nord Lead sound as well I’ve found. Not strange considering it was coded by Peter Jubel who coded the original Nord Lead as well. :) It can sound very close to the Nord Lead 3 and Nord Modulars. The Karplus-strong physical modelling algo in particular is very interesting for plucked string/metallic FM sounds. It also has a Korg MS-20 filter emulation, very useful.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/reasons-europa-synthesizer?amp

Very interesting in-depth Europa video with one of the Reason studios developers:

• Like 1

Did anyone try this Nord Lead 2x emulation out in Reaktor?

http://forum.isratrance.com/if-you-want-a-nord-lead-2x-in-your-computer/

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/6673/

Gonna try it out now, I really need some sync noise. :D From the video it sounds a bit less 3D than the original, but it will suffice I think. In the final part of the video he demos some more psy/noise type sounds. 

There's also this one:

And a couple others, not sure which one is best yet. The one by Stephan Becker is supposed to be good as well.

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, Magus Knight said:

Absolutely brutal sound for a digital one. I’m thinking of getting a NL1, only had the NL2 and NL3 long ago. When he demos the osc sync+FM it sounds instantly like some early Psysex or something from the Flying Rhino VA Air Born. I’ve been trying to recreate the characteristic squidgy nord lead sound on a couple of VA plugins. Sylenth gets close on some lfo fx sounds, and Dune quite close for HP leads. I don’t have the Disco DSP. Anyone found any other plugin that gets close filter wise?

I have a Nord as rack version it is quite cool / fun to play around with... can recommend. But maybe a bit outdated these days (if one believes that something like outdated even exists re. music instruments :P)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 1:25 PM, Multi-Media said:

I have a Nord as rack version it is quite cool / fun to play around with... can recommend. But maybe a bit outdated these days (if one believes that something like outdated even exists re. music instruments :P)

Well yeah you said it yourself. In terms of features it might’ve fallen behind some to the current offerings sure. But yeah I don’t believe vintage instruments can become dated in that sense. There’s almost always a place/use for certain instruments. 

And besides the most simple vintage instruments are sometimes the most enduring classics. All the simple monosynths for example, like the 101, 303 etc. Would surely be ”dated” as well if that would be the case. ;)

Anyways time moves along relentlessly, it feels almost as yesterday when these VA-synths were first released. Then people complained that they didn’t sound analog enough and what not (and some still do complain about that) But now these same instruments have a vintage status, and I would argue that if one really looks for the specific Nord sound. The original is still the best, it has very nice performance controls, almost like a violin in terms of expressiveness with the wooden pitch bend.

And yeah for this specific thread, ”dated/vintage” sounds are the main objective. :) Since it concerns the recreation of classical sounds.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Work in progress inspired by Hallucinogen and Psychaos, I tried to recreate some of the classical sounds, SH-101, MS-20, and the old school leads/pads/FX etc.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Parasphere said:

Work in progress inspired by Hallucinogen and Psychaos, I tried to recreate some of the classical sounds, SH-101, MS-20, and the old school leads/pads/FX etc.

Pretty much spot on, can really feel the Hallucinogen vibe!

• Like 1

@Parasphere

very cool sounds. how did you make the lead at 0:54 ? sound just like the trancespotter lead. the squareish bassline is nice and reminds me alot of MFG - peaceful relaxation. in fact i think its even the same key :) and very similar pattern. those octave jumps are delicious. only thing i dont quite feel is the kick but thats subjective.

the watery "snare", aswell as the hihats, are also on point. impressive stuff.

• Like 1

@siliconix @astralprojection

Thanks!, yes it might be the same key as MFG indeed, in the key of D, very common key I think for old school goa. I used the same key and BPM as Snakey Shaker 142bpm. The snare is MS-20, I think Simon did something like that in the track LSD. One could animate it as well with some filter or lfo/envelope at certain intervals as well to make it a bit more interesting perhaps. The bassline is TAL-101,  the leads MS-20 and Dune3. In Dune3 I've have tried to replicate the MS-20 HP Filter, as it has a bit clearer sound/cleaner OSC than the MS-20 plugin by Arturia atleast. The real thing probably is the best anyways. :D I will continue mixing on it in my cousins studio when time permits that.

The kick I think you might've liked better perhaps how it sounded at first, it sounded more like a Crop Circles kick, but I distorted it to make it a bit bigger like the kick in Space Pussy. I can show how it sounds undistorted later. The track at first was actually more Crop Circles in tone, it had more cosmic birdlike background FX.  And overall a more mysterious/dense atmosphere.

Thanks for listening!

On 8/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, astralprojection said:

@Paraspherecool but how did you make that lead at 0:54? curious about that one! print screen of your ms-20 maybe? :)

Sure no probs gonna boot up Logic tonight and take a print.

Btw speaking of MS-20 patches, one sound in particular I'm researching is a sound in Neuro Fluro Sponge. Which I think is MS-20, I could be wrong tho. But since the MS-20 patch bay gives quite a variety to the near infinite possibilities for preset variation. I might never find out exactly how Simon had his MS-20 patched at that particular moment in time. :) The sound in question is somekind of noise/LFO pitch modulation, sounding almost like crying "alien dolphins" or something to that effect. The closest I've gotten is with some routing of the pink noise.

If you listen to the track in question you'll understand what sound I'm referring to. I've had no luck dialing in something similar on the ARP-2600 plugin so I think the MS-20 is the one, since I've managed to coax out something vaguely similar.

Is it one of these two leads  you mean?

MS-20

Dune

Retrologue sounds like a fun challenge, keep us updated on the results. I'm playing around with Malström in Reason creating some dark voice synths.

MS-20.png

Dune.png

1 hour ago, astralprojection said:

I don't think either of those sound exactly the same, it was the one you used in the track above at 0.54. They both sound similar though.

This one? Don't mind the clicky envelope. :D I'm not sure what synth the CL Highpass is based on, but it's very similar to the MS-20 HP or a bit like the Nord Lead perhaps, very squidgy.

LD Booh!

LD Booh!.png

I forgot an important part of the patches namely the mod routing and LFO-section, the pitch fine in particular to give it a bit of an unstable crying quality:

The LFO to filter obviously just for manual automation, and not necessary for the patch itself.

Mod-Matrix:

Mod Routing.png

LFO-section:

LFO-section.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Parasphere said:

This one? Don't mind the clicky envelope. :D I'm not sure what synth the CL Highpass is based on, but it's very similar to the MS-20 HP or a bit like the Nord Lead perhaps, very squidgy.

LD Booh!

LD Booh!.png

Yes that's the one :) so it's a dune 3 patch? 

Yes I assume the lfo is a big part of the sound. 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone up for a 303 challenge? For example only allowed to use 303 for for main melodies/main sequences, but perhaps optional on bass? Would be really fun to only use the new Arturia Acid V, to hear what people could make with it in Psy-trance/Goa-trance.