Goa trance producers of color

Phluff

Please don't make this a conversation about race. But does anybody know who among goa trance producers are people of color?

I understand the irony of bringing up a discussion on race and then saying that I don't want to have a conversation on race, but what I mean is I don't want to have one of those toxic internet conversations on race.

this is a very strange one, when you ask dont make it about race when you specifically made it about race lol

i think its quite strange to sort of deduce who is from where - it doesnt seem like that would matter as far as race go - more like its interesting to see what country produces what styles.. 

11 hours ago, psytones said:

We're all people of colour..

The end. & PLUR.

Now that this has become one of "those" conversations on race, I must reply on behalf of the people of color who may or may not be watching in on this conversation, hoping to find representation in an overwhelmingly white community. "People of color" is a term applied to non-white people, who are the target of personal and institutional racism in most of the world. Racism is discrimination plus power.

8 hours ago, astralprojection said:

this is a very strange one, when you ask dont make it about race when you specifically made it about race lol

i think its quite strange to sort of deduce who is from where - it doesnt seem like that would matter as far as race go - more like its interesting to see what country produces what styles.. 

I corrected my statement to acknowledge that sharing the names of black and brown members of the trance community necessarily involves talking about people who are not white. But that's where I intended the conversation to end.

And skin color is an issue. It is on account of non-white skin color that a good portion and in some cases the majority of many countries' populations are treated as second-class citizens to the dominant culture, which is mostly comprised of white people. In the States and in most predominantly white countries, black and brown people are disproportionately targeted by the legal and other social systems and bear a large burden that goes underacknowledged by society at large.

I hope that you understand that I only wanted to acknowledge the contributions of certain people who face varying levels of obstacles in succeeding or even surviving in a lot of areas of life. Theirs is a unique burden to bear in general society. I hope that isn't the case in this diverse community of hippies.

16 hours ago, Phluff said:

Please don't make this a conversation about race. But does anybody know who among goa trance producers are people of color?

This conversation never goes to plan. People of colour is a weird one here, do we count Eastern Europeans? I wouldn't put Romanians in the same class as British people as far as skin coloured privilege goes. If you like you could look to Indian producers of trance but then you have to deal with a messy caste system (Thanks Colonial Britain). North Macedonians haven't always had it easy and Israeli's might traditionally have had the most hurdles to jump through. 

The whole concept is uncomfortable in the context of Europe and Asia as prejudice is not handed out the same as in the states and Australia.

Also, not to knock the topic, I really don't mean this negatively, but I've always imagined Pystrance to exist on a plane outside of that of the regular world's rules and judgements. In Pystrance land we can just be.

But you're just asking a simple question, not anything that should have provoked the above ramble. To answer: I don't know of any specifically African American or African producers, plenty of dj's though. Plenty of producers in India, plenty of producers in Japan, plenty of producers in South America. But I get the feeling these aren't the communities you're after.

the concept of multiple human races is pretty outdated and contradicts scientific understanding. it is not officially used in any european country i know of (as it is in the u.s. . over there people from spain even are considered racially distinct from portuguese, what utter bullshit). so this makes this thread about producers with darker skin colour and that could be anyone from italian to isreali to indian to nigerian.

personally, i don't care at all about the skin colour of producers and therefore see no need to differentiate (as long as we put people into boxes based on arbitrary criteria there will be no equality). after all, under blacklight everyone has a dark face and glowing teeth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tsotsi said:

But you're just asking a simple question, not anything that should have provoked the above ramble. To answer: I don't know of any specifically African American or African producers, plenty of dj's though. Plenty of producers in India, plenty of producers in Japan, plenty of producers in South America. But I get the feeling these aren't the communities you're after.

I'm looking for any and all people of color, Israelis included. Basically anyone who's the target of racial discrimination in the States and in Britain, at least.

I would also extend this to include LGBT producers, but I wouldn't want to invite the ire of any homophobes.

6 minutes ago, Phluff said:

I'm looking for any and all people of color, Israelis included. Basically anyone who's the target of racial discrimination in the States and in Britain, at least.

I would also extend this to include LGBT producers, on a completely different topic.

This feels like a weird list to compile, I don't normally think of artists this way, you didn't specifically ask me though so I'll shut up and get you started with a few. I wont go into the Israel list a great deal as there are simply so many. 

LGBT I only know of Chi-A.D (Certainly worth looking at as the album Earth Crossing is just about one of the best.

Neville DMello is N3v1773 (Mumbai India)
Hector Stuardo is Ovnimoon (Chile)
Matan Levi & Nadav Elhadad are Sykespico (Israel)

Actually really hard to find a lot more as i'm sure you've noticed that the scene doesn't revolve around the artist as much as it does the music itself. On another note, that's what i love about this music, it must be the least ego-centric genre of them all. I wonder if that's why Bandcamp writers have a hard time promoting any Psytrance releases, they can't write up a fluff piece about the importance of a voice in the scene yada yada bla blah.

You can find hundreds if not thousands of Israel artists, I wont list any here. Other artists rarely have photos on discogs which makes it hard to know. 

Damn, my contribution to this thread has a net-benefit of Zero. Goodluck, much love.

32 minutes ago, Tsotsi said:

Damn, my contribution to this thread has a net-benefit of Zero. Goodluck, much love.

No, you hit the nail on the head. It can be an awkward topic in some ways, but I would say it still needs to be had, because it affects every person of color. Also, sorry for writing/deleting/writing again the part about LGBT producers, as noted above I didn't want to attract any negative attention to people who might be put at risk. I hope this conversation about race doesn't do that, either...

And Chi-A.D. was the soundtrack for my second and most influential Goawakening.

I hope the Psy scene is (for lack of a better term) a safe place for people that can handle the terrifyingly mind bending music, but I think part of that is because the bullshit of the outside world is left at the door. Perhaps it's idealistic of me to think that psytrance can only be the release that it is by avoiding such topics. Let the techno and house music scene make their rules and pay their dues, let the psy scene stay free from it all.

As you can probably tell from the posts above, Europeans don't see the world the same way as Americans and are justified in their 'We are all one colour' thinking as nationalism plays a bigger role in the game of prejudice than racism does (With exceptions of the UK and some other places). Since so much of this scene puts the artist second to the music and this kind of conversation requires us to flip that around it ultimately turns this conversation into the antithesis of Psytrance. Just an opinion, I thoroughly enjoy these conversations btw.

That's interesting. I've read one book by a black American woman since the killing of George Floyd, and I'm currently reading one by a black British woman. So it's interesting that you say the UK is an exception to the general rule of nationalism over racism in Europe. Not to say that Britain doesn't have its own nationalism problem, because it does, but the narrative given by this author is that racism is still very much a factor in the way she leads her daily life.

It is such an unhealthy big problem here, and I sadly hear so little about other parts of the world sometimes, so that my conception of racism around the world may not be as truly representative as I thought. I still don't think it's easy to be black anywhere other than Africa, and even then you have places like South Africa and a bunch of colonies where there's that intense strain.

@Phluff I've been to the States a few times and have always been taken back by the intense racial language crackers use with me thinking that as an Aussie i'll be on board (I guess that's a problem in itself). Even in predominately 'non-white' neigbourhoods I've had honkies use the most intense racist language in casual conversation, I am normally pretty understanding and empathetic but I truly don't understand the mindset. Especially when it's a downtrodden drunk dude who sits in the same economic class as the people they are insulting, sometimes you just want to turn people upside down and shake them. 

BTW, maybe i'm reading you wrong but I was trying to say that the UK as a rule bases prejudice over race rather than nationalism. So yea your author is on the money.

@Tsotsi Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. It's pedestrian here. I live in a pretty insular community, composed primarily of progressives, so I don't hear that much at all compared with when I lived in the city. But our little oasis is surrounded by rural towns, so we get a lot of Trump supporters and Confederate flag-wavers coming into town for work and stuff.

What I was meaning to say was that the author of this book, Reni Eddo-Lodge, says that in Britain, racism is a big problem and nationalism as well. British nationalists are just as afraid of immigrants as the American ones, just as racist, and just as shameless.

Showed this thread to my wife who's a "person of color" being the child of an Indonesian Chinese & Malaysian Chinese immigrant, who also has severe cerebral palsy caused at birth by an extremely racist  white doctor (you should read the court transcripts) "I didn't perform CPR as her skin color made it difficult to see her turning blue." Is just one such statement...

Anyway, I still have no idea how it must feel but have seen her suffer racism many times over our 22 years together, and now our kids get spat at & receive racism almost daily for being mixed dogs (Most common Statement at the school playground).

She said as soon as you say person of color you've made it about race & racism. Why does such a thread need to be made? Conversations like this increase division by merely suggesting being a person of color is something unique. 

I could go one but just delete this thread please. "People of color" shouldn't be a discussion. It should just be "people".

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bartzabel said:

Showed this thread to my wife who's a "person of color" being the child of an Indonesian Chinese & Malaysian Chinese immigrant, who also has severe cerebral palsy caused at birth by an extremely racist  white doctor (you should read the court transcripts) "I didn't perform CPR as her skin color made it difficult to see her turning blue." Is just one such statement...

Anyway, I still have no idea how it must feel but have seen her suffer racism many times over our 22 years together, and now our kids get spat at & receive racism almost daily for being mixed dogs (Most common Statement at the school playground).

She said as soon as you say person of color you've made it about race & racism. Why does such a thread need to be made? Conversations like this increase division by merely suggesting being a person of color is something unique. 

I could go one but just delete this thread please. "People of color" shouldn't be a discussion. It should just be "people".

I don't know what to say. I can't say how sorry I am that this has caused your wife pain. I guess this is a conversation that not everyone wants to have who is affected by it. It's the number one conversation taking place in the States right now, so I thought it might be one that it would benefit this board to have.