Sandman - Spawn

Trolsk

Most of you know Sandman's excellent tune Spawn from Blue Room's Made on Earth compilation, released in 1997. That tune was a perfect fit for the sound of 1997.

A couple of days ago I was trying to hunt down High Times by Sound Pollution, I mean, the melody that kicks in at 5:59, that's timeless stuff. I found it on the Israeli label Melodia records compilation called Trance Mix 6 from 1995. On the same compilation there's a track called Spawn by Green House Effect, and as most of you know, that's an alias for Levy Itzhak aka Sandman. So, Spawn was actually released in 1995, that's way ahead of it's time! Very impressive! An actual psytrance tune all the way back in 1995. Yeah, I know, there are more tunes ahead of it's time, I just thought you guys would appreciate this find.

On the same compilation there are two other tracks by Green House Effect called Volfgang and Arkham, and they are more in the vain of what you would expect from an Israeli trance artist in 1995.

• Like 1

Interesting find, I'm myself on a 1995/1997ish binge lately, trying specifically to find stuff from Israel from that era which I've missed out on before. Needless to say, discogs has a tendency to send you on all kinds of exciting discovery missions. :D 

Kinda curious with so many Indoor/Sound Pollution tracks featured on the Trance mix compilation, 4 in total.

10 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Interesting find, I'm myself on a 1995/1997ish binge lately, trying specifically to find stuff from Israel from that era which I've missed out on before. Needless to say, discogs has a tendency to send you on all kinds of exciting discovery missions. :D 

Kinda curious with so many Indoor/Sound Pollution tracks featured on the Trance mix compilation, 4 in total.

You need to track down Trance Mix 3. Only tracks by Har-El Prussky, Yan-iv Haviv and Edi Mis. 

A reviewer at Discogs wrote this about that compilation:

I think it is the best chapter in the whole series. It is also the most important one, because actually this was the first Israeli trance cd ever that all of its tracks were made by Israeli artists! So it is truly a pioneer! Very beautiful and melodic tracks, which led the way to the so well known Israeli trance sounds! I remember when this cd came out, and the excitement it aroused! Collectors item that is very recommended to try to get!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, staffan said:

I consider Levy Itzhak to one of the greatest of all time. Volfgang and Arkham are classics to me. I am glad you brought them up. So amazing tracks, I love it. =)))

He is indeed a great and versatile artist. I play Green House Effects album Global Warming every spring and summer, and Sandman is perfect for autumn and winter.

Psycho Toons was loved by most people on the old 604 mailing list (back in the day), and we were all hoping for a third album. There was a rumor back then that there actually was a third album, but that it didn't get released because it was "too psychedelic". Probably just a rumor, but now and then, I hope that it will turn out to be true and the holy grail that is the mythic third Sandman album will be released.

4 hours ago, Trolsk said:

You need to track down Trance Mix 3. Only tracks by Har-El Prussky, Yan-iv Haviv and Edi Mis. 

A reviewer at Discogs wrote this about that compilation:

Very interesting, a true history lesson that I need to listen to. Btw is there perhaps some old thread focusing on Israeli old school goa compilations we could resurrect, or should I create one? I would be very interested in getting the definite experience somehow, all the compilations deemed essential, plus some lesser known gems. The record store where I purchased most of my Israeli goa trance in the 90s here in Sweden, had a very good selection, but there was of course a bias towards the stuff which was most in demand at the moment, plus they had direct distribution deals I think, with lots of Israeli labels/distributors, so the most famous artists/label compilations of the time got the best exposure for sure.

Listening to this compilation now for the first time on youtube:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Trance-Mixim/release/160555

I remember seeing it in the CD-store, a really beautiful cover artwork. This track is very dreamy and totally in my taste.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Psychotoonz and Witchcraft are 2 of my favorite releases from the 90's. Sandman has a unique sound. I remember some interview in which he said something to the effect that "trance needs more MAYHEM" and this was before minimal, fullon, dark, etc split off.  Sandman and UX are what I would consider "proper dark" trance with actual music, vs just sound-effects and 20 layers of the same FM synth grind or LFO-pitch-mod rubber sound.

But yes, Spawn (and others) are way ahead of it's time.