Syb Unity Nettwerk

acid-brain

For some reason I never checked out this early project from Krys Kylven (UX) and RX Heaven, perhaps because the EPs are lower rated on Discogs.

But some of the tracks but this artist absolutely rock! They pay a ton of attention to rhythm and visual textures and are clearly inspired by industrial and EBM but combines with goa melodies. It's just a shame the mastering isn't always so good - whatever, it was the mid 90's.

Best is Tripperspaced, with its a classic swirling goa bassline, spooky main hook and perverted rhythmic melodies. Lots of breakdowns and the melodies build in intensity each time they come back. The different elements are layered so well, you can feel the incredible psychedelica unfolding around you. It reminds of Sandman/Witchcraft's early work.

My next favourite is Limited Access To The Files. Love the hihats here. This track is dark, intense and totally unhinged, heading directly into cyberpunk apocalypse. It keeps getting crazier until 8:00 when a beautiful 303 breaks out, the pressure lets up and then suddenly the foot comes down onto the pedal and evil melodies engulf the track for a very memorable ending.

The last one I want to call attention to is Lost World. This track is particularly damaged by poor mastering with an overloud kick drum, however despite this you can hear the raw talent in the track. The melody clocking in at 2:45 is tribal madness, sounding similar perhaps to a Miranda/Athena melody, but there's this massive reverb behind it, with submelodies emerging and swirling around it. It's very danceable yet poignant like the best trance music.

Oh also there's Morphogenesis, which texturally sounds like MFG's Project Genesis, with thick bubbly acidic sounds, it has some great moments but unfortunately doesn't develop and tell much of a story.

In summary, I've always thought UX - Ultimate Experience was fantastic, but it's possible these tracks are better even than anything on that album! Syb Unity Nettwerk tracks go 100mph into a different universe and are trippier than 99% of stuff that came out in the same time period. This artist deserves more credit for producing such ahead of its time music -and he gave away his remastered Ultimate Xperience album for free. Legend.

• Like 1